E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Trade my e46 m3 for 335i coupe? Need Opinions::THIS IS NOT A M3 VS 335i WAR::

01-21-2010, 12:09 AM   #45
Noc57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335

I'd probably go for the e46 M. But your case the 335.

e46 M3's have to be one of the most desirable cars, at least for BMW enthusiasts. Such a classic design, everything just works for that car. JB3 is great and all, but to really get on the same level as any //M there's a lot more that goes into it than power figures.

However, if you don't plan on tuning your car or doing much on the performance end the 335 is still a great car. As you said you don't really track your car and you just would like a fun/something new/DD. Test drive the 335, you won't be disappointed.
      01-21-2010, 01:48 AM   #46
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Do you own the M3 E46 from new?

If yes, then you know how the car was maintained and in my books would be a keeper. People still give the thumbsup when they see those Ms.

The 335i is a nice car, newer design and all, but if you care about that and put driving pleasure a little lower on your priority list I say go for it.

IMO, the best case scenario, keep the M3, save the cash (invest) and get the F30 M3

Best of both worlds
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 02:22 AM   #47
mshahidz
Major
Rep
Drives: M4, 991 GT3

honestly i dont give a rats ass about the HPFP...if its been replaced your fine, and if it fails again you have your warranty. Anyways, if you are out of warranty you can get the aftermarket HPFP's that are coming out slowly for this car...
dont worry about the HPFP imo, just worry about the car itself.
      01-21-2010, 02:37 AM   #48
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

you will love the 335, go for it! E46 M's are sick though..

2008 E90 335
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 03:14 AM   #49
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

I got rid of my e46 M3 for the 335i. Sometimes I miss it mostly because of the rawness of the M, but the 335i does have alot of pros and don't regret doing it at all. I will be picking up another e46M someday though.
      01-21-2010, 03:32 AM   #50
vdude
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E90 M3, E46 M3, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDiCandido View Post
I drive an 04 M3 Coupe with 6MT (and 24,000 miles) and a CPO’d 07 335i ZSP Sedan with 6MT. I’ve only had the 335i for three weeks, but I appreciate the differences pretty well.

The 335i is a very nice car for a daily driver and it’s a lot of fun to drive with the 6MT and ZSP, but it’s not an M car. The turbocharged E90 335i isn’t anywhere near the same league as the E46 M3.

The naturally aspirated S54B32 (333hp) 3.2 liter, I-6 engine in the E46 M3 is a masterpieces of German engineering. The 335i has a turbocharged 300hp 3.0 liter I-6 engine (N54B30). The 335i engine is powerful and "torquey" with barely discernable turbo lag. However, (in my humble opinion) it’s simply no great engineering feat to output 100hp/liter from a turbocharged engine, just about every other car company on the planet can do that (the stock 4G63T 2.0 L turbocharged I-4 engine in my 1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX output 98hp/liter, and that was 20 years ago).

The M3 performs phenomenally and does almost anything a driver demands of it: smooth and responsive power delivery, snap-oversteer, power on oversteer, trail braking… The car does it all well and seats 5 in a pinch too! It’s predictable, forgiving, and a real joy to drive, even more so at triple-digit speeds. The M3 wants to run fast and it feels safe and stable at all speeds.

The 335i is inferior to the E46 M3 in almost every aspect; power delivery, chassis dynamics, handling (probably due to the run-flat tires), braking, etc. It’s very close in some respects, but anyone who claims that the E9x 335i is as good as the E46 M3 has probably never driven an E46 M3. The E90 335i does have a better ride quality than my M3, especially as a daily driver. That said, I really like my 335i, but it's a completely different car than the E46 M3.

Your 01 M3 is getting older now and you should expect some pretty big repair bills in your near future. It's definitely not an inexpensive car to maintain.

Is it an option for you to keep both cars? If so, then I’d recommend buying the 335i as your new daily driver, and keeping the M3 as your fun weekend car.
What he said! I currently have an E46 M3, E90 335i and love both (also have an E36 M). While the 335 is a great sports sedan and has more torque, it doesn't have the soul of an M car. I personally think that the whole discussion on the M3's lack of torque is over-rated (especially in sport mode which sharpens throttle response to give the perception of more power). You might have to give it more rpm's but some posters imply that the S54 is like a Honda VTEC motor which is absolutely gutless at low RPMs. This is simply not the case - the S54 has a broad usable power band that's great for normal everyday use (and can break my BFG 275s loose pretty easily with TC turned off). In most published tests it out-performs the 335 through standard accelleration benchmarks.

