E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > 2010 335d base Stereo upgrade

06-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

2010 335d base Stereo upgrade

We just installed one of our Level Two systems for a forum member from Cali in their 335d.

The package included Morel Dotech 4, Jehnert 8, a DC200 DSP amp on the Morel comps and a DC350 amp on the woofers. We made the system 100% plug-and-play.

The sound quality of the system is really amazing... those woofers need to be heard. I remember when 6spdcoupe was talking about them and I was skeptical, now I'm a huge fan.

We used the BMW tweeter sails and the BMW Euro CD changer trim piece (since the car had the CD slot tray rather than the flat tray, we had to replace it with a flat tray).

We made a pattern for the amp rack, which can hold two or three Zapco amps under the EU CDC trim piece (NOT for Top HiFi cars). The rack will be available from us.

Stock mid in place:

Stock mid compared to Morel mid with our ring on it:

Stock mid location:

Morel bolted in:

Tweeter and mid Molex disconnects:

Jehnert woofer (for refrence, don't have pics of THIS car so I used pics of the Jehnert in a previous install):

Signal interface/speaker wiring plug-ins:

Amp rack:

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

What a CD changer cover piece looks like:

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Excellent...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Excellent...
Thanks! That rack can hold up to three amps under there...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Great set up and nice job Ken. Tell us more about this application! How would you compare the jenherts to other woofer options? Bass frequency range, power requirements etc. I have noticed you like the zapco amps, what is it about them that make you choose over others like the JL's?

Could you make a rack for an amp like the XD600 and an MS-8?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
Great set up and nice job Ken. Tell us more about this application! How would you compare the jenherts to other woofer options? Bass frequency range, power requirements etc. I have noticed you like the zapco amps, what is it about them that make you choose over others like the JL's?

Could you make a rack for an amp like the XD600 and an MS-8?
You apparently haven't read up on our packages. We use the JL and the Arc in our Level One packages (depending on the stock system) but in Level Two we try to use the Zapco DC amps, which have DSP front ends. 10 bands of parametric eq, time correction delay, crossover filtering with selectable slope, output control in 1dB steps, and input gain all in software - per channel!

We use the DSP section in base Stereo cars to counteract the OEM processing and to optimize the signal for the car acoustics.

So there are no amps that do what these do. The tuning is manual, not automatic, but we can preprogram them for the car and the speakers used since we've done them before.

I'm sure we could make one for that.

I know the words in the phrase "bass frequency range" but I do not understand what you're asking, sorry.

I've discussed the Jehnerts before. They are much more musical than the SWS except for rap/hip-hop and techno/ electronica where acoustic midbass really doesn't happen.

The Jehnert is the best-sounding 8 drop-in the BMW being made today. The Morel don't fit all 3ers and i dont use them any more if I cant tell if they will fit. I am ignoring discontinued speakers occasionally popping up online which are not available to dealers and which I've never heard.

I would not sell them to a kid who will abuse them - I'd sell them SWS.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 12:00 AM   #7
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Oh, and as always, my partner Tom (VP Fiberglass) did the rack and most of the wiring. I did the doors in these pics.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 03:40 AM   #8
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Nice! I gotta figure out where to stuff a DC500 in my car.
      06-16-2011, 05:53 AM   #9
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Crossoevers in the doors?

I thought you were not in favor of that location for crossovers?
It all looks real clean though.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
I thought you were not in favor of that location for crossovers?
It all looks real clean though.
I still prefer them in the trunk, but we really didn't have a lot of time, and we have so many requests to make them plug and play now, we decided to take some pics if how to do it so we can make instructions.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
You apparently haven't read up on our packages. We use the JL and the Arc in our Level One packages (depending on the stock system) but in Level Two we try to use the Zapco DC amps, which have DSP front ends. 10 bands of parametric eq, time correction delay, crossover filtering with selectable slope, output control in 1dB steps, and input gain all in software - per channel!

We use the DSP section in base Stereo cars to counteract the OEM processing and to optimize the signal for the car acoustics.

So there are no amps that do what these do. The tuning is manual, not automatic, but we can preprogram them for the car and the speakers used since we've done them before.

I'm sure we could make one for that.

I know the words in the phrase "bass frequency range" but I do not understand what you're asking, sorry.

