Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire Tread Question..

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

06-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
King335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 CP 6MT, '13 X1 35i

Tire Tread Question..

I recently went into my local Les Schwab to have my rear tires changed because they were actually shredding for some reason and had these massive rips in the tread. I'd like to say right off the bat though, I know Les Schwab sucks but I found a couple guys there that have done a lot of work with aftermarket wheels on BMW's and I've had no problems with them so far.

Anyways, I was riding on Toyo T1R's and for some reason they were shredding as I mentioned above, so I asked them about ordering a new set of T1R's for the rear and they told me that the T1R's would be about 4 weeks out, but that they had a pair of Michelin PS2's in stock that they could install that day.

I then asked the guy (who wasn't the dude with which I normally did business) about any problems that could arise from the difference in tread between the T1R's and the PS2's. The guy said that mixing treads was not problematic and that everything should be fine. It was at that point that one of his co-workers came up and mentioned something about selling me tires of a different tread, kinda slapped him on the back and let out a sighing laugh, as if he thought the guy was doing something scandalous and the joke was on me. The guy suggested that I go to the BMW dealership to have them align the wheels because they did not know the specs at which BMW set wheels. I did that the next day.

Ever since I changed the rears I've noticed some odd behavior from the car. On the interstate it jerks and pulls like crazy, making lengthy travel a real pain in the ass. Also, I've noticed in general that the car feels a lot less "stable" taking corners at slow/medium speeds while driving in the city. Instead of smoothly taking corners like it used to, it now kind of bounces left and right while moving through a corner, the body rocks side-to-side.

Does anyone have any idea what could be happening? Any advice? Anyone ever have the same problem?

2007 E92 335i--SG, Fully loaded, minus the dead weight..err..iDrive and Active Steering.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274512

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0