E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Menzerna question

09-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #23
jermc68
Trogdor strikes again!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Arctic Metallic 330i

I was looking around on the DI site and saw that Poorboys has some SSR. How do they compare to the PO106ff, SIP, or FPII? I know the price difference pretty much implies the Menzerna line is better but if I don't want to shell out that much for them, what would be the equivalent, if any? I have the PC so I expect to spend a little more time with the process but I am getting the evil eye for spending all the $$ on everything and am trying to appease the gods.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 07:51 PM   #24
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

I dont know for sure if i break it down properly, i just thought that clear = broken down.

I do the standard orange/SIP followed with white/106ff with a PC.

I just feel like Im wasting my time with the 106ff, but everyone uses it, so I figure I might as well too.

This is basically my technique:

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 07:55 PM   #25
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

i apologize but i can't help you with any DA technique because i have no knowledge of it
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #26
oldaccount
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermc68 View Post
I was looking around on the DI site and saw that Poorboys has some SSR. How do they compare to the PO106ff, SIP, or FPII? I know the price difference pretty much implies the Menzerna line is better but if I don't want to shell out that much for them, what would be the equivalent, if any? I have the PC so I expect to spend a little more time with the process but I am getting the evil eye for spending all the $$ on everything and am trying to appease the gods.
I used to use PB products pretty much exclusively, but I have found that comparable CG products work as well if not better, and you get more product for less money. This is wrt to everything BUT polishes, as ive never used CG polishes (but supposedly they make PB polishes anyway.)

Basically Menzerna polishes > all. But I do still like PB polishes - They are cheaper, and less finicky, and they are great for noobs and any weather condition. Their PwS is amazing - it removes wash induced marring, oxidation, bird shit etching, minor watermarks, etc, and doesnt require a followup polish, and leaves behind some amount of sealant protection that you can top with a pure sealant like EX-P, or a wax. Their SSR polishes are decent, but nowhere near Menzerna level.

I would just buy Menzerna stuff, fill up some empty ketchup type bottles with a product and sell whatever is left over that you wont use.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 09:38 AM   #27
WCM3
Î canŧ főcus mŷ attėntĭon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Rubicon

So guys, I didn't want to start a new thread but I wanted to make sure I ordered the right stuff. I'm starting to detail my Jet Black 335i and I'm planning to go with Menzerna products. I have a UDM, and was looking into buying the SIP and 106FF. Those both should work well with the UDM, right? What's a good sealant/glaze to finish that combo off with?

Thanks,
Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #28
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCM3 View Post
So guys, I didn't want to start a new thread but I wanted to make sure I ordered the right stuff. I'm starting to detail my Jet Black 335i and I'm planning to go with Menzerna products. I have a UDM, and was looking into buying the SIP and 106FF. Those both should work well with the UDM, right? What's a good sealant/glaze to finish that combo off with?

Thanks,
Mike
Yes, they should work great with the UDM. Use an orange pad with the SIP and a white with the 106FF. As for topping after you've polished, there's a variety of opinions. I'm a fan of Zaino Z2 and Z5, but YMMV.
      10-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #29
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

The reason 8RD exists is twofold - first, on soft clear 106ff can and will leave halograms. Despite the fact that they finish with the same "gloss", 106ff has cut, and 8rd basically doesn't. On really soft cars 8rd is needed after 106ff. More importantly, 106ff can fill; actually it can fill quite a bit 8rd generally won't, not because it can't but because people tend to use it with a pad that has no mechanical abrasion. On soft-> average hard cars I still follow 106 with 8rd, even if I don't see holograms. Why? I know that when the carrier oils from 106 evaporate homograms can re-appear.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2008, 04:20 PM   #30
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCM3 View Post
... I'm planning to go with Menzerna products. I have a UDM, and was looking into buying the SIP and 106FF. Those both should work well with the UDM, right? What's a good sealant/glaze to finish that combo off with?
You have options there. Menzerna has a sealant product (FMJ, I think). That would probably work. I used SIP and 106FF and followed them up with CG products: Creme Glaze and JetSeal. I like the results of the combo of those CG products, but I'm sure Menzerna, Zaino, or other products would work as well.

I put a little Dodo Juice wax on top of the JetSeal even to add even more shine! There's a little clouding on my hood with the Dodo Juice wax, but it comes off easily with a little cold QD spray. The clouding isn't bad, but it's there if you look at the right angle. It only happens on my hood so I wonder if it's heat-related since the hood on the 335 gets so hot.

The combo of JS + Wax makes it easy to keep dust off my car with a light duster or use of QD spray.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 11:01 PM   #31
Chris J
Learning "The Art"
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScheerSpeed View Post
if you really want some gloss go with 85RD after 106ff
you love 85rd! I do too. It really just makes it pop!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2008, 11:04 PM   #32
Chris J
Learning "The Art"
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by picus View Post
The reason 8RD exists is twofold - first, on soft clear 106ff can and will leave halograms. Despite the fact that they finish with the same "gloss", 106ff has cut, and 8rd basically doesn't. On really soft cars 8rd is needed after 106ff. More importantly, 106ff can fill; actually it can fill quite a bit 8rd generally won't, not because it can't but because people tend to use it with a pad that has no mechanical abrasion. On soft-> average hard cars I still follow 106 with 8rd, even if I don't see holograms. Why? I know that when the carrier oils from 106 evaporate homograms can re-appear.
You are so right about this! I still used what we talked about on the phone every day! Your the man!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2008, 04:05 AM   #33
nardoM4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Nardo M4 ZCP

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
subscribed

IG: nardo.f82