E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Ferrari 458 Spider Runs Over Cop

08-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #45
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
If the car was legally parked as post #39 suggests, all the more reason to not try and squeeze by the officer. The situation could've been rectified by a discussion with the officer involving hotel staff. IMO this option would not have worked but option #2, FIGHTING THE TICKET IN COURT with affidavits from hotel staff would have been much better than what transpired. Even if he lost it's a better option. Instead he chose option #3, BEING A DOUCHE. LEO's are not god and that officer may have been in error but your not gonna win that way.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #46
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoM3 View Post
Google her name and then get back to us. Enjoy your crow burger.
I did. Maybe you guys from Cali like that look, but not me. Shes absolutely nothing special at all. Enjoy the burger, its on me
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #47
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

As a person that is involved with police officers on a regular basis, follow these simple rules.

1. Do NOT EVER, EVER, EVER touch a police officer in any manner, form, on purpose, accidentally, or for any reason EVER. Touching is extended to sticks, cars, or any other inanimate object. Once you touch a police officer, GAME OVER, you will be arrested.

2. Do not SAY, threaten, or begin an act that could be misconstrued as beginning to touch a police officer. See #1.

3. If an officer detains you for any reason, don't move. If it is for a ticket, being arrested or for any other reason UNTIL THE POLICE OFFICER SAYS IT'S OK TO GO. It doesn't matter if the original incident that the police officer uses is legal or not, once an officer detains you, please don't run.*

*Technically you have more rights than you think, but being drunk at 3 am outside of the bar is usually not the best time to discuss Civil Rights and an officers ability to detain someone for questioning without placing them under arrest with the police officer in question.

Now I am the biggest civil rights advocate around. But there is a time and place to fight police abuse and the streets are not the time.

Remember, you do not have to say anything to the police officer. You do not have to consent to a search. You do not have to answer questions. My best advice is to give them your ID, stand there AND NOT SAY ANYTHING.

If you feel that a police officer has violated the law, treated you unfairly or violated your civil rights, take notes of the incident, contact the officers superiors, file a formal complaint with internal affairs, contact your lawyer or the ACLU.

The time and place to prove a police officer wrong is not on the streets.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #48
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
^^^TLDR

Cop is a twat
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #49
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
As a person that is involved with police officers on a regular basis, follow these simple rules.

1. Do NOT EVER, EVER, EVER touch a police officer in any manner, form, on purpose, accidentally, or for any reason EVER. Touching is extended to sticks, cars, or any other inanimate object. Once you touch a police officer, GAME OVER, you will be arrested.

2. Do not SAY, threaten, or begin an act that could be misconstrued as beginning to touch a police officer. See #1.

3. If an officer detains you for any reason, don't move. If it is for a ticket, being arrested or for any other reason UNTIL THE POLICE OFFICER SAYS IT'S OK TO GO. It doesn't matter if the original incident that the police officer uses is legal or not, once an officer detains you, please don't run.*

*Technically you have more rights than you think, but being drunk at 3 am outside of the bar is usually not the best time to discuss Civil Rights and an officers ability to detain someone for questioning without placing them under arrest with the police officer in question.

Now I am the biggest civil rights advocate around. But there is a time and place to fight police abuse and the streets are not the time.

Remember, you do not have to say anything to the police officer. You do not have to consent to a search. You do not have to answer questions. My best advice is to give them your ID, stand there AND NOT SAY ANYTHING.

If you feel that a police officer has violated the law, treated you unfairly or violated your civil rights, take notes of the incident, contact the officers superiors, file a formal complaint with internal affairs, contact your lawyer or the ACLU.

The time and place to prove a police officer wrong is not on the streets.
^This is biblical. Thank you barrister.
)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #50
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

well I think the guy had more tickets then just a simple parking one.
Reading comments from autoblog said that

1)he had no front plate
2)was missing registration sticker

not sure if that made the penalty more severe or not.

Personally, I wouldn't ever think of just ignoring a cop.
      08-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #51
KIS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Jaguar F Type R

What is so complicated? You show a cop respect. If you want to be a dick, or get aggressive you let your attorney do that in court. That's the way it is handled by people that are not complete fools.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #52
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

I also wanted to add something that applies to this post: the appropriate way to act when being stopped by the police or getting a speeding/traffic ticket.

