E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Wear and Tear Insurance confusion

02-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
BavFan_08
Dreamer
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 E88 6MT | Ret '08 E90 335i

Wear and Tear Insurance confusion

Well....my days with the ultimate driving machine are slowly coming to an end....still three months left, but I just want to thank everyone on this board for their patience and support with me over the years.

I've learned a lot - and its nice to know there are so many smart, well-to-do bmw people willing to help out there.

anywho, I did purchase the wear and tear insurance and I'm very confused. The dealer and BMW Canada are giving me different answers. I've done a search and read the terms of the insurance but I am still not clear.

I have the following damage to my car:

- curb rash on my front bumper (narrow hospital parking and didnt see the curb)

- curb rash on my wheels

- cracked windsheild

- deep scratch on the passenger side skirt

Now, do I just wait for my inspection and wait to find out what the damages are? and find out how much my insurance covers?

OR

Should I just start repairing some things and see what the inspection report reveals. The thing is I am not getting a clear answer on what the wear and tear covers (I know its 7500 max, but the limits on damages arent very specific.) I got the package in the mail to measure the tread depths, cracks and so forth - but it doesn't seem to mention that the wear and tear coverage could help pay for these. I believe the package is for what's acceptable before any insurance is applied.

So yes as you can tell I am confused. If anyone can share their experiences with the lease inspection and wear and tear insurance experience, it would greatly be appreciated

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by BavFan_08; 02-26-2012 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

I thought the insurance will cover up to $7500 ? worth of damages. So, in another words, there are fine prints on that ... I think the clear cut answer is to take whatever BMW Canada told you and go from there since they are the one administered the insurance program.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
BavFan_08
Dreamer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
I thought the insurance will cover up to $7500 ? worth of damages. So, in another words, there are fine prints on that ... I think the clear cut answer is to take whatever BMW Canada told you and go from there since they are the one administered the insurance program.
Yes...thats my understanding...I guess I will just go with the inspection and see what they say is covered and isn't.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
farbmw
Brigadier General
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!

I am not sure what it covers because I finance my BMWs not lease, but if I was you do the inspection and see what they cover.

Would they give you a chance to fix the things that they don't cover?

What do you plan on getting into next?

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
BavFan_08
Dreamer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post
I am not sure what it covers because I finance my BMWs not lease, but if I was you do the inspection and see what they cover.

Would they give you a chance to fix the things that they don't cover?

What do you plan on getting into next?
Hey thanks for the reply...how's the 335is treating you? I think there should be a chance...but thats a great question...I am going to find out...by what I've read it seems people are having their inspections 1-2 months before their lease ends....for another vehicle, I'm still trying to decide with my wife...unfortunately she doesn't want another BMW
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
BavFan_08
Dreamer
Canada
Rep

Ok my inspection is set in a couple of weeks - BMW Canada says the inspection company has no idea about my wear and tear insurance...so I'm still wondering how this is going to work out...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavFan_08
Ok my inspection is set in a couple of weeks - BMW Canada says the inspection company has no idea about my wear and tear insurance...so I'm still wondering how this is going to work out...
I was told by the dealership that if the damages are under a certain threshold, I don't need to do anything , pretty much what bobblehead said.

I do recall sales guy saying no need to get a 3M on the hood since I have the excess wear and tear that covers the stone chips etc. and also if the tires are completely worn out its okay.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
BavFan_08
Dreamer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
I was told by the dealership that if the damages are under a certain threshold, I don't need to do anything , pretty much what bobblehead said.

I do recall sales guy saying no need to get a 3M on the hood since I have the excess wear and tear that covers the stone chips etc. and also if the tires are completely worn out its okay.
Thanks for the input buddy! Will definitely find out in the next few days as my inspection is coming up! Only 57 days left until the ultimate driving machine leaves me
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
Isotope9
Rep
Drives: 328 w/ Sport

It covers up to a total of $7500 in damages with no individual item being more than $1000,

I turned in my car with bald tires and no brakes (from track days...they don't actually check the brakes though), a few stone chips and a scraped lower lip and they didn't bat an eye.

I was worried too...but it was the easiest lease return ever.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

technically, wear and tear only applies to several items:
- tires
- brake pads and rotors
- windshield wipers
- lights (xenons, LEDs, and standard lights bulbs)
- small stone chips on windshield (non accident/non-self-inflicted related)
- engine/drive-train components (non accident/non-self-inflicted related)
- minor cosmetic damage to body due to stone chips (non accident/non-self-inflicted related)
- minor scratches to rims (non accident/non-self-inflicted related)

the only item on your list that may be covered are "cracked windshield", if it is deemed non accident/non-self-inflicted related.

the other 3 items are self-inflicted and the dealership does not have an obligation to cover them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavFan_08 View Post
Well....my days with the ultimate driving machine are slowly coming to an end....still three months left, but I just want to thank everyone on this board for their patience and support with me over the years.

I've learned a lot - and its nice to know there are so many smart, well-to-do bmw people willing to help out there.

anywho, I did purchase the wear and tear insurance and I'm very confused. The dealer and BMW Canada are giving me different answers. I've done a search and read the terms of the insurance but I am still not clear.

- curb rash on my wheels

- cracked windsheild

Now, do I just wait for my inspection and wait to find out what the damages are? and find out how much my insurance covers?

OR

Should I just start repairing some things and see what the inspection report reveals. The thing is I am not getting a clear answer on what the wear and tear covers (I know its 7500 max, but the limits on damages arent very specific.) I got the package in the mail to measure the tread depths, cracks and so forth - but it doesn't seem to mention that the wear and tear coverage could help pay for these. I believe the package is for what's acceptable before any insurance is applied.

So yes as you can tell I am confused. If anyone can share their experiences with the lease inspection and wear and tear insurance experience, it would greatly be appreciated

Thanks a bunch!
      04-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
BavFan_08
Dreamer
Canada
Rep

Hey thanks for the reply. I don't disagree with you but the wear and tear insurance is on excess wear and tear..so the question is what exactly is considered excess?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #12
BavFan_08
Dreamer
Canada
Rep

Well my Wear and Tear insurance COVERED ALL OF THE DAMAGES I TALKED ABOUT BELOW.

Got a letter back from BMW Canada, and I ended up owing nothing.

So the Wear and Tear coverage really paid for itself.

Thanks for everyone's help over the years, as I am sad to report my Bimmer days are officially over!

take care and all the best fellow E90 post members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavFan_08 View Post

- curb rash on my wheels

- cracked windsheild

OR

Thanks a bunch!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #13
MrPig
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 STI, '90 325iS

Garage List
1990 BMW 325is  [10.00]
That's good to know, that they covered everything. I already have a scratched chin (curse those high speed bumps) and a small chip (can't even see it) next to the driver side fog light. I don't plan on replacing the RFTs (unless they bubble) before my lease ends so it's nice to know I'm covered.
      06-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #14
BavFan_08
Dreamer
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPig View Post
That's good to know, that they covered everything. I already have a scratched chin (curse those high speed bumps) and a small chip (can't even see it) next to the driver side fog light. I don't plan on replacing the RFTs (unless they bubble) before my lease ends so it's nice to know I'm covered.
Yep - wait until your inspection before investing in anything.

the inspection report will clearly highlight what the damages are.

If you have the wear and tear insurance, after your inspection, call BMW Canada and go over the report.

They will tell you what's covered and what is not.

That is the process I went through and it just so happened I ended up owing nothing.

If you have any questions, I will still kick around the forums here and there...but I have been away as of late due to personal reasons.

take care
Appreciate 0