E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > 2008 335xi Lease End | To Buy or No?

12-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
nivek311
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW e90 M3

2008 335xi Lease End | To Buy or No?

I did a unique lease option on my 2008 335xi for a 2 year term. My lease is up in February. I initially got the car intending to purchase, ultimately, and only leased it for the small payment and an opt out in case I didn't like the car. I absolutely LOVE this car. It is by far the best sedan I've ever owned, so that's no longer a question. I traded in my 2007 GTI, which was paid for, and got $20k towards my 335xi, so I'm sort of heaviliy invested into this car, which is fine, since the initial intent was to purchase.

My residual is approx. $35k. My question: has anyone ever contacted BMW FS directly and negotiated pricing on lease pay-off amount? I contacted my dealer and they quoted me $1,000 off the residual and told me that BMW FS had given them that figure. Should I wait until closer to my lease end and contact BMW FS directly and see if they want to play on the price?

ALSO, has anyone ever let a BMW dealer take back their lease and then bought back the same car at a discount? I've been told the dealer might sometimes do that.

Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
Cookiemonster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335XI e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivek311 View Post
I did a unique lease option on my 2008 335xi for a 2 year term. My lease is up in February. I initially got the car intending to purchase, ultimately, and only leased it for the small payment and an opt out in case I didn't like the car. I absolutely LOVE this car. It is by far the best sedan I've ever owned, so that's no longer a question. I traded in my 2007 GTI, which was paid for, and got $20k towards my 335xi, so I'm sort of heaviliy invested into this car, which is fine, since the initial intent was to purchase.

My residual is approx. $35k. My question: has anyone ever contacted BMW FS directly and negotiated pricing on lease pay-off amount? I contacted my dealer and they quoted me $1,000 off the residual and told me that BMW FS had given them that figure. Should I wait until closer to my lease end and contact BMW FS directly and see if they want to play on the price?

ALSO, has anyone ever let a BMW dealer take back their lease and then bought back the same car at a discount? I've been told the dealer might sometimes do that.

Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks!
You have to go thru the dealer. Can never go thru BMWNA.
      12-11-2009, 04:29 PM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

^ What he said. The dealer buys the car from BMWNA/BMWFS and thus you can only deal with them (unless there's a special program going on in which case BMWNA/BMWFS can deal with you). When I bought my lease, they offered $3k less than the RV right off the bat so you should try and get $3-4k off (maybe more depending on your market).

As for letting the dealer take it back and then you buy it off the lot, it's goig to cost you more IMO. Why? Because they're going to spend money to inspect it, replace tires, dress it up (fix minor scratches or dings, etc.), and even certify the car. That's going to cost more than if you were to just buy the car after lease end. I think you could try to negotiate a buy out now because it's the end of the year and dealers are motivated to sell. ALSO REMEMBER THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO GO TO THE ORIGINAL DEALER WHERE YOU GOT THE CAR FROM!! If they don't budge you should go to 1 or 2 other dealers and see if they can give you a better deal. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
FJc335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: platinum bronze e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemonster View Post
You have to go thru the dealer. Can never go thru BMWNA.
Does that "BMWNA" same as the bmw financial services ? I spoke to BMW Fin yesterday and they said I can purchase the car thru them.

Broken promises don't upset me. I just think, why did they believe me?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivek311 View Post

Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks!
Not an expert on lease buy out but at the end dealer would see what the car worth in the open market(considering the options on this car, overall market condition, color of the car, accident history etc). They have more solid info than us on those things but you need to play it "if it's a good deal to buy I'll do it else I walk"
Appreciate 0