Not only do I work with/know many cops, assistant district attorneys, etc., but this method got me out of many speeding tickets because I didn't act like a jerk and put the officer at ease when I clearly should have been given a ticket. If the officer knows you won't cause trouble, respect them and you put them at ease, then they are more likely not to give you a ticket.

1. Pull over in a safe place as far over as you can. Turn off car and put on hazards.

2. Do not reach for anything in the glove box, under your seat or any compartment before the officer arrives at your window. Just sit there.

3. Simply sit there, put both hands palm up on top of the steering wheel and look straight ahead. Until the officer arrives at your window. Do not get out of the car unless instructed by the officer. This is the most dangerous time for an officer.

4. When the officer arrives at your car, keep the same position as #3. When the officer asks you questions say "no, sir", "yes, sir", "I'm not sure, sir", "I don't know, sir". You don't have to admit to anything. If the officer asks how fast you think you were going, you can just say the speed limit, sir. Look straight ahead. Don't argue, keep your answers short.

5. If the officer asks for your registration or license, tell the officer where they are located, move SLOWLY, and let the officer know what you are reaching for. "My registration is in the glove compartment sir. My license is in my wallet in my left pocket." Tell the officer, "I'm unbuckling my safety belt and will reach for my wallet in my left pocket with my left hand".

6. Keep your hands visible at all times, keep a level attitude, be courteous (even if the officer is not), and NO SUDDEN MOVEMENTS.

Remember, threatening that "you know so and so" and "I'll have your badge" will not result in you getting out of the ticket. Excuses will not work most of the time either. They don't care that you are late to work. They don't care that you are late for class.

Officers have great discretion at a traffic stop. Even if you do know so and so and can get out of it, wouldn't it be better not to have to call in a favor?

Police officers to have a difficult job. Just last month a local police officer was killed in the line of duty when responding to a domestic abuse case. The officer showed up outside of an apartment. The murderer ran into the apartment with his girlfriend and shut/locked the door with the officer outside of it. When the officer was just about to kick in the door the murderer shot the officer through the door, killing him.

Please note that this applies mainly to speeding tickets. If you are ever caught drunk driving, there is a very different response that you should give the officer, but I will not post in this forum what is the appropriate way to limit the evidence collected for a DUI traffic stop before going to court.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #53
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanson View Post
I did. Maybe you guys from Cali like that look, but not me. Shes absolutely nothing special at all. Enjoy the burger, its on me
Shnarrrrf...

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #54
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoM3 View Post
Shnarrrrf...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #55
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

It couldve been much worse,like the cop's foot gettin run over by the nose heavy GT-R.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #56
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
^^^TLDR

Cop is a twat
wow - what an insightful post.
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.

Last edited by MDyDinanM; 08-05-2012 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #57
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIS View Post
What is so complicated? You show a cop respect. If you want to be a dick, or get aggressive you let your attorney do that in court. That's the way it is handled by people that are not complete fools.
Exactly.

Of course, as a society we could consider the alternative. That being, if you personally feel that you've been wrongfully pulled over, or are being cited for an undeserved traffic violation, well then.. just leave the scene. Officer is positioned in front of your vehicle? HIS BAD. Shouldn't have been there when he was writing such a stupid ticket.

And since most people don't disagree with the officer who stops them, this new policy should actually improve road safety.

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #58
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
wow - what an insightful post.
I thought so.

Cops should show more professionalism than this guy did. A public office official acting like a jealous actor and overreacting to an otherwise routine stop? The majority of cops in my area are fully corrupt and constantly under investigation for things that range from corruption and misappropriating funds to gross misconduct causing death (not to mention the 'usual' excessive force etc).

The driver may have been a tool, but the cop should have acted a bit more mature like his badge would suggest.

This poster got it bang on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3rdM3 View Post
The kid was definitely a jerk off for not waiting for the ticket....The cop was a huge asshole also...talk about taking it to level 10, definitely some "who the hell does this kid think he is" envy going on. At the end of the day , I feel sorry for the beautiful 458 convertible
Cop was/is a twat
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #59
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
3. Simply sit there, put both hands palm up on top of the steering wheel and look straight ahead.
Yeah Right,

Do you know how stupid this looks??? You will probably be questioned for insanity or if you had any drugs that night.

