E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > 335 SCCA Classification?

06-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
fast_lap28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Montego

335 SCCA Classification?

I was originally classified as FS (F stock) with only a piggy. after checking with SCCA tech they came back and classified me as BSP (B street prepared)....just wanted to check those running autox or SCCA members with mods on their 335 what they got classified as?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
I thought it was A-stock. But I could be wrong. B-SP has tons of modified miata's in it if I remember correctly.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
fast_lap28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

the SCCA guys checked and because of the 3.0L engine and modifications I have they determined it as BSP. thus far I have only ran with modified 350Z's in this class and no miata's....

definitely not AS...but then who knows. I have read the classification rules and it makes sense where they have classed me in, however there's always room for interpretation I guess.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
ImolaZHP
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Imola ZHP coupe

335i is FS
135i is DS
http://www.scca.org/documents/Solo%2...nufacturer.pdf

2014 F25 35i M Sport
2010 E90 SG M Sport - ED -> recycled
2008 E92 AW ED -> Nurburgring -> PCD -> recycled
2005 E46 Imola ZHP -> back to BMW recycle bin
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
fast_lap28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaZHP View Post
my 335 is not stock, thus why I was re-classified under BSP "street prepared". the moment you do anything to stock it goes in another class.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_lap28 View Post
my 335 is not stock, thus why I was re-classified under BSP "street prepared". the moment you do anything to stock it goes in another class.
But why would they bump you from F stock to BSP. That's quite a few classess, and considering its an SP class. Are you running r-comps? If not, you may want to look at STU. STU is typically dominated by the STI's in my region, but a sorted 335i can do well ... on the longer courses.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #7
fast_lap28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdrmz View Post
But why would they bump you from F stock to BSP. That's quite a few classess, and considering its an SP class. Are you running r-comps? If not, you may want to look at STU. STU is typically dominated by the STI's in my region, but a sorted 335i can do well ... on the longer courses.
not sure, but the SCCA tech guys discussed and thats what they came up with.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_lap28 View Post
not sure, but the SCCA tech guys discussed and thats what they came up with.
well if you're just out to have fun and become a better driver, then I wouldn't worry about it. However, if you're trying to be competetive either on a regional or national level, I'd say get a different car for a different class or re-read the class guide on allowed modifications and make a case for yourself to run in the correct class, either something like FSP or one of the ST classes depending on what changes you have made to the car. Again, depends on what you're trying to get out of the car and autocross experience. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 08:15 PM   #9
fast_lap28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well if you're just out to have fun and become a better driver, then I wouldn't worry about it. However, if you're trying to be competetive either on a regional or national level, I'd say get a different car for a different class or re-read the class guide on allowed modifications and make a case for yourself to run in the correct class, either something like FSP or one of the ST classes depending on what changes you have made to the car. Again, depends on what you're trying to get out of the car and autocross experience. Good luck
appreciate the info...as a matter of fact I am in the process of looking for an E36 to turn into dedicated track car. I will continue to autox the 335 for the seat time and experience, besides, its TOO DAMN FUN!

I just wanted to be in the proper class to be competitive enough with the right cars. this way I can test myself against the oters in the same class without a doubt...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #10
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
I am in BSP with a 335i. I believe it can also go into STU which is a class the 335i qualifies in, but I haven't checked to be sure. I don't run competitively though so no sweat off my back. At our autoXs here, BSP is usually filled up with moderately modified Evos and a fast ass C4 Vette.

If you're on street tires you can run in the T2 class and be a bit more competitive there.
      06-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #11
rsjames
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Montego Blue

The stock class for the the 335i is F, and the Street Prepared class is B. Because the piggyback probably affects boost levels, STU (Street Touring Unlimited) is not an option. Further, until the rule changes, the 335i isn't legal in STU because there is a single turbo limitation (expect that rule to change for 2009).

If the piggyback is all you've done, the car is probably way outclassed in BSP, depending on the competition in your region. But if you're a beginner anyway, it doesn't really matter. Go out, have fun and learn how to drive the thing. THEN worry about making the car competitive in BSP or take it back to stock.

Richard
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 07:17 PM   #12
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjames View Post
The stock class for the the 335i is F, and the Street Prepared class is B. Because the piggyback probably affects boost levels, STU (Street Touring Unlimited) is not an option. Further, until the rule changes, the 335i isn't legal in STU because there is a single turbo limitation (expect that rule to change for 2009).

If the piggyback is all you've done, the car is probably way outclassed in BSP, depending on the competition in your region. But if you're a beginner anyway, it doesn't really matter. Go out, have fun and learn how to drive the thing. THEN worry about making the car competitive in BSP or take it back to stock.

Richard
Good catch. I totally missed that exclusion for a single turbo.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #13
rsjames
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Montego Blue

Quote:
Good catch. I totally missed that exclusion for a single turbo.
Like I said, expect that to change for 2009. Nothing set in stone, but the proposal has been floated.

Richard
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 02:23 PM   #14
fast_lap28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

thanks Richard!

I will stay in BSP since I just got back into this whole autox deal...besides, in our region we have a few competitive BSP guys....been co-driving with my brother and he seems to be my biggest competition right now. couple of weekends ago he got 1st and I got 2nd in BSP! definitely learning but still tons of fun!!
Appreciate 0