E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Changing waterpump without a lift....is it tough?

04-12-2016, 07:03 PM   #23
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

FYI, you only need to drop the sway bar, no need to remove fan or anything else, at least on a 335i

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 08:15 PM   #24
zoppp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk55 View Post
jack stands are safe if you decent ones... dont get chinese harbor freight specials...

http://www.usjack.com/images/pdfs/Jack%20Stands.pdf

i got the 6 ton stands for extra room, their engineered well and made in the US.. like you i am not gonna risk my life with a cheap jack stand on a tilted driveway.

i am also planning to get a decent floor jack too this summer to give me extra lift.

or you can use ramps.. to get the car up.
I have Harbor Freight ones. The work just fine, the welds look good (I do lots of welding on my own). I have 3 ton rated jacks so I have a large factor of safety.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2016, 09:11 PM   #25
MrSmileyDC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Garage List
2016 BMW F82  [0.00]
Did this on ramps. Took 4-5 hours. It's helpful to have a flexible hose clamp screwdriver too for some of the angles you might be in.

ED 8/18 - PCD 10/19 | 2016 F82 M4 6MT | Alpine White | CF Roof | CF Trim | Black Extended Leather | Executive Package | Lighting Package | Adaptive M Suspension | 19" 437M Black Wheels
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #26
gabylonfive
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3, 05 Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Bav Auto has a great video. The only change I did differently when I changed mine last year was remove the fan and FMIC before changing the thermostat & water pump; this created a significant amount of room to work. Also, if your near 100k, change out the U shaped connecting pipe while your at it.

It can be done on 4 Jack stands with a supporting Jack.
+1 - spend the extra 20 minutes to get the FMIC and fan out. It makes this job significantly easier if you can pull the t-stat hoses off from the top/front of the motor instead of underneath.

One thing I noticed the first time I did this was that BMW angles the hose clamp bolts upwards which makes it kind of a PITA to get a socket onto them to loosen. Have a flex driver or 1/4 ujoint handy. When you button everything back up point them downwards to make it easier when you have to go back in there.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 08:23 PM   #27
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabylonfive View Post
+1 - spend the extra 20 minutes to get the FMIC and fan out. It makes this job significantly easier if you can pull the t-stat hoses off from the top/front of the motor instead of underneath.

One thing I noticed the first time I did this was that BMW angles the hose clamp bolts upwards which makes it kind of a PITA to get a socket onto them to loosen. Have a flex driver or 1/4 ujoint handy. When you button everything back up point them downwards to make it easier when you have to go back in there.
I was very worried about this, but luckily I was able to access those hose clamps from above with the cooling fan out. And I didn't even have a flexible driver - searched for one and haven't found one yet...

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2016, 04:30 PM   #28
gabylonfive
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 M3, 05 Elise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
I was very worried about this, but luckily I was able to access those hose clamps from above with the cooling fan out. And I didn't even have a flexible driver - searched for one and haven't found one yet...
Good to hear. Yeah having the fan out helps quite a bit.

FYI I found one of these flex drivers to be handy:

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63200-Fl...ds=flex+driver
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2016, 09:13 AM   #29
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo Loco View Post
Maybe it's just me but I'll be super paranoid crawling under a car on jack stands. $200 is not worth the risk of being crushed to death.
lol. exactly!

The E90 are not DIY friendly at all. I did my entire E46 coolant system just standing over the open hood!

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 09:17 PM   #30
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: nothing

I am resurrecting this thread to ask a question: aside from overheat warning and radiator fan going crazy, what is a good way to be sure water has failed? What about trying to bleed the cooling system by initiating the process (setting the fan on low, pushing the pas, etc...) and see if pump runs when car is off?

It is a e92 which is running fine but I have a spare pump and thermostat to replace them myself if needed.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 05:15 AM   #31
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Pleaser View Post
I am resurrecting this thread to ask a question: aside from overheat warning and radiator fan going crazy, what is a good way to be sure water has failed? What about trying to bleed the cooling system by initiating the process (setting the fan on low, pushing the pas, etc...) and see if pump runs when car is off?

It is a e92 which is running fine but I have a spare pump and thermostat to replace them myself if needed.

Thanks,
search the numerous WP threads.... just scan the car for the codes 2E81 and 2E82. If you find them, the pump is bad.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0