... You forgot to mention to turn on the dome light.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #60
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
Yeah Right,

Do you know how stupid this looks??? You will probably be questioned for insanity or if you had any drugs that night.

... You forgot to mention to turn on the dome light.
You want to keep your hands clearly visible at all times and away from your pockets, etc. You don't want to grip the steering wheel since that may imply you are about to drive off.

Dome light may or may not be safer for the police officer. There is a reason they shine the light right into your eyes when they approach. They also don't want the passenger to have as much visibility as they do in case they are either hiding or reaching for something. It can go both ways though.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #61
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
I thought so.

Cops should show more professionalism than this guy did. A public office official acting like a jealous actor and overreacting to an otherwise routine stop? The majority of cops in my area are fully corrupt and constantly under investigation for things that range from corruption and misappropriating funds to gross misconduct causing death (not to mention the 'usual' excessive force etc).

The driver may have been a tool, but the cop should have acted a bit more mature like his badge would suggest.

This poster got it bang on:

Cop was/is a twat
much better and articulate post.

That said, I know there are corrupt cops out there. But what transpires where you're from doesn't necessarily carry over to what is going on in this situation. You implying that the cop is jealous or alluding that he is corrupt is speculation until proven otherwise. All we know right now is that the cop was issuing a citation for an improperly registered vehicle - which he is in his rights to do so. I do agree that this incident could have been handled differently from both sides, and the cop could have been a bit more professional. However, I think the Fcar owner could have obeyed the cops commands and just taken the ticket instead of attempting to drive off. Instead he provoked the cop when he could have just taken the ticket and contested it in court. After all, the cop did warn him a couple of times. Even if the cop did have an attitude or was on a power trip, or jealous, it does not excuse the actions of the Fcar owner.

At the end of the day, this is a snap shot in time. As you can see, there are many interpretations of this incident from a short video clip. Some context is missing, such as what was said initially when the owner approached his car and the cop, but that is lost in the back ground noise.
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.

Last edited by MDyDinanM; 08-05-2012 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #62
keanu1
tiamat
Romania
Rep
Drives: 525 d

i woud have ran over thatcops head! what the hell is that attitude?
his job is to protect the citizens !he said he was asaulted....he put his foot under the wheel! this is not right! he should have send the fine to his adress and that's it
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #63
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The P/O could have taken a different tact but did nothing but his job. To all the young men who think that 458 Italia guy's response was totally appropriate, I wish you the very best of luck in the future.
End thread please.
)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #64
mpower4life
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E36 Avus Blue M3 / E39 M5 / M4

dont know if this was already stated but the cop repositions his foot quickly under the tire as if intentionally trying to get the guy to run it over. had the driver just took off and ran over it violently, one thing, but watch again and what the cop did was intentional. Yes, the driver should have waited and not acted like he was above it but it was taken too far on another level. Not a fan of the "law" when I have seen numerous situations to take advantage of the law.
      08-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #65
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

I wonder how some would have reacted if someone came to their workplace ignored them and then ran over their foot after they were repeatedly told to stop? The kid could ve lost control and really hurt the cop and he was just doin his job.
There a lot of traffic stops that end up in police officer fatalities,i can see why he got so tense.

Last edited by US///M3; 08-05-2012 at 10:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #66
M Pulse
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 F82

I think we can all debate whether or not the driver actually ran over the cops foot or not, but I don't think that's ultimately the real issue here. Yes this will have an impact on the severity of his punishment but the real issue here is that he disobeyed a clear instruction from the officer.

You can clearly see in the video that the cop asked him repeatedly to stop and the driver kept ignoring him. You just simply can't disobey an officer and if you do then the police officer may feel that his safety and others are in jeopardy specially when the other party is behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. It then ultimately gives him the right to use any force necessary to get the situation under control.

Everything else that happened afterwards - punching the window, smashing the door open, forcefully removing the driver & slamming him to the ground - will be seen as justified by the court and the officers supervisors.

No matter how minor or major a situation is you simply have to obey an officer.
Appreciate 0