E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Why can't Shiv create a flash tune?

07-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i COBB 4.01 Stage 1

Why can't Shiv create a flash tune?

I've been reading daily and keeping a lookout for new tunes. I really respect Shiv's tune and would pick it over any product out there, but I wanted to know why can't Shiv create a flash tune? There are other flash tune's available, so I don't know/understand why he can't offer a flash? Is it because he's worried about cannibalizing his current tune or is he lacking the hardware to do it? If he offered a flash tune, I would definitely get it from him.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Because he doesn't want to. I don't see flash tunes doing many of the things he can do with the piggyback, and I think he is comfortable with it.

I'd say if you want a flash, go buy a flash...
      07-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
D.B.S
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35i / '13 S5

One Major draw back I see on a flash is, if you don't have all your mods already installed, then your gonna have to re-flash every time you get a new mod... With a piggy back I think you have more options available with the various stages, personally I like the idea to change your tune on the fly based on your other bolt on mods, VS. every time i change parts I have to get re-flashed... I could be wrong though...

BMW X5 35i: Boopie Exhaust & Intercooler, K&N Drop in Filter, JB3 (3+ psi)
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Custom Exhaust, Headers, 87MM Throttle Body, Diablo Custom 93 OCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep

I agree that none of the flashes out there are doing what his product is capable of; that's why I haven't purchased a flash. However, I don't feel comfortable messing around with my ecu box and therefore asked whether he is capable of creating a flash and if he is, why won't he? From the discussions I've seen, he would be able to have just as much, if not even more, control over the parameters with a flash as opposed to a piggy-back.

I understand that's it's not difficult to install the Procede, but I'm sure that people would want the convenience of flashing through the OBDII port. If he offered a flash, he would blow everyone out of the water, especially his main rival, JB3.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
bimmerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

i'm sure in 2-3 years he will. But for now, the $$$ is in the piggybacks, so for now most companies are focusing on them. I see it as an evolution of tuning, as many platforms always begin with piggybacks and then move on to flash tunes later... Its all about supply/demand
      07-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep

I agree that there will be no options to change the tune on the fly. However, people still have to update their maps with a computer through a USB port as opposed to the OBDII port with flashes.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep

I'm sure there is a high demand for a flash tune. People are still waiting for the results of the GIAC flash. People have waited for good results from ESS. People got the Dinan flashes, but seem disappointed.

Again, from all the reading I've done, Shiv is the best tuner for the 335. He has done a lot of research, has constantly updated and improved his product, and has the greatest innovations. I want a flash tune from him.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

It is on the road map.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
bimmerboy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesuperboi View Post
I'm sure there is a high demand for a flash tune. People are still waiting for the results of the GIAC flash. People have waited for good results from ESS. People got the Dinan flashes, but seem disappointed.

Again, from all the reading I've done, Shiv is the best tuner for the 335. He has done a lot of research, has constantly updated and improved his product, and has the greatest innovations. I want a flash tune from him.

I disagree. There is no "best" tuner out there. Different tuners have different philosophies, and this shows in their tunes. Some tuners are all about peak power, some are all about midrange, some are conservative, some make balls-out tunes.... I would much rather have a great tune available from a variety of tuners, so that I(the consumer) can make a decision based on what suits my style the best.
      07-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #10
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep

I hope so. I just want to know the reason why it hasn't been offered. Is it really because the piggyback solution is the best? Instead of making another version of his tune, a flash tune should be next.

BTW, I really appreciate the testing you've done in comparing tunes. I learned a lot. (Scalbert)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #11
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy View Post
I disagree. There is no "best" tuner out there. Different tuners have different philosophies, and this shows in their tunes. Some tuners are all about peak power, some are all about midrange, some are conservative, some make balls-out tunes.... I would much rather have a great tune available from a variety of tuners, so that I(the consumer) can make a decision based on what suits my style the best.
Couldn't agree more.
      07-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #12
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep

Sorry, I should have said that IN MY OPINION, Shiv's tune is the best. I agree, the best tune is whatever people prefer and choose. Sorry, I didn't mean to start a tuner war. I just wanted to know why he didn't offer a flash? I would take it one step further and ask why Terry didn't offer a flash either, but I'm more interested with Shiv's product (especially with all the CANbus stuff).
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #13
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
It will happen sooner or later. Once there is some solution for people to be able to flash the DME at home. It's the way the Evo and Subie markets went. They started out with the Exede and then gradually it became a flash with the exede and ultimately just a flash.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #14
ZTUNER
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 91 Z32TT, 2000 I30, 335i

i would really like to see something like open ecu so we can tune our own cars.

Harry
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #15
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep

I read of the history of tuning subies and evos and that it progressed from piggybacks to flashes.

