E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D Suck

01-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
virk007
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i AW

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2000 BMW 323CI  [0.00]
Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D Suck

After reading positive reviews on the forums last year, I decided to purchase new Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D with Rial Salernos from TireRack. I didn't really get to try them out last year since it barely snowed in Southern Illinois. Today there was decent snow and my tires sucked. Every turn my traction light was blinking like crazy, have to give the lightest pedal touch or they start spinning at a red light or stop. Maybe my PSI (29) isn't right or something, there still mint 3000km only. Anyone else have a problem with the same tires?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Agreed. Had those SP Wintersports and they were horrible. Even worse though are the Hankook I'Pikes I'm running now. What a waste of money.

Best winter tires I've had are the Vikings and oddly the very low-rated Semperits on the Z4 which out-drove my e46 on Dunlop Winter Sports.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
BenTrovato
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

I have the 3D's. It's a rear wheel drive car, you're not going to have full grip from a full stop. Take off the traction control if you're struggling. If you want maximum grip you'll need a set of Blizzak LM's or Gislaved's.

It's a sport winter tire. It does well in cold climates that don't get blitzed with snow. The occasional day you get snow, you'll need some extra TLC driving around. For this car, I would probably get the same tires again, anything softer would wear out too quickly on the rears but it depends where you live and how much snow you get. They should be superb under braking and cornering at speed though. If they aren't, then there is a problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
OwnAge
Gourik
Canada
Rep
Drives: soon

Garage List
2009 328i  [8.90]
I love mine. Didn't have a problem with them at all. In deeps snow their are good. In light snow I feel like im on the dry surface. Breaking is great. im RWD and i can't complain about them at all. Not sure whats your expectation of a snow tires are..
ps. Mine are 205s, I made sure i didn't go wider.
      01-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2011 M3 Coupe

I have to double check what winter rubber I have on....I must admit, mine suck as well. Even in the lightest of snow, the traction light blinks like a Christmas light.

I never got winter rubber for my 350Z when I had it, but when I had my RSX, I had an amazing pair of winters on it, felt like I could drive through anything. Definitely don't have that security / comfort right now.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
I have the 3D's. It's a rear wheel drive car, you're not going to have full grip from a full stop. Take off the traction control if you're struggling. If you want maximum grip you'll need a set of Blizzak LM's or Gislaved's.

It's a sport winter tire. It does well in cold climates that don't get blitzed with snow. The occasional day you get snow, you'll need some extra TLC driving around. For this car, I would probably get the same tires again, anything softer would wear out too quickly on the rears but it depends where you live and how much snow you get. They should be superb under braking and cornering at speed though. If they aren't, then there is a problem.
totally agree with this feedback
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
jim.e.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90

I'm on the WinterSport 3D's and see no problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
Galey335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: SGM 335i

I have used my wintersport 3D for 4 seasons. This will be my last season on them as my rears are wore out.

No complain whatsoever on these tires at all. I even went with a staggered setup. 225 up front, 245 rear. Honestly, ppl just need to drive with a little common sense. Mine is RWD, I can't expect the car not to slip at all when there's snow on surface. Just have to be easy on the pedal. Especially with the torque from a 335, I think the tires have worked what I expect them to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
When there is no snow on the ground I still manage to spin my rears from every red light and every single turn I take. I think I need to start wearing lighter shoes... must be the shoes.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
pHo_e92
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.26]
2000 BMW 323i  [6.00]
1997 Honda Civic HB  [10.00]
2007 BMW X5 4.8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post

+1 turn traction off by pressing it once. not fully off. our traction control is very sensitive. theres a thread about this on here. in the winter i always have my dtc half off.

| COBB | Injen DCI | Active Autowerke | Sonic Tuning | E92 Lighting | ER | HKS | BMS | Ground Control | Vortex Tuning |
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #11
littleE92
Douche in Training
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi E92 M-Sport

I drove a 6MT RWD car in snow for 6 years...

If you find that you are slipping a lot from a stop, then try starting in 2nd gear...it makes a huge difference. That should eliminate slipping most of the time.

If you get stuck and cannot get going, shut traction and give it a try.

Another thing to check are the direction of your tires, a lot of tires are not bi-directional, so if yours are pointing the wrong way then they are not performing optimally...You'd be surprised how many dealers have goofed on me when installing my tires each season...

Last edited by littleE92; 01-28-2012 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 01:00 AM   #12
jim.e.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galey335 View Post
I have used my wintersport 3D for 4 seasons. This will be my last season on them as my rears are wore out.

No complain whatsoever on these tires at all. I even went with a staggered setup. 225 up front, 245 rear. Honestly, ppl just need to drive with a little common sense. Mine is RWD, I can't expect the car not to slip at all when there's snow on surface. Just have to be easy on the pedal. Especially with the torque from a 335, I think the tires have worked what I expect them to do.
Same, 225 front 255 rear, rwd and not an XI.