I divide DD duties between my E90 and E46/E36 Ms and all work great. Recently took the 335 on a canyon run - when it comes to the fun stuff, my recent run reminded me that the 335 was no comparison to the E46.

The e46M is one of the most globally acclaimed cars of its class/generation, I think that this combined with the timeless design will someday earn it modern day classic status. I'll most likely get rid of the 335 in the next year or so but the M is here to stay.

Here's my $.02 on your situation:
* Keep your M
* Roll the dice and save the $200/month as a repair slush fund (chances are you won't need it as long as you regularly maintain your car but its good to have J-I-C)
* Check the forums for DIY's on the stuff the $tealer tries to rips us all off for (there's a lot of great resources on M3 forum, E46 fanatics etc)
* Find a good indy shop to cover maintenance you can't handle (or become friends with a BMW SA for hookup pricing)
* Learn where to get the best deals on parts (eg Tischer, TMS etc)

Retail labor and parts rates are where the M becomes an expensive proposition however, if you DIY and have the right hookups (and barring any catastrophic failures) its not as expensive or complicated to own as you'd think. While oils expensive, official intervals are twice as long as most cars, brakes, plugs, belts etc super-easy to do (easier than some of the JDM/Domestic cars I've owned) - most expensive maintenance item is the valve adjustment that is thankfully only required for major service.

GL - keep us posted on what you end up doing.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 06:20 AM   #51
jocamryn
Major
Rep
Drives: '23X4 M40i/'24 X2(In Transit)

Quote:
Trade my e46 m3 for 335i coupe? Need Opinions::THIS IS NOT A M3 VS 335i WAR::
By acknowledging that you made it so.....
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 09:34 AM   #52
RX7guy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i, 93 rx7

$15k for the M3? If you're serious about selling, I would think you could do much better privately
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 09:54 AM   #53
itsjappo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

its not meant to be comparison war between them but i just wanted people's input on what they would do in my situation and their reasonings why. I do all my work on my cars but since starting a new job, I don't want to take the risk of the car breaking down on me (which can happen on either car's) but when it does happen, will it be cover under warranty or not? that's my main concern. i don't know. im still stuck between the two. someone has to contribute on here and help me go what way to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #54
Bulldog 6
The Logistician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 230i M-Sport

Garage List
2007 328i E90  [0.00]
You didn't mention if your M3 is having problems which would be the only reason I would trade it in. I recommend that you keep the M3 and pay it off. Having no car payment really is freedom. If you have the wiggle room to save the $200 per month then do it so you have a good pot for repairs. Buying used cars makes a lot of sense, but in the case of certain brand cars I do not think so. I say this becasue of the number of people who mod their cars and hide it so you may not get a true assessment of how it was used. Also, people run loaners hard too. For those reasons I would not buy a used BMW, at least not a 3-Series since they seem to be the model preference for modders and trackies.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #55
grieverr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32

I forget who it was that said it but I do agree that at this point, you may want to wait another year and see what the F30 will look like. If you like it, you can start saving/investing/whatever for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #56
Solonng
Captain
Rep
Drives: Monacco Blue 335i coupe

This thread is very interesting as I just recently bought an e46 M3 despite having a 335i. Here are my thoughts:

335i:
Extremely amazing vehicle..Fast and gorgeous..It is extremely smooth and fun to drive but its not an M. However, I don't like the turning radius on the car..it sucks!!

M3:

OMFG, this is a raw machine..I actually like it better than the new M3 because of its rawness. (no pun intended but the new M is more luxurious relative to the older one). The inline V6 is amazing to drive and the exhaust tone inside the car is absolutely amazing. It gets to be so much fun when you go above 3k rpm..One draw back is that this is my first manual and I'm not as proficient. Surely that it is expensive to maintain, but look at how many M3 are on the roads today vs a 335i. In S FL, the 335i is becoming more of a commodity as most people buy them as status symbols..

