E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 320D M Sport Plus

04-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
dirtydarthdub
Private
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport Plus

E90 320D M Sport Plus

Hey all,

I'm going to be swapping from my current Golf MK5 GT to the 320d M Sport Plus as a company car. I could do with some advice on a few questions before confirming the order at work if you could all be so kind;

1)Media Package – BMW Business (code ZB3) £1,120
2)Loudspeaker System – BMW Business (code 676) £400
3)USB Audio Interface (code 6FL) £210

1)Can the smaller iDrive screen show album art? Do you need an ipod for this or could I just use a flash drive/HDD? I already embed all album covers in my music files for use on my HTC HD2 and home network so I have loads ready to go.

2)I think I'm set on the above options since the sport plus comes loaded with so much kit anyway. I wanted to know if I'm making a mistake going for the 'BMW Business' speaker system, is it really as pants as some people say? Would I be better off going with the standard speakers and buying the Alpine upgrade kit then fitting it myself - however this sounds like this can mean you get a less useful hifi in the dash with different power anyway? If I take the speakers off the list I would prob swap for the heated seats instead. Not really that keen on messing about with the car though since it's not 'mine' exactly. Does anyone have an up to date price for the Alpine kit?

I won't even get started on how difficult I'm finding picking between Black and LeMans Blue!!! I have a black car at the moment and while it looks awesome when clean it does get on my nerves how hard it is to keep looking good!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
deeno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 330d Xdrive M SPORT

You would not be able to fit the alpine upgrade yourself as post 03/2009 cars need a couple of hours recoding at a dealers. The business sound system isnt top drawer, but its a significant step up from the basic stock system which doesnt even have tweeters.

Unless you are an audiophile you would probably be quite happy with the Business upgrade.

Colour wise blue is a little easier to keep clean, but black looks so nice, tough choice!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
dirtydarthdub
Private
Rep

Ahh - cheers for the heads up....I can delete all these saved Alpine pages from my browser now haha! I'm not an audiophile (or any other 'phile for that matter ) but I do enjoy clarity as opposed to boom boom quantity. I'm sure it will be fine for me.

What colour did you go for? This website has a fantastic section with all the colours split into different posts - I would love a black one and then pop the black grill on, but they get so dirty so quick, and visiting the folks every couple of weekends on the farm will make me go ocd on cleaning it! I saw the blue in a multistorey car park recently and it looked really nice, the blue is nicely different to other cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
deeno
Private First Class
Rep

Mine is Space Grey. Its a great colour in that you can go several weeks without cleaning it and it still looks presentable, dont think its available for sport plus though which only has a few colours available.

It might be worth going down to a dealers and checking out a blue or a black one and seeing which your happiest with
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
Dizzle
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 335xD

Superb move !

Definitely go for the loudspeaker system, such a difference when comparing to the original. I've got the sport plus and I went for Xenons, heated seats, USB and loudspeaker over the 'standard' kit, heres mine http://www.e90post.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3896. Love every moment driving it, no regrets on my choices.

I went for Le mans blue, perfect match for the sitching on the seats, and having owned an Alpine White 1 series I faniced a change.

Last edited by Dizzle; 04-19-2011 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Dizzle
Major
Rep

White one : http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508767

Black one: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=432457&page=3
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
dirtydarthdub
Private
Rep

Dizzle - very tasty, I think the LeMans Blue actually gets cooler looking in overcast/darker conditions like your first pic, I will stick with blue I think. I just spent the whole weekend getting my Golfs black paint up to a nice finish again to sell it - don't fancy doing that again!

I've seen yours before aswell - it comes up on google images search alot!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
dirtydarthdub
Private
Rep

deeno - I really did like the Space Grey that I saw but for the price difference I wanted the sport plus package. Saw it when I was looking at the msport package;

And heres a pic of my soon to be departed Golf;

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
dirtydarthdub
Private
Rep

I know it's a big ask, but does anyone have a pic/link to an M Sport Le Mans Blue and a Black one side by side or in the same photo? I'm 94.304193% sure I want a Blue one.....just want to make it to 100%!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

media prof is worth the extra in my view.

Space grey - just looks like primer to me, personally cant understand why anyone would spec that imho!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 10:49 AM   #11
Dizzle
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydarthdub View Post
I know it's a big ask, but does anyone have a pic/link to an M Sport Le Mans Blue and a Black one side by side or in the same photo? I'm 94.304193% sure I want a Blue one.....just want to make it to 100%!
lol I'll see what I can do. Theres a black one at work so depends if hes in and where hes parked.... I'll try my best this week.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #12
edowen
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, 991 GTS, Cayenne S D

My ex co. car was Le Mans - lovely colour
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #13
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

I had a LMB e90 M sport. It always looked a bit rubbish when dirty or on dull days in Glasgow but when it's clean and the sun is out it's one of the best BMW colours IMO.

I saw a Black and LMB sport plus at the Esso station opposite Douglas Park in Hillington the other week and the LMB looked just a little bit more special (admittedly I'm biased). It really suits the anthracite MV3s and the blue stitching on the leather seals the package. The addition of a black grille would make it an all round win.

