E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Low and High Beams Flicker on Bumps and Turns

03-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #1
MCOChuck
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
Low and High Beams Flicker on Bumps and Turns

Really appreciate any help with this!

Once they start flickering it can either be random or rhythmic (like it’s doing a bulb check). After a few seconds of flickering often the passenger side headlight will shutoff, more infrequently both headlights, then come back on after about 5 seconds. If they keep freaking out, switching the headlights Off and On almost always makes it stop. The ring bulbs are working fine.

I know very little about HID’s so apologies ahead of time. What are all the parts in the system? There’s a bulb and a ballast, but is there some kind of controller for the ballasts that could be the cause of the issue because sometimes both sides shut off when they start flickering? One of the previous owners added blacklines, interior LED kit etc, so I wouldn't be surprised if he went aftermarket with the headlights as well...

Assuming we isolate the source of the issue. Do you recommend replacing with OEM parts or going with one of the aftermarket solutions?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
shata
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

I had this happen the other day under hard acceleration in turn for first time, Were talking about 30-60mph on freeway on ramp. During turn HID lights just freaked out...looked like they were turning on and off very fast, Not really sure what heck was going on. Im going to blame more vibration then normal and bulbs couldnt handle it unless someone else has any idea.
      03-31-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
Down_Shift
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slay

Have you guys checked this?

battery cable RECALL

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...er/recall.aspx
Appreciate 0