However, there are other companies that have created flash tunes already. I'm awaiting the results of the GIAC tune and from my understanding, they would allow you to flash via OBDII. So, if it's technically possible, why hasn't Shiv (or Terry), who are clearly the leaders of tuning for the N54 engine, been able to create a flash for us?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #16
GeorgeSmooth
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i AT

He won't create a flash tune because he can't mail it to you.
      07-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #17
NM_BMW
Vishnu Powered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi, S1000RR

I'd rather have to pay $1000 once and be able to go through the stages and my own pace. Compared to flashes where it is going to cost you $1000 each time to flash. Whether your buying the maps online and loading them with a tool similar to the BT, or mailing in your ECU.
      07-05-2009, 07:20 PM   #18
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
However, there are other companies that have created flash tunes already. I'm awaiting the results of the GIAC tune and from my understanding, they would allow you to flash via OBDII. So, if it's technically possible, why hasn't Shiv (or Terry), who are clearly the leaders of tuning for the N54 engine, been able to create a flash for us?
There are two steps to creating a flash.

Step 1: crack the DME/ECU and determining how to load the flash correctly and easily. So far, the companies that have flashes can only do this through their own mechanisms; meaning, you send your DME to them. This is hardly convenient for the masses although it is not a deal breaker IMO. But the other issue with the first is that it often causes issues with the second. The knowledge in cracking the ECU/DME may is strictly computer science/engineering. It does not mean the individual has any knowledge on how and why and engine reacts the way it does. All they may know are the bits and bytes per say.

There is an intermediate step which can fall on either party, determining what memory addresses control what.

That leads into the Step 2, which is to actually alter the data and create a tune. Often this may be done by someone who is comfortable with engine controls and the way the engine runs. However, they may not be extremely proficient in cracking encryption algorithms. This is where most tuners come into play. They may not create the upload/download method but do understand the how’s and whys of engine tuning.

Granted, there are some companies that employ both. But often it is a sub-contracting situation for the upload/download portion or vice versa. I cannot speak for Vishnu but I suspect the delay in creating a tune is in the availability of an easy download method which seems to be getting close. In addition, with the recent inclusion of CANBus data, the need is somewhat diminished for multiple reasons.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #19
Slidewayz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

The Cobb AccessPort is used to good effect for some applications.

This little gizmo flashes the ECU and can store multiple programs so you can always revert back to stock if needed. There's also some kind of facility for uploading new maps into it so they can get shoved into the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #20
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
There are two steps to creating a flash.

Step 1: crack the DME/ECU and determining how to load the flash correctly and easily. So far, the companies that have flashes can only do this through their own mechanisms; meaning, you send your DME to them. This is hardly convenient for the masses although it is not a deal breaker IMO. But the other issue with the first is that it often causes issues with the second. The knowledge in cracking the ECU/DME may is strictly computer science/engineering. It does not mean the individual has any knowledge on how and why and engine reacts the way it does. All they may know are the bits and bytes per say.

There is an intermediate step which can fall on either party, determining what memory addresses control what.

That leads into the Step 2, which is to actually alter the data and create a tune. Often this may be done by someone who is comfortable with engine controls and the way the engine runs. However, they may not be extremely proficient in cracking encryption algorithms. This is where most tuners come into play. They may not create the upload/download method but do understand the how’s and whys of engine tuning.

Granted, there are some companies that employ both. But often it is a sub-contracting situation for the upload/download portion or vice versa. I cannot speak for Vishnu but I suspect the delay in creating a tune is in the availability of an easy download method which seems to be getting close. In addition, with the recent inclusion of CANBus data, the need is somewhat diminished for multiple reasons.
I see. So, if I'm understanding you correctly, all that is lacking from either Shiv or Terry for them to get their tunes flashed is the technical aspect loading the tune...

I hope they will be able to do it soon for the consumers that just want to flash their cars. I know there are companies that do flash tunes, but I would only want a tune from one of these two guys since they have worked really hard in bringing out the best from our cars, they participate with us, and share their expertise.

Thank you for clarifying the issue and answering my question directly.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #21
ZTUNER
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 91 Z32TT, 2000 I30, 335i

Quote:
I see. So, if I'm understanding you correctly, all that is lacking from either Shiv or Terry for them to get their tunes flashed is the technical aspect loading the tune...

I hope they will be able to do it soon for the consumers that just want to flash their cars. I know there are companies that do flash tunes, but I would only want a tune from one of these two guys since they have worked really hard in bringing out the best from our cars, they participate with us, and share their expertise.

Thank you for clarifying the issue and answering my question directly.
Not really - if i am not mistaken none of the piggys change the actual fuel / timing or other maps. They are simply modifying the signal from various sensors and fooling the ecu. ie there is nothing to "flash" onto the factory ecu.

Harry
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #22
bimmerboy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidewayz View Post
The Cobb AccessPort is used to good effect for some applications.

This little gizmo flashes the ECU and can store multiple programs so you can always revert back to stock if needed. There's also some kind of facility for uploading new maps into it so they can get shoved into the ECU.
+1, this is what i used to run in my subaru, and it was amazing. I emailed cobb, but got a generic response.. Maybe more of us need to email cobb in order to show them a potential market for the accesport...

I think the rest of this year will be very interesting for n54 owners, as we will finally get to see some solid flash tunes become avaiable