E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Random radio cut offs?(repost from audio thread.)

12-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Random radio cut offs?(repost from audio thread.)UPDATED please look!

I know no one reads the audio section to help so if you guys can, please help me!
http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

So I checked the battery as many of you guys suggested and it turns out my batter is at almost max charge (12.5v). The radio, however, still shuts off from time to time and today it shut off and stayed off. Even the pinging sound on the beginning of the start didn't go off. I turned the car on and off, I kept pressing the radio button to turn on, I even pressed the audio button and inserted a CD and still nothing. After about 20 mins of freeway driving, I turned my car off to pump gas and then presto, the radio turns back on! Why does this keep happening? I checked the fuses also and checked all the connections to my subs and nothing is touching, pinching, shorting, or anything! I spent 30 minutes with a multimeter touching every connection lol. SOMEONE PLEASE HELLLPPPP! D:
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.

Last edited by kiwi29; 03-16-2013 at 08:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

when it switches in and out of HD mine cuts out. dont know if thats what your talking about or not
      12-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex17 View Post
when it switches in and out of HD mine cuts out. dont know if thats what your talking about or not
Actually it completely turns off. The orange back lighting turns off and the entire screen just shuts off like I unplugged it from the car and it comes back on along with the lights. I'm not just talking about like how it sits in sleep mode when you turn off the radio when you're driving and you get that illuminated background, I mean off off like key out of the ignition and radio cuts off and stays off lol sorry I'm repetitive on it -.- bad habit
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #4
michaelalex17
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Manual Wagon

i have no idea lol sorry.
      12-28-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelalex17 View Post
i have no idea lol sorry.
Its all good, thank you though!
What'd you mean by HD? I never noticed anything different with the sound quality?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 01:28 AM   #6
VincentCloudX07
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006-325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
What'd you mean by HD? I never noticed anything different with the sound quality?
Does this happen when the car is on, or just when the car is off and you leave the radio on?
      12-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #7
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentCloudX07 View Post
Does this happen when the car is on, or just when the car is off and you leave the radio on?
Only when I'm driving around, it never seems to happen when the car is off and its running off of the capacitor battery. It randomly cuts off and literally 1 second later, it comes back on
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #8
VincentCloudX07
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Only when I'm driving around, it never seems to happen when the car is off and its running off of the capacitor battery. It randomly cuts off and literally 1 second later, it comes back on
sounds to me like you have a loose connection and its being agitated when your driving around. That's why it only cuts out when your driving. Have you tried taking the face plate off and looking around? It may be as simple as a loose wire, or as bad as a split one, either way it should be to much to fix.
      12-28-2012, 01:56 AM   #9
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
sounds to me like you have a loose connection and its being agitated when your driving around. That's why it only cuts out when your driving. Have you tried taking the face plate off and looking around? It may be as simple as a loose wire, or as bad as a split one, either way it should be to much to fix.
The face plate can be removed on a stock head unit?? O.o I've never thought of that. I've never touched the head unit or moved any wires from there. The closest thing to the front I've touched was the fuse box area. Could that cause a short to the radio though?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 02:15 AM   #10
VincentCloudX07
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The face plate can be removed on a stock head unit?? O.o I've never thought of that. I've never touched the head unit or moved any wires from there. The closest thing to the front I've touched was the fuse box area. Could that cause a short to the radio though?
Yeh def., its just takes awhile, and some patience to get it off correctly. Technically you remove the AC control unit, and then you can then get to the radio and be able to check the wires and so on.
hmm, depends on what you did. If you jingled any of the fuse connections, that could be your problem right there, but usually there in there tight. If so though, That would be as simple as giving them a good push in. It would be worth a try to open that up and check everything before opening up the radio though.
      12-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #11
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeh def., its just takes awhile, and some patience to get it off correctly. Technically you remove the AC control unit, and then you can then get to the radio and be able to check the wires and so on.
hmm, depends on what you did. If you jingled any of the fuse connections, that could be your problem right there, but usually there in there tight. If so though, That would be as simple as giving them a good push in. It would be worth a try to open that up and check everything before opening up the radio though.
Ill definitely take a look thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #12
pzkpfwIV
US Infantry
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328Xi

