E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Looking for advice on detailing my car

04-12-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
gtvr6
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Looking for advice on detailing my car

I have an '07 335i that in Monaco Blue. I've owned this car since 2010 and I've never detailed it. I've had it clayed and waxed and but never full detailed. I'd like to tackle this myself now. Looking to buy a PC 7424XP & CCS Pad Kit from Auto Geek. I'm Following the Detailing 101 sticky (holy crap DavidN did an amazing job with this post and I can't believe it's over 10 years old.),

I was planning the following:

- A mild polish (Klasse All In One (AIO) for Klasse details) applied with an orange pad: My car has swirl marks but I've never detailed a car and don't want to damage the paint. Am I wasting my time and should I go to Menzerna Intensive Polish to remove my swirls and follow that with the Klasse AIO? If so, which Pads - Orange for the Menzerna, white for the AIO?? (I just priced the Menzerna IP 2000 on Autogeek - Is there something else that I could use?) (Update: I realize I was looking at the wrong one, its the Menzerna PO91EQ, but that's out of stock so I'm still seaching).

- Klasse Sealant Glaze (SG) applied with what? Can I use the PC with a white (green) pad or does the sealant need to be applied by hand?

I will follow the washing/claying technique but I'm a little lost on the polishing/sealant (or waxing). Is my plan a good one or am I missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for everyone's help

Last edited by gtvr6; 04-12-2016 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 09:18 AM   #2
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Klasse AIO will do nothing even with an orange pad for swirls. At a bare minimum I'd do Meg's M205 but I'd recommend Meg's UC with an orange pad, then M205 with a white pad. Meg's UC works (for me) on 95% of cars I do and it's cheap and you can get it at local shops (OReillys).

Make sure you get a good clay or clay towel/sponge before you do any polishing/buffing. I'm not a fan of Klasse SG. It's hard to apply and hard to take off. Check out Sonax Polymer Netshield for a good sealant. I do it by hand to make sure it's applied evenly.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

I also agree that KAIO is probably not the right choice here...

It sounds like you need to do some actual correction work and not just light polishing. Here are a list of products I would recommend to tackle your vehicle.

Compound & Polish:
Meg's M100 Cutting Compound (SMAT)
Meg's M205 Finishing Polish (SMAT)

Buffing Pads:
Meguiar's MicroFiber Cutting Discs - Great for removing heavier defects or for working with harder paint
Lake Country 5.5” and 3” Foam Pads (I typically recommend Orange Light Cutting Pads, White Polishing Pads, Black Finishing Pads, and Blue Fine Finishing Pads)

Polishing Pads: How Many Do I Need? by Zach McGovern
Analyzing Your Test Spot by Zach McGovern
Paint Correction: Pairing Products and Pads by Zach McGovern

Let me know if you have any questions!

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
gtvr6
Private
Rep

This is awesome.

I was going to follow up with some questions and then realized that I have a lot of reading to do....

I'm going to look over the articles you've suggested and probably have more questions....then start my ordering.

Do you which sealant (or wax) would recommend? I'm guessing stick to the Meg's family of products. I have used Meguiar's in the past and I've been happy.

Thanks again and I will reach out to you again....pretty soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 12:27 PM   #5
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

I really like Menzerna Power Lock or Blackfire Wet Diamond sealants.

Look forward to answering any questions you may have after reading

Zach McGovern
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 10:25 PM   #6
Nicky92
Fastest 335 on Earth
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post

Zach McGovern
Not a fan of HydrO2 or Reload? Or just haven't used it yet.

Curious about it
E92 335i, 6MT- YouWish Single turbo, Precision 6466, Doc Race intake manifold w/port injection, Precision Raceworks coil packs and Stage 3 lpfp, 3.46 geared Mfactory LSD, VRSF 3.5" single exhaust, Toyo R888Rs, Spec Stage 3+ clutch, DSS axles, RTD shifter, Motiv, boost box and flex fuel, WOTBOX, MOTIV tuned...and much more
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 08:06 AM   #7
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky92 View Post
Not a fan of HydrO2 or Reload? Or just haven't used it yet.

Curious about it
I have both and we use HydrO2 regularly... we tend to use it mostly on wheels as the majority of our work involves paint correction and nano coatings so HydrO2 doesn't get used on paint too often in our shop.

CarPro HydrO2: Seal Your Wheels in Less than 1 Minute by Zach McGovern
CarPro HydrO2: Application Tips by Zach McGovern
Product Review: CarPro HydrO2 Foam by Zach McGovern

Reload can be very nice, though I find there is a rather large learning curve and many consumers struggle to get good results with it because they are using it incorrectly. The trick is to use very little product, work it in with a towel, then immediately remove with a 2nd towel.

I personally enjoy spreading traditional sealants... it is quick and easy when done by machine, and I just think it is fun

Zach McGovern
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #8
gtvr6
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post

Zach McGovern
Ordered my supplies (Your site and prices are great). I had a chance to do a wash and snap a few quick pictures with my IPhone. Pictures don't really tell a good story. Some spots look worse than others. So based on your product list, would you think this makes sense:
- Wash/Clay bar/wash
- Meg's M100 with the MicroFiber Cutting Discs
- two passes with Meg's M205, first with the Orange Light Cutting Pads, then with the white.
- Blackfire Wet Diamond sealants with the blue pad

Am I even in the ball park?

Here are a few pictures of what I'm starting with.
Name:  Paint View 1.JPG
Views: 430
Size:  77.8 KB

Name:  Paint View 2.JPG
Views: 535
Size:  78.2 KB

Name:  Paint View 3.JPG
Views: 459
Size:  96.6 KB

Name:  Paint View 4.JPG
Views: 412
Size:  77.0 KB