Nice wheels on that golf. I'm after some 18" BBS CHs at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #14
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d XD M Sport

Black is much nicer
      04-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #15
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318i M Sport E91

Le Mans Blue (E91 owner)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #16
wibster
Enlisted Member
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d EfficientDynamics

Hi

I've got the same Media Package Business and yes the album art does display, but only on the media menu when music is playing, although the album cover is quite small it still looks pretty cool

If you're on the nav display the only information displayed regarding media being played is the 'track' number, i.e., if you're playing an album 1 = 1st track etc., or similarly the same applies if playing a playlist, there is no other detail displayed, such as track name etc.

I don't beleive that you have to use an iPod to display album art, although that's what I've permanently got connected (through the USB interface). I'll give it a go with my HTC DHD and see if that works, but I beleive that if the artwork is available with the tracks it able to be displayed, irrespective of the source device

I'll also connect the phone via bluetooth for media streaming and see if the artwork displays this way as well

I'll post you some pics and updates within the next day

I hope this helps
2011 E90 320d EfficientDynamics - Jet Black, Gloss Black Inserts, Sun Protection Glass, Antracite Impulse Leather/Cloth Seats, Split Folding Rear Seats, Folding & Sliding Front Armrest, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise Control, Media Package - Business Advanced (iDrive, Business Navigation, Bluetooth with Telematics, BMW-ConnectedDrive), USB Audio Interface, Auto Lights & Wipers, Electric Folding Mirrors
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #17
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportplus View Post
Le Mans Blue (E91 owner)
I get mine Thursday morning. I'm just a little exited.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #18
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d XD M Sport

Just thinking I would also consider 6NR as an option if it's available now. It used to be you needed 6FL & 6NF for all the functionality of the media package but I think now 6NR includes 6NF.

It will give you the upcoming iPod integration and Internet radio etc. With a bit of luck it will also integrate Spotify!
      04-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #19
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydarthdub View Post
deeno - I really did like the Space Grey that I saw but for the price difference I wanted the sport plus package. Saw it when I was looking at the msport package;

And heres a pic of my soon to be departed Golf;

That looks suspiciously like an Edition 30 you are getting rid of ! Superb car .... I really miss mine - and have always regretted selling it ...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #20
deeno
Private First Class
Rep

Heres mine after it handnt been washed for 5 weeks, still looks ok!

Personally I would go with black if I were you, LMB does look good no doubt but I think black just edges it!

Mine also has the sun protection glass rear tints which gives the car a nicer look, although its main use is to keep the sun out of my one year olds eyes. I would also spec
auto lights if I were you, its 'only' £90 or so extra and worked well on my old 330d.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #21
dirtydarthdub
Private
Rep

Wow, that's an impressive amount of responses there - for the Glasgow guy i've been in Cottiers for a few hours and then a few whiskys after so forgive the grammer and spelling - I thought Pistonheads and golf forums were friendly but this is a (sorry!) big surprise. You guys should go on TopGear and dispell the BMW myths.........you did all order the optional 65quid indicators didn't you? lol!

Wher to start - I am pretty set on the Blue, I saw a Black on the way home from work and then a quick bit of shopping after and saw a Blue, it looks out of the ordinary and I would wax it up right good so would look better easier. I am really sick of trying to keep the Black Golf clean and tidy....after heading home and lambing last weekend past it is minging and pretty much gets that way everytime I drive it on the motorway.

SO8 - Sorry, the amount of miles I do theres no chance of an Edition30. Mines is a very very very well looked after Golf Mk5 GT 2.0 TDI. I am really gutted to have to sell it, but how often do you get offered a 32000+ car for peanuts?! Gonna be on Autotrader and PH soon. That car has wanted for nothing! Had BBS CH alloys put on it with some Falkin Fk452 rubber - completely changed the car, it can corner and handle so much better than a TDI should. Love the looks too!

B33m3r - I'll look into that, the accronyms are spinning ma head!

Rich168 - I hate you, Ive been quoted end of June/start July. Hope you enjy yours and pist some pics!!

Wibster - cheers, thats really helpfull. If i'm honest I really just want the screen for the media and car info....my hd2 and other windows phone have awesome (downloaded) satnav so no worries for that although it would be great if it did work half decent. If you have a pic of the thing playing an album that would be cool.

Dizzle - that would be great, dont get caught taking photos on my behalf though!! I am pretty set on Blue but it always helps!

I really need to use the bathroom and also catch up with my pal in New Zealand on xbox live so catch you all tomrrw. Thanks for the helpfull posts.!

Deeno - after my Golf i would quite like 'normal' everything! I can't stand my auto lights - they flash people in front everytime I leave work and go under an underpass, really I don't need the car to pick the lights for me. and my auto wipers are worse.......people shouldn't need to be prompted to wipe their windscreens and then the thing wipes at EXACTLY the WRONG speed lol.

Last edited by dirtydarthdub; 04-19-2011 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #22
BobaKet
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Le Man Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportplus View Post
Le Mans Blue (E91 owner)
I get mine Thursday morning. I'm just a little exited.
Blue all the way!! I struggled for ages choosing my colour, must have gone through them all at some point - nearly settled for Space Grey... looks amazing too.

Our company car schemes crazy, I could (and did) get an M Sport fully loaded for the same price as getting the standard Sport Plus with no options - although tax works out a little more.

rich1068 - out of curiosity when did you order yours? Mine is due 20th May, but my mate just got his delivery brought forward 2 weeks.. I'm itching to get mine now, don't know how much longer I can wait!!!
Appreciate 0