E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > OK general advice required

04-04-2008, 07:41 AM   #1
bablo
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 320SE

OK general advice required

Its been a month and three days since i started my ignition for the first time and i have loved the car ever since so far its got 1,100 miles on the clock

I haven't opened to bonnet once since i picked up the car at the dealership, is this a bad thing?

Can i simply rely on idrive to tell me everything like oil levels, tyre pressure, etc?

How often do i require to top up the water in the radiator? I haven't since i bought the car!

I'm going on a 300 mile round trip this weekend, anything in particular i should check for?

Your input will be greatly appreciated!
      04-04-2008, 07:52 AM   #2
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
I'd ask myself how long does it take to do these checks, as for tyre pressures, I think I'm right in saying the system compairs them against each other and if ones down and the rolling radius is altered, then it flags a warning, if they all loose a bit of pressure it my take a while longer to show up.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 07:59 AM   #3
Rosco
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 (07) 318d

lol i think its handy to look in the engine to see whats what

When i got my car, it felt like an age before i topped up the windscreen wash..... i eventually totalled it up that it was pushing onto about 3 Months... I do alot of motorway driving and that uses alot, but i got mine in the summer and for about 3 months it lasted... it averaged 2 months trough the winter!!

I cant say i have ever topped radiator water up.... i check the levels of all the fluids including the oil everytime i wash the car, something i love about the beemer is that its not using any! and its a diesel! My last new car ate oil....

Make sure you have warm clothing and some snaks the weather is predicting snow this weekend..... have a full tank of fuel and maybe fill your washer up with a concentrated fluid... Make sure your tyre pressures are as they should be, the levels are on the inside of the drivers door next to your seat..

Apart from that have a good trip

Rosco
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

I check my tyre pressures each time I wash the car, so usually each weekend. My mate NEVER checks his and is happy to ferry his kids around in the car....................!!

Also check the oil every other weekend or so - mine is now just on the lower limit of the dipstick so it is worth checking, I-drive wont tell you that.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
1100 miles there should be no problem with it i would check after 5k i normally just kick the tyres, if there up there up lol
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 04:18 PM   #6
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bablo View Post
Its been a month and three days since i started my ignition for the first time and i have loved the car ever since so far its got 1,100 miles on the clock

I haven't opened to bonnet once since i picked up the car at the dealership, is this a bad thing?

Can i simply rely on idrive to tell me everything like oil levels, tyre pressure, etc?

How often do i require to top up the water in the radiator? I haven't since i bought the car!

I'm going on a 300 mile round trip this weekend, anything in particular i should check for?

You really need to open the bonnet if for no other reason than to marvel at that powerplant. You should be ashamed of yourself for not doing so yet.

Since there isn't a physical dipstick you do have to rely on the computer (not necessarily iDrive) to tell you when you need oil. A good quality tyre pressure gauge is indispensible for any car owner; get one soonest and check the pressures often and don't rely on the local petrol station's air gauge. You will need to know where to add washer fluid. On a new car you should not have to top up the coolant in the radiator and if you do so this soon you have a problem that needs to be sorted quickly. I check mine every year when winterizing, though, and it's not needed any. My truck on the other hand drinks like a fish: petrol with an anti-freeze chaser.

Before you go on your trip you should (to give you piece of mind) check the coolant level when the engine is cold. Then warm up the engine per the manual (you have read the manual, haven't you?) and check the oil level. Check the tyre pressures cold and adjust as needed. Reset the FTM or TMPS once the tyres are properly inflated. Top up the washer fluid. Take a look at the clutch and brake reservoirs to ensure they've not dropped below minimum and take it to the dealership if it has. Get a good night's sleep. Enjoy the trip.

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention. Fill the fuel tank.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269

Last edited by SoYank; 04-04-2008 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: Addendum
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Sensible and sound advice SoYank

Don't think many people realise that if you are involved in a road traffic accident and the vehicle is scrutinised which includes checking tyre pressures, an insurance company will try and wrangle out of paying up either as much or at all based on the vehicle being 'in an unroadworthy condition' due to incorrectly inflated tyres. Happened to someone I know when the accident was knock for knock. Remember the law is an ass and operates based on 'technicalities'.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 03:00 AM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Check the Oil weekly if you do high ish mileages during the running in. break in period as they may consume oil.
      04-05-2008, 04:54 AM   #9
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bablo View Post

No point in opening the bonnet to check the oil .. since the petrol cars have no physical dipstick,

I haven't checked coolant levels in any car for at least 5 years and 150,000 miles My experience is that modern cars don't loose coolant unless there is a problem. Years ago a stone chip in the radiator was relatively common. Doesn't seem to be such a risk these days.

I would closely watch tyre pressures though. The low profile tyres on these cars are at relatively high pressures and they do drop over time. Running RFT's at lower pressures will cause seriously premature wear. Because of the reinforced sidewall they don't look low, so it would be a good habit to check every couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0