E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 13 months, 11k miles and a HPFP

12-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
DCOTOSAN
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E93

13 months, 11k miles and a HPFP

One of my staff purchased a 335i E92 M-Sport about six months ago, and his HPFP failed on a drive back from NorCal. Low power, making it a dangerous drive home on the highway where the average speed is closer to 80 mph when he could only do about 55.

I guess I should consider myself lucky as mine did not actually fail?

About 3 months ago , I had a REALLY ROUGH idle after start-up, and since then when cold started, long cranks, but no Check Engine light.

I had the car in for brakes (squeal) about a month ago, but they wouldn't look at the HPFP because there was no Check Engine light.

About a week ago, the Service light finally came on for my first service. So two days ago I take the car in and tell them that I think I need a HPFP. The response, "It can be a lot of things, we will run a diagnostic." So yesterday, they call me in the afternoon and tell me they want to cold start in the AM. I guess they did and needed to wait all day for BMWNA to give them the OK to do what?...Yes, a new HPFP. They supposedly installed it this evening, and will check it in the morning.

If I haven't said this before, first and last BMW for me. After having excellent experiences with Porsches and MBs, I am done with this brand.

I'll take some blame for buying this car as my kids wanted a convertible and my wife insisted on a hardtop, but this is also the last time I let anyone influence my purchase decision.

I am not a heavy poster here, but I do read. For so many to have HPFP replacements (sometimes multiples) and for BMW to wait until each one fails is just simply moronic. I am a businessman, and I would just take the hit and replace them all with a better (hopefully) part. As the 3-Series is an "entry" BMW for many, BMW is losing potential 5, 6 and 7 and M series sales as far as I am concerned.
      12-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
BMW1986
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 M3 E92 ZCP JB/PS & BLK

What kind of gas do you use? I only use Shell and at 9,500 miles I haven't had any problems.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
Nk235
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW1986 View Post
What kind of gas do you use? I only use Shell and at 9,500 miles I haven't had any problems.
Please comon do you seriously have to ask this question? There have been tons of posts on here from people with HPFP issues who only use Shell gas and to be honest there are hundreds more of people who have HPFP issues with EVERY type of gas. Also you have less than 10k miles so not having a HPFP replacement yet on your car is not that big of an accomplishment - IT WILL COME! Sooner or later chances are you will have a failure. Don't act as if it is the original poster's fault.

I don't mean to jump down your back but I completely agree with the original poster. There are NO excuses for this type of ongoing problem. I also don't want to fuel the fire with this ongoing debate as I know there are many members on here who disagree with myself and the OP but it does really get my blood boiling just thinking about it.

I do really love driving my 335i coupe - I think it is an absolutely amazing car so I'm no going to say it will be my last BMW. I am just really disappointed in BMW for taking the easy way out - I know financially it makes sense but in the big picture I think it would be better to take a hit - even if a big one to do the right thing and maintain their integrity.

Oh well I don't mean to ramble on but what I really am just trying to say is that I really really do love my car - but am equally pissed and disappointed in it's maker for such a stupid problem that they are too cheap to fix properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
JakeN5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i LCI

Only the first hpfp and you already gave up on a great car and a great company? And if I understood correctly what you're hinting at here, that you're going back to Porsche or MB, I hate to point out that they also have their share of mechanical issues. In fact, many MB models rate very poorly on reliability according Consumer Reports. At least BMW provides 4 years or 50k miles of service and repair, so you're better off sticking with Roundel. Just my 2c.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: RS5

Sorry to hear that? The reason they don't make a different part is because they're math tells them that it is cheaper to replace the FEW that fail then replace all. Because, lets face it, they're businessman too.
      12-30-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
khoda355
Captain
Rep
Drives: EG hatch/ E90

you mad?...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 11:35 PM   #7
antongk
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 328xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nk235 View Post
I don't mean to jump down your back but I completely agree with the original poster. There are NO excuses for this type of ongoing problem. I also don't want to fuel the fire with this ongoing debate as I know there are many members on here who disagree with myself and the OP but it does really get my blood boiling just thinking about it.
+1 it really sucks that they don't fix this stupid problem. As someone has alluded to before, it seems like its going to take a serious accident before they finally take initiative...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb1637 View Post
Sorry to hear that? The reason they don't make a different part is because they're math tells them that it is cheaper to replace the FEW that fail then replace all. Because, lets face it, they're businessman too.
sigh... that seems to be the reality of the situation. however, (not sure how accurate this is) i recently read that BMW constantly uses recycled HPFPs and that you should request for a new one... seems like these things are destined to break again so why keep putting in recycled garbage.

This hpfp thing is really going to come into play for me when my current lease ends as far as upgrading to 335 or heading over to audi...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 11:50 PM   #8
angler
love to fish!
Rep
Drives: 13: SG 135i M-Sport Cabrio 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nk235 View Post
Please comon do you seriously have to ask this question? There have been tons of posts on here from people with HPFP issues who only use Shell gas and to be honest there are hundreds more of people who have HPFP issues with EVERY type of gas. Also you have less than 10k miles so not having a HPFP replacement yet on your car is not that big of an accomplishment - IT WILL COME! Sooner or later chances are you will have a failure. Don't act as if it is the original poster's fault.

I do really love driving my 335i coupe - I think it is an absolutely amazing car so I'm no going to say it will be my last BMW. I am just really disappointed in BMW for taking the easy way out - I know financially it makes sense but in the big picture I think it would be better to take a hit - even if a big one to do the right thing and maintain their integrity.

Oh well I don't mean to ramble on but what I really am just trying to say is that I really really do love my car - but am equally pissed and disappointed in it's maker for such a stupid problem that they are too cheap to fix properly.
+1 they are shameless