E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > Hong Kong road quality

01-07-2013, 01:45 AM   #1
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Hong Kong road quality

I'm curious as to how HK's road quality is compared to elsewhere in the West and in China. I'm sure all HK roads met certain safety requirements, but the quality of certain HK roads leave much to be desired (as in their surfacing and paving). The highways like Tolo/Fanling or North Lantau are fine, but some urban roads are really not that great from my experience. Is it because since all the electrical power cables and water pipes are built under the road, so they need to be constantly digged up and repaved? Even so, that would usually mean HK roads are of better quality. But that is not the case in reality. Certains roads are really lumpy and I do wonder how much extra wear and tear that causes to the suspension.

Heck, even some newer roads on the mainland are of better quality. I remember in Canada, the roads are notorious for their potholes, but otherwise they are superior to HK (non-highway) roads in terms of their smoothness. Why is that the case?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 01:56 AM   #2
Ryan_M
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 3.0si / R171 SLK55

I had this discussion a few weeks ago with my friend who is an engineer from Canada. He told me that HK uses concrete mainly because it is more durable and is better for irrigation.

Tarmac is used in certain place in HK but the problem is that tarmac is not very weather-proof. This is why you will see bulges on some HK roads where tarmac has been laid as it has been stressed by repeated usage and high heat. This also explains why there are more pot-holes in N. America. That said, tarmac is definitely easier on road users and tires generally.
      01-07-2013, 04:28 AM   #3
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E92 | N55 F15 | N55 E70

Interesting Ryan. Thanks for teaching me something new

One major issue is that the highway's department subcontracts much of it's work to the private sector. It's no secret that due to a lack of space, our roads are constantly being dug up to repair electric/gas/water lines. These private companies do an extremely shoddy job of repairing the roads once they're done. There are inconsistencies in gradient, road surface and general evenness, that are sometimes serious enough to be a safely hazard.

In order to ensure consistently, I believe the highways department should be responsible for resurfacing roads themselves. If that's not feasible, they should issue very strict guidelines to ensure that certain standards are met, and enforce regulations with fines for private companies that do not comply.
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 04:21 AM   #4
cc_bavarian
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2007+ E90 330i

Garage List
2007 E90 330i  [0.00]
Shenzhen is great. I actually prefer driving there than HK. Roads are wider especially in Futian and North Shenzhen.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laguna Seca Blue View Post
Interesting Ryan. Thanks for teaching me something new

One major issue is that the highway's department subcontracts much of it's work to the private sector. It's no secret that due to a lack of space, our roads are constantly being dug up to repair electric/gas/water lines. These private companies do an extremely shoddy job of repairing the roads once they're done. There are inconsistencies in gradient, road surface and general evenness, that are sometimes serious enough to be a safely hazard.

In order to ensure consistently, I believe the highways department should be responsible for resurfacing roads themselves. If that's not feasible, they should issue very strict guidelines to ensure that certain standards are met, and enforce regulations with fines for private companies that do not comply.
Good suggestion, there needs to be better enforcement of road standards. Who is in charge of HK's road quality? Highway Department or the Civil Engineering and Development department?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
Slow_335i
Daily Driven!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335I  [7.02]
Roads in the US are complete shit! They repair the roads with crap...

Last edited by Slow_335i; 01-08-2013 at 09:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
BMWseeker
Private
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMan View Post
Good suggestion, there needs to be better enforcement of road standards. Who is in charge of HK's road quality? Highway Department or the Civil Engineering and Development department?
High Department has a guideline as to the quality of the roads. However, it's not really that rigorous.

And as most of you know, the gov contracts the work out to the highest bidder (or rather the lowest bidder, whoever can do the job for the lowest cost).

And, as a matter of construction contracts, the contractor is free to use whatever material that is feasible to complete the job.

So when budget is tight, new tarmac would not be laid, the road would just be reconditioned.

This is completely different from Canada, where the gov does the job (a division of the gov anyway).
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #8
css
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Macan S

i found roads in HK to be shit and noisy, especially comparing to Japan, i've always wondered how Japan (e.g. Tokyo) with such high density of cars could maintain such good quality roads where in HK it doesnt...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #9
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWseeker View Post
High Department has a guideline as to the quality of the roads. However, it's not really that rigorous.

And as most of you know, the gov contracts the work out to the highest bidder (or rather the lowest bidder, whoever can do the job for the lowest cost).

And, as a matter of construction contracts, the contractor is free to use whatever material that is feasible to complete the job.

So when budget is tight, new tarmac would not be laid, the road would just be reconditioned.

This is completely different from Canada, where the gov does the job (a division of the gov anyway).
I think it's time for someone to write a letter to one of the local newspaper to raise this issue. Nothing like a little publicity to get the Highway Department to act. Of course, they are more likely to do nothing, but giving them a little pressure won't hurt.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 12:56 AM   #10
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oda View Post
i found roads in HK to be shit and noisy, especially comparing to Japan, i've always wondered how Japan (e.g. Tokyo) with such high density of cars could maintain such good quality roads where in HK it doesnt...
Yeah, and despite the fact that some Japan roads are even narrower than Hong Kong's, their quality is superior to HK's roads.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
playground
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M3

hk roads is not bad. can get around town with 19" or even 20" wheels no problem. The roads back in america are just horrendous. pot holes and debris everywhere.

Most of the time the traffic is slow in HK anyways, so I don't worry about breaking a wheel as much as I would in us/canada.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #12
bmwownage
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

I think HK road quality is crap in general. The thing about lowest bid is true because I was told that by a contractor, so you have roads that are of the crap quality, shit grip too in alot of places... and honestly, i think 90% of the roads here either have no banking, or wrong banking.. it's really dangerous.

I used to drive in New Zealand and i must say even sub-urban, inter-city highways with no traffic lights, are of better quality and much better design than here.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #13
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3

Should try the roads here in the UK

Smoothest was in Germany, then went to Holland, slightly worse, then France, then Belgium. Progressively worse. But then when I got off the ferry across the channel, I realized that it's much worse here in UK compared to all the previous roads. Massive holes everywhere!! Bent one of my alloys before going over them. Always try to avoid but didn't see it that time.