So, i would save money and have both...lol
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #57
itsjappo
Lieutenant
Rep

ok guys. just got home from a test drive of a 335i that's pretty much the same as I'm looking to pick up. Here are my impressions:

Car is quiet (not "quite" but actually "quiet") fast.

-There's a very small hint of lag and next thing you know that your past 60.

-Sport package is nice. Car felt solid and crisp as far as suspension response. It felt stiff but not harsh or too mushy. It did feel bigger but not so bad.

Now here are my impressions when I got back in my car:

-My car steering actually felt less responsive than the 335i. I was shocked. It felt like theres a slight more lag before it would do what I wanted with the steering.

-This thing really should've had more low end torque because its screaming so loud just to get it going.

-Very harsh even the slightest flaws on the road

At this point, I am falling in love with the 335i and I will be picking it up this weekend =) It does everything I want it to do but doing it quietly and subtle. Just hope it treats me good and not have so much problems. Either way, its CPO and will have warranty. I'm super excited now.

Thanks for all your help guys. All inputs were helpful and did point out the differences between the two. As with all things, everyone has their own preferences and needs and in this case, the 335i met mine. Overall, LOVE BOTH CARS! I'll miss my M3 and thats for sure, but the new 335i will do just fine=)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 10:57 PM   #58
rolling18
I AM the 12th. Emom
Rep
Drives: 07 335i SG

congratulations on your decision im SURE you will be happy!!
as far at the steering you may want to check if it has the "active steering" option as that has a variable ratio steering box so it will take less full rotations of the wheel depending on your speed.. ( I read on here its a very good option) and about a $2200 +- one at that!!

now.. just get your tune, and an LSD !! hehe
      01-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #59
itsjappo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling18 View Post
congratulations on your decision im SURE you will be happy!!
as far at the steering you may want to check if it has the "active steering" option as that has a variable ratio steering box so it will take less full rotations of the wheel depending on your speed.. ( I read on here its a very good option) and about a $2200 +- one at that!!

now.. just get your tune, and an LSD !! hehe
thanks. actually the car i test drove did have it and the one im getting dont. it still has sports and premium package tho. would the active steering change the feel of the car's handling and steering response? I ask because I really liked how the car I test drove felt on the steering wheel. It was stiff and very responsive. Was that due to the active steering option or not? Please advise because I'm really excited about getting my car this weekend and hoping its exactly like the car I just test drove.

I'm already looking for good deals on JB3, DCI, and BT tool. After that, just subtle aero add ons and new wheels and then I'll be fully done. That's all I really wanna do with the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 11:50 PM   #60
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

I don't have active steering on mine, and the steering is still nice and tight and responsive. I don't think you'll miss it.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 12:25 AM   #61
rolling18
I AM the 12th. Emom
Rep
Drives: 07 335i SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjappo View Post
thanks. actually the car i test drove did have it and the one im getting dont. it still has sports and premium package tho. would the active steering change the feel of the car's handling and steering response? I ask because I really liked how the car I test drove felt on the steering wheel. It was stiff and very responsive. Was that due to the active steering option or not? Please advise because I'm really excited about getting my car this weekend and hoping its exactly like the car I just test drove.

I'm already looking for good deals on JB3, DCI, and BT tool. After that, just subtle aero add ons and new wheels and then I'll be fully done. That's all I really wanna do with the car.
yes you WOULD notice a difference but mainly at lower parking lot speeds..
the "feel" should be the same its just the number of rotation lock -to -lock that changes at speed... try doing a search of active steering .. but you would still like the standard steering.. the active steering may be the reason you noticed it so well
      01-22-2010, 04:52 AM   #62
slowSwede
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Slow or fast?

I'd say your driving style would be an important factor.
All M:s beg you to drive them a lot faster than those silly signs about spead tell you to.
The 335 on the other hand is more of a cruiser, in comparison.
I was choosing between an M5 E60 and the 335 and I went with the 335.
Of course I still feel I'd be happier with the M5, but I probably wouldn't have a license...I find it difficult to go slow in M:s.

So for me the 335 is preferable...but hey I'm a 35 year old who choose a 335 over the M5 so maybe you shouldn't listen to me...

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #63
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Since you already made up your mind to get a 335, my advice would be to step back and take a deep breath for a minute to make sure you're doing this right. I think you made the right choice - but...

