E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How much should these services cost? (Roughly)

02-17-2016, 02:08 AM   #1
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White ///M-Sport 335i

How much should these services cost? (Roughly)

Roughly, if I were to go to a fair and reputable Indy shop, what's the ballpark looking like for all of the following maintenance services?

Brake Fluid
Cabin Microfilter
Engine Air Filter
Power Steering Fluid
Automatic Transmission Fluid
Fuel Filter

All of which are recommended by the following "Maintenance Program: Bavarian Otto's"

Went to an Indy shop local to my house near school (not Los Angeles) and I just want to know if I was possibly being swindled or not, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 02:16 AM   #2
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Brake fluid should be around $100.

The microfilter will be ~$40 for the part, and maybe $20 labor.

Engine air filter ~$30 for the part and probably another $20 for labor.

They're both really easy to change, but they'll have to charge you something for labor.

So ~$200 for all that.

The power steering fluid is ~$25. I'm not sure about labor....I could see anything from $20 labor to $50 or $60.

The easiest (and probably best) way to change the power steering fluid is just to buy itself yourself and suck the old fluid out of the reservoir with a turkey baster. Refill it, either turn the wheels back and forth a few times or just drive it a little bit, and then repeat that until you've used your quart of fluid. Just be sure to get the correct fluid, some use ATF and others use CHF 11S.

Transmission service should be ~$500.

Unlike previous generations, the E90 doesn't have a separate fuel filter. The filter is built into the pump, and you have to replace the whole pump to change the filter. They don't typically have problems, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 03:18 AM   #3
YouAreMyWorld
///Project Aura
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White ///M-Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkasson View Post

The microfilter will be ~$40 for the part, and maybe $20 labor.

Engine air filter ~$30 for the part and probably another $20 for labor.

They're both really easy to change, but they'll have to charge you something for labor.

So ~$200 for all that.

The power steering fluid is ~$25. I'm not sure about labor....I could see anything from $20 labor to $50 or $60.

The easiest (and probably best) way to change the power steering fluid is just to buy itself yourself and suck the old fluid out of the reservoir with a turkey baster. Refill it, either turn the wheels back and forth a few times or just drive it a little bit, and then repeat that until you've used your quart of fluid. Just be sure to get the correct fluid, some use ATF and others use CHF 11S.

Transmission service should be ~$500.

Unlike previous generations, the E90 doesn't have a separate fuel filter. The filter is built into the pump, and you have to replace the whole pump to change the filter. They don't typically have problems, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Thank you, I really appreciate it.

Indy I went to quoted me $1,000 just for the transmission service alone--I nearly (yet subtly) popped a blood vessel as this man was looking me in my eyes and had the gall to come up with such an astronomical price.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 03:51 AM   #4
sp1tfire
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkasson View Post

I will challenge you on that, at least e92 335i "10 has separate fuel filter/pressure regulator, so at least all 335i's have it.
Ive seen different recommendations on when to change it ranging from "every 50k, every 4 oil changes or every time you reach less than 1/4 of tank." Ive got one laying in garage haven't gotten to replace it.

Last edited by sp1tfire; 02-17-2016 at 03:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:03 AM   #5
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1tfire View Post
I will challenge you on that, at least e92 335i "10 has separate fuel filter/pressure regulator, so at least all 335i's have it.
Ive seen different recommendations on when to change it ranging from "every 50k, every 4 oil changes or every time you reach less than 1/4 of tank." Ive got one laying in garage haven't gotten to replace it.
Oh, interesting. I think you're talking about part number 16117163295? I didn't know that the 335i was different, there's nothing like that on the 328i.

Even so, I'd imagine that it doesn't need replaced as often as they used to when they had external filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreMyWorld View Post

Indy I went to quoted me $1,000 just for the transmission service alone--I nearly (yet subtly) popped a blood vessel as this man was looking me in my eyes and had the gall to come up with such an astronomical price.
For some reference, my dealership just quoted me $610 for transmission service. I have the GM transmission. I think you may have the ZF, I'm not sure. ZF will cost a little bit more, but not that much.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 10:33 AM   #6
NoSlow5oh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335i

Quote:

Wow. Is it called a service/replacement? I would have asked him to explain how he came up with that price as I headed for my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:03 AM   #7
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
...Indy I went to quoted me $1,000 just for the transmission service alone--I nearly (yet subtly) popped a blood vessel as this man was looking me in my eyes and had the gall to come up with such an astronomical price.
kkasson's estimates are pretty close, although I suspect that the labor at a BMW indy would be 50% higher. Usually 1/4 hour is the minimum charge for any operation, which means that changing the cabin air filter would cost the filter + 1/4 * $120 or so. Hourly labor rates vary (in Seattle) from around $120 to $150 for most BMW specialty indies.

On the transmission, there are two methods of changing the fluid - drain and fill, and drain fill and flush. The 2nd cost me around $700 at my indy - fluid is pretty pricey and the flush is a bit more labor.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 03:35 PM   #8
unrealii
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 335 E93 6MT

Garage List
I would give these guys a shout:

www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1222671
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 04:40 PM   #9
E90Graphite07
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

You should really try doing the brake fluid flush yourself. It's like what, $15 in material/fluids, and then a homemade bleeder kit costing no more than $6. An hour of your time (at the most), and boom you're done.

Engine air filter, a no-brainer thing to replace yourself; Should be like $20 bucks, and even your local parts store can show/do it for you.

Cabin filter, you can order online via Amazon, for like $25 (active charcoal filter, etc.), just requires a small socket tool w/ the hood open, right near the wipers; remove four bolts, pull out old filter, put in new one and reinstall. Should take like five minutes or less to do w/ little/no mess.

Join us on Facebook:
E90Post - Houston
Houston BMW DIY Services
Appreciate 0