E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > ALMOST OSS + Full Blackout

05-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #45
1sh@Crystalwhite
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey

Amazing work! Looks excellent! I wish you could do mine!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #46
N0OS3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

it looks like u were able to bake them open... what temperature vs time did u utilize to remove the lens?

im having to cut my LCI halogens open with a dremmel...
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #47
amill411
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0OS3 View Post
it looks like u were able to bake them open... what temperature vs time did u utilize to remove the lens?

im having to cut my LCI halogens open with a dremmel...
He said he used a heat gun. And OUCH, cutting them open??

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #48
crazytaiwanese
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

looks great
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #49
T!m3
BMW maniac!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ///M3 e92

Nice!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 01:40 AM   #50
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

looks raw as fuck!! great job, diy ftw!

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #51
Arwidrh
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi E92

Garage List
2009 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfoo View Post
did you use this DIY to help get you through it?

http://www.umnitza.com/install/E60InstallationGuide.pdf
No, I read it once but e60 headlights are different than e92 so installation process is different too. The installation of the rings itself isn't very difficult. The only thing u have to do is to mount them in place of oem rings. The outer rings (smaller)I just glued on top of the old rings.
I did cut plastic clips of the inner rings(bigger ones) so they could fit properly on the shrouds of low/hi beems then just glued bottom and what left from clips on the top of rings. U have to be very carefull when reinstalling the housing of the headlights. Umitza ae are bigger than oem rings and they can very easly move while closing headlights. U have to also remember to seal them as best as u can because if u won't the condensation inside can occur.

JB4 | aFe DCI | AR Catless DP| Helix FMIC | ER CP | Forge DVs | BMS OCC | 19" Forgestar F14 | H&R | Matte White Vinyl Wrap | ORION V2 + Blackout | M3 Front Bumper | CF CSL Trunk | M3 Side skirts | M-tech Rear + DD Quad diffuser + REMUS RACE QUAD |... |
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #52
crazyfoo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Montego Blue 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwidrh View Post
No, I read it once but e60 headlights are different than e92 so installation process is different too. The installation of the rings itself isn't very difficult. The only thing u have to do is to mount them in place of oem rings. The outer rings (smaller)I just glued on top of the old rings.
I did cut plastic clips of the inner rings(bigger ones) so they could fit properly on the shrouds of low/hi beems then just glued bottom and what left from clips on the top of rings. U have to be very carefull when reinstalling the housing of the headlights. Umitza ae are bigger than oem rings and they can very easly move while closing headlights. U have to also remember to seal them as best as u can because if u won't the condensation inside can occur.
thanks for the reply, I can't wait for your DIY if you get to it! :-)
      05-19-2012, 03:28 AM   #53
TrixR4kidz
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

looks killer
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 03:59 AM   #54
CRT3
i eat disco for breakfast
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

v-nice!

SAPHIRE BLACK 07 E92 335I /// M-SPORT
// H&R SPRINGS // CF SPLITTERS // MATTE BLK GRILL // 19" // SUNROOF // GP THURDERS // JB+// BLACKOUT ROUNDELS
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #55
porkchops!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi

Looks great! I'm in the process of doing the same thing, but with my LCI e90 xenons. The e92s must not use the same glue around the lenses as the e90s do... because this stuff is heat resistant. I can't even begin to tell you everything I've had to do in order to get the lenses off.

I'll have a DIY up as soon as I'm finished... us e90 guys desperately need an updated and more in-depth one. Seems like a lotta people would benefit from a good DIY!

Also, I've been really on the fence about what i wanna do with my AEs. I'm really really interested in using the Orion V2s... but my biggest worry is making sure that they are extremely secure. It seems like you had a little but of an issue with that as well... is there anything you would have done different to make sure they were more secure in there? Do you recommend them? They look great, I just really want them to be as secure as OEM.

Anyways, either way they look great. Keep on keepin' on.
      05-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #56
Arwidrh
Private First Class
Poland
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi E92

Garage List
2009 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchops! View Post
Looks great! I'm in the process of doing the same thing, but with my LCI e90 xenons. The e92s must not use the same glue around the lenses as the e90s do... because this stuff is heat resistant. I can't even begin to tell you everything I've had to do in order to get the lenses off.

I'll have a DIY up as soon as I'm finished... us e90 guys desperately need an updated and more in-depth one. Seems like a lotta people would benefit from a good DIY!

Also, I've been really on the fence about what i wanna do with my AEs. I'm really really interested in using the Orion V2s... but my biggest worry is making sure that they are extremely secure. It seems like you had a little but of an issue with that as well... is there anything you would have done different to make sure they were more secure in there? Do you recommend them? They look great, I just really want them to be as secure as OEM.

As I'm thinking about this more and more maybe I did mistake cutting the outer ring clips, maybe would be better to cut small holes in the low beem shroud and slide clips inside the shroud and then glued everything. who knows. But I'm sure u won't be able to secure them as oem are
I highly recommend orion rings I think they're awesome.

JB4 | aFe DCI | AR Catless DP| Helix FMIC | ER CP | Forge DVs | BMS OCC | 19" Forgestar F14 | H&R | Matte White Vinyl Wrap | ORION V2 + Blackout | M3 Front Bumper | CF CSL Trunk | M3 Side skirts | M-tech Rear + DD Quad diffuser + REMUS RACE QUAD |... |
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #57
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

why wouldn't it be perfect?
of course it looks good !

i did the install my self as well except i used oneighty customs led rings & did not black them out. but I'm thinking about it now and might reopen them and paint everything inside
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #58
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchops! View Post

I'm in the same exact situation. Got an extra housing ready to go under the heat gun so I can run my stocks while I work on the new lights.

I'm probably sticking with the stock rings and soldering LEDs. Going to order a bunch of different LEDs next week and test them all out, pick a color temp. I like the most, then order a bunch of those. PM me if you go the same soldering-LED route, might save us some hassle/cash by pooling an order as these typically get cheaper the more you order.

I might make a chart of the different LEDs lit up to help anyone who wants to do the same in the future. Probably sticking to Cree XLamp ML-B/C/E.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #59
griffjo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

DIY!!!
Appreciate 0