1. Don't trade in your M3 - sell it yourself. You'll likely get at least $3000 more for it than the dealer would give you. And don't be so lazy about this part - trading it in is just plain stupid! If you had $3000 in your hand, would you just give it to someone you don't know because you're too lazy to put it in your bank account? It's really not hard to sell a car yourself. I sold my '04 X5 for $5500 more than the dealer was going to give me on a trade - and the sales guy is a friend I've known all my life!

2. Do a bit more research on the 335 and make sure you get the options you want. I.e. don't brush off that Active Steering for example. It's an incredibly awesome feature. The power rear sunshade is also a very handy option - but most people don't even consider it. Etc., etc...

Good luck - I don't think you'll be dissapointed in your decision but really, don't rush through it because you're anxious, impatient, and excited to get a new car. Take your time and do it right and you'll be much happier in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #64
wsybert
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Vert

I test drove several E46 M3's and was dead set on buying one. Great car, as you already know.
I ended up with an E90 335i and love it. Mine is not a daily driver, but even so, I think it is the best all around car. It does everything well... not great, but well. Sport suspension is not harsh, power delivery is.. well... fantastic, (due to torque across just about the entire rev range), and the interior is nice, especially with the sport pkg.
The M3 is much more sport oriented and you pay for that in ride quality. As a DD you will be much happier with the 335, imho.
I have always been told, buy it for what you will be doing with it 80% of the time. If you buy it for the 20%, you regret it. I've gone the 20% route... and hated my decision.
Plus, your bang for the buck ($/HP) is very expensive on the M3.
The 335 as is, is a wonderful car...add some mods and you will never look back.
My 0.02.

Bill
1999 528iT 5sp manual (new addition)
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #65
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
...Don't trade in your M3 - sell it yourself...Do a bit more research on the 335 and make sure you get the options you want.
I agree. If your M3 is in decent shape it will practically sell itself.

As you've discovered, the E9x 335i is a much more refined daily driver.

Also, you said the dealer is giving you "$15,233 for your M3 with a carry over balance of $3,000 from your current loan." You can be certain that the dealer is playing a shell game with the numbers to give you the impression of a good deal on the 335i. The monthly payment for a $27,500 loan at 2.9% for 60 months is $493. Your monthly payment of $575 suggests that you're financing about $32,000 at 2.9% for 60 months. If that's so, what is the dealer actually giving you for the M3? It appears to me that he's simply taking the M3 from you AND letting you pay off the loan balance as well!

FYI, on 31 Dec 09 I paid $27,770 + tax, tag, title, and doc fees for the following:

2007 335i Sedan
Jet Black paint/Terra leather interior
6-speed manual
ZSP-Sport Package
ZPP-Premium Package
ZCW-Cold Weather Package
CA-Comfort Access
27,200 miles on the odometer.

The car's suggested CPO price was $31,995. I also had no trade-in, so the dealer didn't play a shell game with the sale price.

It appears that your current deal is lining the Atlanta BMW dealer's pockets with your hard-earned money. You should buy the 335i from him for $27,500 without a trade, and sell the M3 on your own. Good luck on making your final decision.

Last edited by Outlaw 06; 01-22-2010 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 09:20 AM   #66
itsjappo
Lieutenant
Rep

I did try to sell my car to just break even with my loan but people thought it was too high so I didn't want to wait any longer. I had it up for sale for about 2 months. The $3000 balance carry over is after the tradein meaning I'm getting $15233 for the car but I owe $18k so the balance will carry over. The car is 27500 and plus $3000 is $30500 plus 450 doc fee, 299 tax/tag and plus 6.5% tax.

Also, the main deciding factor of my decision last night was because I will be using the car daily to go to work 80% of the time meaning if I kept the m3, I should be tracking 20% of the time and daily 20% of the time which is not what my main purpose for the car now.

The car does not have active steering but it does have the auto rear sunshade I believe.

It's gonna be sad putting the car back to stock tonight and getting ready for my trip to trade it in tomorrow. Atleast, I know I will be having those parts leftover to sell and recover money with.

Really excited but still sorta scared on the outcome will be. I am pretty confident that the car will satisfy. I'm just hoping it treats me good just like this m3 did.

Keep posted =)
Appreciate 0