Like someone else mentioned, I turn DTC off and leave DSC on. Or the other way around; half off is what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #13
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleE92 View Post
I drove a 6MT RWD car in snow for 6 years...

If you find that you are slipping a lot from a stop, then try starting in 2nd gear...it makes a huge difference. That should eliminate slipping most of the time.

If you get stuck and cannot get going, shut traction and give it a try.

Another thing to check are the direction of your tires, a lot of tires are not bi-directional, so if yours are pointing the wrong way then they are not performing optimally...You'd be surprised how many dealers have goofed on me when installing my tires each season...
2nd gear start works wonders
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #14
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

There is no one perfect set of winter tires out there. There will always be some tradeoffs. If you have chosen the Xice2 for example, then the ice & snow traction are very good but the steering and braking response may be lacking under dry road conition. The noise level on the highway may be a bit higher as well.

I currently have 3D but had used M3 and LM25 for my past cars and they all performed well.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #15
hubble bubble
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Next time, try Hakkas. Nokian Hakkapeliitta R. Best winter tires I have ever had. Listed as a top 5 by CR as BOTH a sport winter tire and a real winter tire. Not quite as good as my wife's Xice2 on ice and hardpacked snow, but better in deep snow and much better on dry roads.

PS - I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and ski to in the Rocky Mountains every weekend. In fact, my ski buddy insists we take my 335i not his Tundra, unless there is more than 6 inches of snow on the ground.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #16
alcolite
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Anyone know how Pirelli Winter 210 Sottozero's are gonna behave on an e92 328xi?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #17
who's ur daddy?
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Canada's first and only 323xi

These are a high performance winter tire. In dry cold temps, they are great. Unfortunately, they suck donkey balls in the snow and ice. No bite at all.

I would never buy these things again. The non-mainstream brand I have on my car now is a million times better for the snow and ice than the 3Ds. Sure, it may squirm a little more than the 3Ds on the highway, but it's a trade off that is well worth it in my opinion.

Summary: Dunlop 3Ds = Donkey Balls.
      01-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #18
Auto Pilot
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 SG CR 335xi e92, M-Sport

I have these tires and my e92 is XI. Only thing that can hold me back is a lack of clearance when the snow is deep or when there's freezing rain.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #19
Fozzy
Waaka Waaka
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 xdrive & 2015 F15

I was going to post something today about how awesome my set up is, since it's snowing quite a bit here tonight. I got Wintersports last year.

Love my xdrive too.

The trade off you have at least is the dunlops perform really well on dry/ wet pavement. Not as good as with Blizzaks but for the 5-10 snow days I deal with it's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #20
techwiz
Jet Black
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i

Garage List
2009 E92 328i  [0.00]
I have the M3s. While they are fine in the cold, I'm not too impressed by their performance in the snow. Reassuring to know that I'm not the only one...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #21
e90fanatic
Absolute0
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Has a Roundel

Quote:
Originally Posted by virk007 View Post
After reading positive reviews on the forums last year, I decided to purchase new Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D with Rial Salernos from TireRack. I didn't really get to try them out last year since it barely snowed in Southern Illinois. Today there was decent snow and my tires sucked. Every turn my traction light was blinking like crazy, have to give the lightest pedal touch or they start spinning at a red light or stop. Maybe my PSI (29) isn't right or something, there still mint 3000km only. Anyone else have a problem with the same tires?
i concur. will never buy dunlops anymore. blizzaks were the best. my winter 3d also wobbles at 80mph or more
      01-31-2012, 12:50 PM   #22
OwnAge
Gourik
Canada
Rep
Drives: soon

Garage List
2009 328i  [8.90]
I was driving yesterday from new market to downtown in the snow (before it started to get cleaned up) I Was fine. Passed by everyone, felt scary at times going close to the side on higher speeds (didnt want to end up in the ditch ) but car stayed stable. In deep snow from stand up its not as on the clean ground of course but still, I dont have a problem moving and as soon as i put into second, the car pulls. (dont like to start in second)
May be its my 205/16 at 36psi or n52 (i know on 335 is harder to start from stop) but i really don't have any complains about these tires. I wont even talk about mild snow cause its the same as dry ground for me. I drove twice to tremblant and ones to jaypeak already this season. No problems, like any year. 3rd season with the tires. All i can feel is starting in deep snow is a little worse then when i got em new but thats normal.

Ohh and as the poster above stated about wobbles. I didn't feel any yesterday. Just the tire hitting different patterns of snow.
I heard good things about blizzaks but i've read somewhere that unlike 3ds blizzaks dont last as long. That was the main reason I went with 3ds. Think the 3d were cheaper too.

All tires perform differently in different conditions, all got pros and cons. Cost, wear, noise, breaking.. Pick the best combo for yourself.

LoL I drove my brothers Vibe with winter set up last week (no snow day) Damn that thing was loud. I was blasting the music just so i could not hear that tire noise. Hated it. Reminded me of my summer set up which I absolutely hate. Felt good to switch to winters and of course ill be changing my summer tire setup this year.