I've discussed the Jehnerts before. They are much more musical than the SWS except for rap/hip-hop and techno/ electronica where acoustic midbass really doesn't happen.

The Jehnert is the best-sounding 8 drop-in the BMW being made today. The Morel don't fit all 3ers and i dont use them any more if I cant tell if they will fit. I am ignoring discontinued speakers occasionally popping up online which are not available to dealers and which I've never heard.

I would not sell them to a kid who will abuse them - I'd sell them SWS.
I have tried to read about your packages for the hifi car but can't find them!

What I meant about the frequency range is; what do you recommend for the Jehnerts, HP, LP, BP? In which frequency range do they perform best?

Oh and I wish I was a kid!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 12:44 AM   #12
elmerm
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Coupe

That looks awesome. Great work and thanks for posting.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 12:48 AM   #13
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
I have tried to read about your packages for the hifi car but can't find them!

What I meant about the frequency range is; what do you recommend for the Jehnerts, HP, LP, BP? In which frequency range do they perform best?

Oh and I wish I was a kid!
The Jehnerts do great down to maybe 40 - lower than any 6.5" woofer, not as low as a 10"... they are much better at midbass than the SWS. I run mine in my own car without a sub and they sound great. But if you are a rap/hip-hop or techno/electronica listener 90-95% of the time, you need the EQ or a trunk sub, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 09:07 AM   #14
Rich335d
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Hey Ken! Those are good pictures of the install. I can't thank you guys enough for the outstanding work you did. Thanks for knocking it out quickly. It was well worth the trip up to see you guys.

For anyone interested, this is my car. The system install is exponentially better than the stock base stereo.

Ken and Tom did excellent work. When I get back to the west coast in a few months, I will be going to get a sub-bass module and amp added to the trunk.

Their module is a great fit (right above the battery) and doesn't encroach on the trunk space.

I can tell you from my experience, I think Ken is a grade-A+ audiophile...he has more audio knowledge in his head than I have on Aircraft Maintenance...and I've been at that for 17 years.

Those two guys are the real deal. Send them your business.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 09:15 AM   #15
Rich335d
Rep

I can also offer my opinion on the Zapco Amps...

They have balanced inputs and adapters... From what I can tell (with my highly untrained hear) I get no discernible noise (alternator whine, etc)...they are extremely clean.

Looking at the Zapco amps, they are very versatile for mounting/connections/etc.. Very good quality stuff.

And of course, the built in DSP processing also allows for infinite options for tuning and optimizing the audio for the car and the type of music...plus...you don't need a JL Cleansweep so it saves extra connections/boxes and simplifies the system.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #16
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

VP. I would like to Purchase one of these racks. Please see my last email to you.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #17
koenb
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich335d View Post
Hey Ken! Those are good pictures of the install. I can't thank you guys enough for the outstanding work you did. Thanks for knocking it out quickly. It was well worth the trip up to see you guys.

For anyone interested, this is my car. The system install is exponentially better than the stock base stereo.

Ken and Tom did excellent work. When I get back to the west coast in a few months, I will be going to get a sub-bass module and amp added to the trunk.

Their module is a great fit (right above the battery) and doesn't encroach on the trunk space.

I can tell you from my experience, I think Ken is a grade-A+ audiophile...he has more audio knowledge in his head than I have on Aircraft Maintenance...and I've been at that for 17 years.

Those two guys are the real deal. Send them your business.
Hey Rich, where in CA are you located? If you're in the bay area I would love to see/hear the install! I'm considering a similar upgrade to my 2010 335D.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #18
Mud8541
Itchy Right Foot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d

I second that emotion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by koenb View Post
Hey Rich, where in CA are you located? If you're in the bay area I would love to see/hear the install! I'm considering a similar upgrade to my 2010 335D.
I'm picking up my 2011 335d tomorrow and it has the base system as well. I'd also love to see/hear this install.

Rich? You out there? I know it's been a while since you posted this.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #19
Rich335d
Rep

Sorry, been on the road....I'm in Washington state at the moment...

I've since added a nice Carbon Fiber Sub that I got from Ken...

Amazing.

If you'd like to check it out..send me a PM...and I'll see what I can do.
Appreciate 0