E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Best option for Resale value

04-23-2007, 12:50 PM   #23
Art Man
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 320D SE

Why don’t you use the approved used BMW site to see what extras have been added to 320D M Sports. It is likely that the majority of vehicles will be ex-dealer or BME Management cars and they put on extras that add to the resale value – 18” seems to be a common extra.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 02:04 PM   #24
bob mushroom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 320d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Man View Post
Why don’t you use the approved used BMW site to see what extras have been added to 320D M Sports. It is likely that the majority of vehicles will be ex-dealer or BME Management cars and they put on extras that add to the resale value – 18” seems to be a common extra.
Did that the other evening of all the cars none had i-grive and prof nav! perhaps that is telling me something!!!

Most did have 18" alloys and bluetooth but very little else
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2007, 03:16 PM   #25
SRT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Or it may annoy you because every time you start the car in the morning it will screech because you are in the 'red zone'.

Since you already know you are close to the wall (because you can see it) you will then turn of PDC to get rid of the noise and promptly back into a parked car.
lol would be nice trying to explaining how you backed into a car when you have PDC - would never hear the end of it from my mates

The PDC usually only comes on when you select reverse gear, though, isn't it? In which case your about to move, so the red-zone beeping shouldn't be too bothersome
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 04:01 AM   #26
agh!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 320d SE

Front PDC seems pointless, especially on a car where you can almost see to the end of the bonnet.

In the crazy world of stiff sidewall RFT's there is anicdotal evidence around that 18" wheels actually provide a better handling AND ride than 17" (on 16" myself). Certain to be better for resale since so many buyers go by looks and badge.

After that I'd go for the option that will make your life easier - the rear sun blinds to keep the little one happy
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 07:28 AM   #27
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
lol would be nice trying to explaining how you backed into a car when you have PDC - would never hear the end of it from my mates

The PDC usually only comes on when you select reverse gear, though, isn't it? In which case your about to move, so the red-zone beeping shouldn't be too bothersome
It used to bother me first thing in the morning as I backed of the drive.

A high pitched

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeee

isn't the best start to the day.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 07:30 AM   #28
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob mushroom View Post
Did that the other evening of all the cars none had i-grive and prof nav! perhaps that is telling me something!!!

Most did have 18" alloys and bluetooth but very little else
Pro-nav is a bit rare. As such I think it definitely adds marketability and probably a grand or so to the re-sale.

It's not common on 4 cylinder cars
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 08:15 AM   #29
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Agree, pro nav will certainly add value
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 09:39 AM   #30
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Big Wheels do Deals
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 09:56 AM   #31
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
It's just that I tend not to drive straight into inanimate objects in forward gear.

Just the animated ones, huh? Remind me at the next meet to follow you.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 10:15 AM   #32
ROCKETRON
320D M-sport le-mans blue
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320D M-Sport le-mans blue

The most important items for adding second hand value and making the car stand out from all the basic lease repmobiles are Leather/Auto/Satnav+bluetooth/Wheels. Most of the others extras are worth it if you want them, if not dont bother.
If you watch dealers at the auctions or you ring them up the first thing they will say is has it got leather? Auto adds about the same to the secondhand price as it costs in the first place and satnav/bluetooth about half what it cost originally. All the other things add to desirabilty and help it to sell but dont add much extra money.

E90 320D M-Sport Lemans blue/beige leather/wood/auto/lumbar support/folding mirrors/through load/bluetooth/pro satnav,i-drive/voice control. NOW SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 10:34 AM   #33
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETRON View Post
The most important items for adding second hand value and making the car stand out from all the basic lease repmobiles are Leather/Auto/Satnav+bluetooth/Wheels. Most of the others extras are worth it if you want them, if not dont bother.
If you watch dealers at the auctions or you ring them up the first thing they will say is has it got leather? Auto adds about the same to the secondhand price as it costs in the first place and satnav/bluetooth about half what it cost originally. All the other things add to desirabilty and help it to sell but dont add much extra money.
Very good knowledge
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 11:32 AM   #34
JonMad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d SE;Mazda MX-5

Garage List
1990 Mazda MX-5  [0.00]
2005 BMW 320d  [0.00]
Re the seat adjustment, depends how often your wife drives the car. My girlfriend is 4'11 and I'm 6.3. If she drove it more often (she doesn't drive it much as she doesn't like not being able to see the bonnet) then I'd want as much electric seat adjustment as possible. As it is I can live with the occasional manual movement.

Front PDC would be handy if you have to do a lot of parallel parking. Esp. for a short person, imo.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 03:00 PM   #35
Art Man
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 320D SE

There are some “extras” that you got to have, as the 2nd hand market expects them i.e. 5 series needs metallic, auto and leather. You may find it harder to shift it if it hasn’t got them.
Auto is the only extra that will make a real difference to the 2nd value, but you still won’t get all of your money back, just the same percentage as the car makes. The dealer may ask if it’s got leather etc, but that doesn’t mean they give you substantially more, just makes their job easier in selling it.
Then you got to see where the car sits in the range and who will it appeal too. 320D M Sport and is only about £2,750 cheaper than 325D M Sport. Mr Buyer is likely to be after the biggest bangs for his money, so your ceiling is fixed by the 325D M Sport, i.e. about 2 grand of extras. For example, just look at all the 2nd hand 320D M Sport manual, on September 56 plate on the BMW web page. The Majority of them are VAT Qualifying and I bet you there all ex BMW Management cars. I reckon BMW put a ceiling of £2K worth of extras, of which metallic paint is compulsory leaving £1500 for other extras, generally wheels and Bluetooth.
So if you are looking to maximise your return, follow BMW. If it was me, I would pick the extras I wanted. I’ve only got 320D SE, but I put on 3 grand of extras because that what I wanted. I know I won’t get my money back, but who cares.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 03:07 PM   #36
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Man View Post
There are some “extras” that you got to have, as the 2nd hand market expects them i.e. 5 series needs metallic, auto and leather. You may find it harder to shift it if it hasn’t got them.
Auto is the only extra that will make a real difference to the 2nd value, but you still won’t get all of your money back, just the same percentage as the car makes. The dealer may ask if it’s got leather etc, but that doesn’t mean they give you substantially more, just makes their job easier in selling it.
Then you got to see where the car sits in the range and who will it appeal too. 320D M Sport and is only about £2,750 cheaper than 325D M Sport. Mr Buyer is likely to be after the biggest bangs for his money, so your ceiling is fixed by the 325D M Sport, i.e. about 2 grand of extras. For example, just look at all the 2nd hand 320D M Sport manual, on September 56 plate on the BMW web page. The Majority of them are VAT Qualifying and I bet you there all ex BMW Management cars. I reckon BMW put a ceiling of £2K worth of extras, of which metallic paint is compulsory leaving £1500 for other extras, generally wheels and Bluetooth.
So if you are looking to maximise your return, follow BMW. If it was me, I would pick the extras I wanted. I’ve only got 320D SE, but I put on 3 grand of extras because that what I wanted. I know I won’t get my money back, but who cares.
Very sound advice.

As someone who tried to buy a secondhand 530d with a manual box I would have to agree ... there aren't any.

And even though I don't particularly like leather I turned my nose up at any 5's without it.

I did notice that wheels and sat-nav were very important for 5 series and 330/330d's though.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 03:08 PM   #37
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
I think it's fairer to only crash into animate objects. At least they have a sporting chance and can try to get out of the way.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2007, 04:28 PM   #38
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
That's pretty easy when paul takes off before everyone has programmed their SatNav

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0