E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > A decent non-iDrive solution for Nav+iPhone (audio & video)+Backup Camera

05-01-2010, 01:24 AM   #1
jjoseph7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive 35i

A decent non-iDrive solution for Nav+iPhone (audio & video)+Backup Camera

I wanted to briefly share my relatively cheap and readily reversible solution for navi/back-up camera/iPhone audio+video integration. I spent under $200 for everything used. Sorry for the out of focus pics. The clarity of the video on the display is pretty good, I just couldn't get my camera to focus.

This obviously isn't a detailed DIY, just wanted to share the idea with others who may be interested. Everything can be installed in less than an hour and I combined a bunch of info from around the forum to do some of the wiring. If there is enough interest I'd be happy to post more pics and answer questions.

What I used:

-Garmin Nuvi 5000 ($140, eBay)
-Nuvi Vent Mount ($7, eBay)
-3.5mm to composite/RCA video cable ($3, eBay)
-female-to-female composite video coupler (to join the cable from the iPhone or backup camera to the video cable for the Nuvi) ($3, radio shack)
-Apple Dock connector to composite video+USB cable ($50, Apple store OR $3, eBay)
-Backup Camera ($35, eBay, something like this)

Note: to get video out from the iPhone, if your phone is jailbroken, you can actually install a package on Cydia to enable functionality with cheap eBay cables making the $50 Apple cable (what I'm using) unnecessary. Also note that your iPhone will need to be jailbroken anyway to allow mirroring of the screen as I am doing it here.

So basically only the iPhone OR the backup cam can output to the GPS at one time. I have all the wiring going through my armrest storage compartment, so if I want to switch video sources from backup cam to iPhone or vice-versa, I just disconnect one compostite cable and connect the other, right under the armrest…simple enough.

I have the backup camera powered by the line for the reverse lights so it only gets power when I'm in reverse. The GPS has a backup camera mode in which if it senses a video signal, it will instantly display it on the screen, regardless of whether it's actively navigating or just standing by. When I throw it back in drive, the video disappears and the nav screen returns.

When my jailbroken iPhone 3GS is connected, the video can be displayed by selecting to view the video input on the Nuvi. I am using a TV Out Mirroring app from Cydia to mirror my iPhone's display. Bascially I can view the home screen, watch YouTube videos, surf the web, read texts/e-mail, look at music info, watch movies, or use any iPhone app with the video displaying on the screen. Obviously all touch input still has to go through the iPhone, but it's certainly nice for surfing through the music on my iPhone without having to look down at the phone to see what I'm doing. If you have a Slingbox, you can also use the SlingPlayer Mobile App to output live television onto the screen while in the car, anywhere you have a 3G signal. The single cable connected to the iPhone charges the phone, outputs audio to the car stereo via the aux-in, and obviously outputs video to the Nuvi.

Now for some pics...

The camera:

On the interior:

When in park/drive:

In reverse:

iPhone display mirrored onto nav screen:

Displaying a movie using the native iPod app on my iPhone 3GS:

Slingplayer App, live television:

Last edited by jjoseph7; 05-01-2010 at 01:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
Ovalcram
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Very cool!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 02:22 AM   #3
EZ_TUR90
Ez tur90
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M6

impressive
      05-01-2010, 02:50 AM   #4
modtheebmw
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90

interested here bro, how much u looking to sell the entire set up new? no errors?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Nice! I like that. You should look into this mount though.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=kuda+mount
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
jjoseph7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalcram View Post
Very cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ_TUR90 View Post
impressive
Thanks! Great functionality IMO and cheap for what you get out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modtheebmw View Post
interested here bro, how much u looking to sell the entire set up new? no errors?
I'm not actually selling anything, just sharing my set-up. The license plate LED in the backup camera housing will throw an bulb-out error in 2006 models, but this can be cleared by running some resistors in parallel (I followed a DIY from here). 2007 and newer models shouldn't have issues. As I mentioned though, you can buy everything needed for this setup for $200-$250 (sans the iPhone and the Slingbox).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Nice! I like that. You should look into this mount though.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=kuda+mount
Thanks and good call, I'm actually planning to do this next, I am a little hesitant to rip out the AC controls and the dash but it would make the position of the screen/appearance slightly cleaner. Will post pics if/when I end up doing it.

Last edited by jjoseph7; 05-01-2010 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
alexdee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 328i coupe

Wow this is awesome, I will have to do it sometime or later. Should work exactly the same on a 2007 e92 328i I assume?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
jjoseph7
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdee View Post
Wow this is awesome, I will have to do it sometime or later. Should work exactly the same on a 2007 e92 328i I assume?

Yep, the setup and install shouldn't be any different on an 07 E92, except that you won't have to worry about a bulb-out error. If you collect all the parts needed you can knock out the install in an hour or so. Feel free to PM me or post here if you have questions.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoseph7 View Post
Thanks and good call, I'm actually planning to do this next, I am a little hesitant to rip out the AC controls and the dash but it would make the position of the screen/appearance slightly cleaner. Will post pics if/when I end up doing it.
It's not that major. Just follow the DIYs.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #10
Unknowing
Registered
Rep
Drives: Cash poor- it's a vw not a BMW

Joseph7-

You are the only one I could find doing this online! thank you so much for posting.

Could you tell me if it is possible to eliminate the Nuvi all together and just run a camera to the iphone, someway?

so when I power the camera it shows up on my iphone?

Thanks for any help

John
Appreciate 0