E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast > Official Louisiana chat thread (#2)

07-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #2355
str8nm
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2011 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaq diesel View Post
Yeah, if you want the shit, whole shit, and nothing but the shit you're gonna have to get a GTR. Everything else is catered to a specific audience. I take it since you keep going back and forth that straight line speed is your primary driver?
Well yes and no. I want manuverability in traffic, quick acceleration and deceleration, zip in and out, dodge and weave...1/4 mile is not important but 0-80 is for sure.
      07-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #2356
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 Alpine White E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8nm View Post
Well yes and no. I want manuverability in traffic, quick acceleration and deceleration, zip in and out, dodge and weave...1/4 mile is not important but 0-80 is for sure.
In this case I'd have to say modding Vadar is probably your best bet. You know the car best (only owner), and your desires pinpoint you to wanting low end torque for low to moderate speeds. The only way an M3 would truly beat it out for that particular set of wants is with a supercharger (and that's mo money!)

If you had a desire to do track days or did a lot of back road driving I'd say consider the M3 a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #2357
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jet Black E92 M3

That car show that ACEE mentioned is not THIS weekend, it's next weekend. Unless, there is something else going on??
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #2358
str8nm
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2011 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
That car show that ACEE mentioned is not THIS weekend, it's next weekend. Unless, there is something else going on??
That's right.
      07-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #2359
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Did PCA HPDE yesterday. A few observations...

- this V8 was made to be revved!

- so much torque/power up top! It's heavenly to let her wind out!

- M-mode is very lenient. It lets the tail end get just squirrelly enough so you can catch it (in the wet). I never broke the rears when the track was dry (although I wasn't trying to either)

- the brakes were great. Changed out brake fluid to Super Blue and didn't get any fading at all. The car stayed extremely composed in deep braking scenarios. Even my instructor was praising the braking of the car. And that's with stock pads/rotors.

- tires did well. The pilot super sports did not give me many surprises. Nor was I really driving to the point where they should have surprised me. I probably could have helped myself by lowering the tire pressure but I was out there to focus on my skill and seeing what the track was about. I'll save timing improvements for later.

- the track is fun. Numerous times I heard people say for a flat track they thought it would be boring but it has enough technical merit to keep you well engaged! And that is the truth. Learning to go around this track fast is not easy. I was just happy to nail a few of the corners! I can definitely see why people keep coming back for more. It takes a serious level of concentration to master this track!

- PCA did a wonderful job with the event. To say it was run efficiently would be an understatement! The grid times for all the groups were spot on within 5 minutes! The drivers out there did well, a few spins but no major hiccups or red/black flags as far as I knew for the day. Only thing I wish was that they had more water near the paddock (versus having to go to the kart center) but the social they did afterwards was nice!

- gotta give some credit to my instructor as well. Richard Duperon was a great guy and taught me at a level I was very comfortable with. While I know I have a ton of stuff to work on (you're not going to learn everything you need to become a fast driver in one day...) he definitely helped set me on the right path!

- as far as what I took away from it? I definitely need to work on my early turn-in instincts. That made late apexing incredibly hard but the few times I fought my basic nature and nailed it was extremely rewarding! I had good throttle control but it still needs some work. Although I think if I get better at apexing and keeping up speed it "should" get rid of the desire to tap the 414 horses to make up for my errors all the time! And I need to work on shifting! I purposely shifted very minimally because I wanted to work on other things (and being able to rev out to 8K+ helped avoid shifting on some of the straights along with giving me a wonderful 8MPG!)

And outside of getting the "engine oil level at minimum" signal when I got home (which is not all that unexpected since she was indicating she was about half way to that signal early in the week) Vicky held up like a champ! Although I will say with the mounds of brake dust on the wheels as I was leaving I suspect I'll be eeking out the free brake change before 45K.

Today just reaffirmed my stance that if you own a BMW you definitely need to put her on the track! At least once!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #2360
Mkah
Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

What marker were you braking at before turn 1? Overfill the oil next time. I always put an extra quart in.
      07-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #2361
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The deepest I went in was the 300yd marker. I'll definitely do that for the oil next time.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 04:11 AM   #2362
Yodaime
Just a normal member.
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Banh Xeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkah View Post
What marker were you braking at before turn 1? Overfill the oil next time. I always put an extra quart in.
around 300m sometimes alittle before. I watched him he did pretty good. he'll get used to corner 1. its sharp as an arrow but you'll love it when you get the hang of it. I know Grant got it down hahaha.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #2363
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaime View Post
around 300m sometimes alittle before. I watched him he did pretty good. he'll get used to corner 1. its sharp as an arrow but you'll love it when you get the hang of it. I know Grant got it down hahaha.
I wish I would have known you were out there. I would of stayed around and said hi!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #2364
Onurleft
Captain
Rep
Drives: RPM

Congrats Stu, hopefully we will see you out there in November with N.A.S.A, remember to sign up early for that event. You and your car looked great out there.

