E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Dampers and springs upgrade - Anything Else to Buy/Install?

11-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
pinemind
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M-sport 6 sp manual

Dampers and springs upgrade - Anything Else to Buy/Install?

All,

I've pretty much decided to go with the Koni Yellows and Eibach Pro springs to upgrade the suspension on my 335i xDrive.

Aside from the dampers, struts, springs is there anything else to consider? I know from my Subaru days that a lot of times, aftermarket top-hats were considered so I don't know if that applies here or not.

Also, would it be prudent to get an M3 sway bar and bushings since I'm already under there doing the work? Or can I survive for the next 6 months without? I'm thinking I'd like to get the suspension on there, let it settle, align, and drive it for awhile before contemplating sway/bushings.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemind
All,

I've pretty much decided to go with the Koni Yellows and Eibach Pro springs to upgrade the suspension on my 335i xDrive.

Aside from the dampers, struts, springs is there anything else to consider? I know from my Subaru days that a lot of times, aftermarket top-hats were considered so I don't know if that applies here or not.

Also, would it be prudent to get an M3 sway bar and bushings since I'm already under there doing the work? Or can I survive for the next 6 months without? I'm thinking I'd like to get the suspension on there, let it settle, align, and drive it for awhile before contemplating sway/bushings.
Cool set up. My .02 cents on your direction is for you to think about the part & installation expense. I've done what you are planning to do. Installing items piece by piece which cost more in the end than rather installing them in large groups ( don't need to do everything all at once).

If you are thinking about M3 parts, If you decide to change the rear sway bar, the entire rear sub frame needs to be dropped. Depending who does the job, it's a 5-7 hour job @ +\- 100/hr for the install. If planning to track the car, then road balancing the wheels and tires maybe an option.

Also what is your main reason for changing the suspension?
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
pinemind
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M-sport 6 sp manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperx View Post
Cool set up. My .02 cents on your direction is for you to think about the part & installation expense. I've done what you are planning to do. Installing items piece by piece which cost more in the end than rather installing them in large groups ( don't need to do everything all at once).

If you are thinking about M3 parts, If you decide to change the rear sway bar, the entire rear sub frame needs to be dropped. Depending who does the job, it's a 5-7 hour job @ +\- 100/hr for the install. If planning to track the car, then road balancing the wheels and tires maybe an option.

Also what is your main reason for changing the suspension?
Yikes. I may stay away from the M3 parts. It may also be overkill.

I have an xi so I hate the stance. Plus I find the suspension to be a bit floaty at times. I'm not that concerned with aesthetics, that's why I think the Eibach's will be perfect (considered H&R but I don't want that huge drop). I just want a more planted ride and a bit lower stance. I will never track the car, so it will just see road use.
Appreciate 0