My radio totally cuts out on me too. The speakers are on for sure ( when it is set to radio you can hear the background static when turned up) but it will not play radio, my ipod, cd, or my phone. I turn the car off, wait a sec and back on, and boom it works again. Wtf.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #13
snowman81
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I have a similar issue. My car is completely stock though. My radio shuts off and the light on the SOS button comes on then goes off and the radio comes back on. I think it may be a battery issue. I've gotten my battery tested and was told it was fine, but was only at 60% charge. They said don't let it sit...only problem is I don't. It's my daily driver. Now the radio issue seems to go away after I've driven for a little bit, so I had the battery tested when it didn't seem to be shutting off and I was told there were no issues with the battery at all. My next course of action is testing for a parasitic draw. I checked it quick one day and I'm getting 0.49 amps when the car is off. The only problem is that the trunk obviously has to be open so the light on. I pulled the bulb out but there still could be some relays or solenoids that are powered I think. I'm no electrical expert, so if anyone else has any input that'd be great. Maybe you should get your battery checked when you're having the issue. Sorry for the long post!
      12-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #14
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
You have to upgrade your ears in order to hear it. Our ears are analog, as long as you were born before 2008. I know one guy at work upgraded his ears, and now he has to go back every 6 mos. to get a new battery installed. Last time he did it he found out the new devices have an A6X chip, and he got his A5X in march, so he was pissed. Plus he told the doctor he's hearing voices at night, and they can't find the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman81 View Post
I have a similar issue. My car is completely stock though. My radio shuts off and the light on the SOS button comes on then goes off and the radio comes back on. I think it may be a battery issue. I've gotten my battery tested and was told it was fine, but was only at 60% charge. They said don't let it sit...only problem is I don't. It's my daily driver. Now the radio issue seems to go away after I've driven for a little bit, so I had the battery tested when it didn't seem to be shutting off and I was told there were no issues with the battery at all. My next course of action is testing for a parasitic draw. I checked it quick one day and I'm getting 0.49 amps when the car is off. The only problem is that the trunk obviously has to be open so the light on. I pulled the bulb out but there still could be some relays or solenoids that are powered I think. I'm no electrical expert, so if anyone else has any input that'd be great. Maybe you should get your battery checked when you're having the issue. Sorry for the long post!
If you mean that the radio cuts out, when the motor is not running, I can tell you with 100% certainty that it happened to me about 2 yrs. ago, and it was because I didn't drive the car enough and the battery was not fully charged. What would happen is I was sitting in my car, using the phone on bluetooth, and listening to the iPod. Sometimes, while on a call, the bluetooth would drop, the music would come on, and my phone call was on my handset. At first I didn't get it. Eventually, after putting up with it for a while, the entire ignition shut off, and the battery light turned on.

What I can also say is there's truth to the battery not being fully charged when you don't drive it enough. I replaced the battery a year later, but kept the original. That original is still good--I charged it and load tested it. I've actually been maintaining it weekly with a battery tender, and the eye is solid green.

A battery tender is a good investment on our cars imho....
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #16
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman81 View Post
The long post is fine if it has all the details needed! I can't believe our cars have major battery problems even with the giant battery we already have. Its weird though, I never thought it would be the battery that cuts the radio off... could it be the subs that drain it out so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
You have to upgrade your ears in order to hear it. Our ears are analog, as long as you were born before 2008. I know one guy at work upgraded his ears, and now he has to go back every 6 mos. to get a new battery installed. Last time he did it he found out the new devices have an A6X chip, and he got his A5X in march, so he was pissed. Plus he told the doctor he's hearing voices at night, and they can't find the problem.
Are you serious about ear upgrades O.O my hearing is perfectly fine lol I'm pretty sure I don't need super human ears!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #17
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Bump for info update
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #18
hugus311
Titanium silver + Sport + Premium
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i (E90)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29
Bump for info update
Do a load test. The voltage tells you very little. My car was doing the same until the battery symbol came up and I got a new battery. All is good now.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 01:19 AM   #19
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugus311 View Post
Do a load test. The voltage tells you very little. My car was doing the same until the battery symbol came up and I got a new battery. All is good now.
How do I do a load test? Is this a common problem amongst e90s? O.o
Appreciate 0