Tim, Clayton (especially after reading your latest posts, i've diagnosed your needs), and Doc it would be really cool if ya'll signed up as well. I was talking to Stu about how we should get a Bimmerpost crowd together and he could take some pictures of us in full force. That would be really fun
      07-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #2365
Tim B.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Jet Black E92 M3

I looked at it already but it's my weekend to work.....might try to switch for 1 day atleast. Not sure my car is so track ready anyway....with 41K miles on my original stock pads/rotors & suspension....things are gettin a little soft & squirrelly Hoping to get brakes done under maintenance plan in the next 3 or 4 months....we'll see
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #2366
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
I looked at it already but it's my weekend to work.....might try to switch for 1 day atleast. Not sure my car is so track ready anyway....with 41K miles on my original stock pads/rotors & suspension....things are gettin a little soft & squirrelly Hoping to get brakes done under maintenance plan in the next 3 or 4 months....we'll see
Just get your brake fluid changed out. Stock pads did rather well for me with 35K on them. Granted your case is a bit different with the supercharger... But I can definitely attest to the fact that the stock pad work well stopping from 130...

although I'm curious about your suspension feeling squirrely so soon. In every car I've kept long enough, the stock suspension didn't start giving up till around 80K-100K. I was hoping to get the same out of this car as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 12:19 AM   #2367
Yodaime
Just a normal member.
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Banh Xeo

Quote:
I wish I would have known you were out there. I would of stayed around and said hi!
haha you know I work there sir
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #2368
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaime View Post
haha you know I work there sir
Ah, I know you did corner working there but didn't realize you worked all the events! Now I know! LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #2369
Mkah
Motorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Just get your brake fluid changed out. Stock pads did rather well for me with 35K on them. Granted your case is a bit different with the supercharger... But I can definitely attest to the fact that the stock pad work well stopping from 130...

although I'm curious about your suspension feeling squirrely so soon. In every car I've kept long enough, the stock suspension didn't start giving up till around 80K-100K. I was hoping to get the same out of this car as well.
There is a lot to be gained with aftermarket pads. The cost/reward is very small.
      07-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #2370
LSUbimmer
Your mom's house
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Get LUX. That's the bulbs you need to look like Phuoc and I
Sara I looked on the site and the LUX looks like the best option that ive found as well.

Im about to order them bc I cant stand this ugly amber. There are like 10 settings on them from hyper white-blue. Im sticking with the white to avoid the fast and furious look. thanks for the help.

btw LA weather was cray last week actually tried to go to the beach twice and it was overcast both days until we got back to LA then it was perfect out..go figure.

2011 M3 DCT, ZCP - LUX H8, BPM Stage 2 Tune, ACM Test Pipes, BPM Sport Coding w/ Euro MDM
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #2371
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUbimmer View Post
Sara I looked on the site and the LUX looks like the best option that ive found as well.

Im about to order them bc I cant stand this ugly amber. There are like 10 settings on them from hyper white-blue. Im sticking with the white to avoid the fast and furious look. thanks for the help.

btw LA weather was cray last week actually tried to go to the beach twice and it was overcast both days until we got back to LA then it was perfect out..go figure.
Yeah it was COLD in Newport Beach where I live. I wore PANTS and BOOTS and a long sleeve jacket!!! burr!!! 61 degrees and windy
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #2372
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah it was COLD in Newport Beach where I live. I wore PANTS and BOOTS and a long sleeve jacket!!! burr!!! 61 degrees and windy
LOL!!! Just messing with ya! Finally found a reason to use that "Cool" smilie!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #2373
str8nm
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2011 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Why you never answer my question?????
      07-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #2374
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8nm View Post
Why you never answer my question?????
what question??!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #2375
LSUbimmer
Your mom's house
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i

Quote:
what question??!!!!
Ya boi wants the hook up on an M3!

I drove the 335 today to Fishers to look at rim repair.. $238/rim ouch. Might just buy some used ones off of ebay or I might just sell as is and if the buyer wants me to shave some off my price I will to just avoid the headache of buying and putting on new rims.

2011 M3 DCT, ZCP - LUX H8, BPM Stage 2 Tune, ACM Test Pipes, BPM Sport Coding w/ Euro MDM
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #2376
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

DOC I can hook you up.. Send me a PM
Appreciate 0