E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Vibration when turning at low speed?

09-23-2009, 10:33 PM   #67
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Thats really bad, not only lie, but lie on top of you paying for something, that seems like plain theft.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 10:37 PM   #68
npinibir2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
Thats really bad, not only lie, but lie on top of you paying for something, that seems like plain theft.
well, I actually didn't pay for it to get it fixed. The door trim panel is included with the car when I bought the car. So, technically, I paid for the part. that's beside the point, they documented that they did install the door trim panel when they didn't. 1 missing might be an accident, but all 4 of them?

The thing that's really frustrating is, they didn't fix the problem. They eliminated the whole thing completely. Does that mean, they don't really have a fix for it?

There is a reason why there is a door trim panel installed.

here are a couple of pics. 1 front 1 rear
Attached Images

Last edited by npinibir2; 09-24-2009 at 01:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 02:15 AM   #69
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

how did this turn into a post about windows... isnt there a thread on this anyways

E90 330i - E90 335i - E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 08:53 AM   #70
npinibir2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
[QUOTE=lonestar22;5918186]how did this turn into a post about windows... isnt there a thread on this anyways[/QUOTE

it's because it is one of the other known problem with my car. same car that is having the vibration problem, the ac problem and lifters problem and who knows what else. anyway, this thread will be back to discussing the vibrations.

I will also post this in the windows thread.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #71
lcs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i LCI

wtf...complain to BMW NA. Thats completely unacceptable. Why the hell would they just take it off and not put another one back on.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #72
npinibir2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcs View Post
wtf...complain to BMW NA. Thats completely unacceptable. Why the hell would they just take it off and not put another one back on.
I will talk to the branch manager first. Then BMW NA I am now looking to have them replace the car as I've had nothing but problem with the car.

problems with PS, AC, window trim pannel and lifters. I bought this car brand spankin new, paid premium price only to get this kind of problem and be fooled by the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #73
Trento
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Ok - I had my car into BMW this week - and had the head mechanic join me for a test drive.

The vibration was there - and he could replicate it while driving. The very strange thing is I had mentioned the "air conditioning" had been mentioned on this website as a possible cause.

When we had the ac on the vibration happened - when we turned the ac off - the vibration was either lessened or did not occur.

He had some ideas - but decided to reopen the case with tech support at BMW.

He emailed me yesterday and said Germany has received many reports of this issue.

His words:

"Do not preform any repairs at this time, a measure will be released as soon as the solution is available"

I take this as "good news" - finally BMW is seeing a trend and will be addressing this issue in some sort of technical fix for all cars with this issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 08:52 PM   #74
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trento View Post
Ok - I had my car into BMW this week - and had the head mechanic join me for a test drive.

The vibration was there - and he could replicate it while driving. The very strange thing is I had mentioned the "air conditioning" had been mentioned on this website as a possible cause.

When we had the ac on the vibration happened - when we turned the ac off - the vibration was either lessened or did not occur.

He had some ideas - but decided to reopen the case with tech support at BMW.

He emailed me yesterday and said Germany has received many reports of this issue.

His words:

"Do not preform any repairs at this time, a measure will be released as soon as the solution is available"

I take this as "good news" - finally BMW is seeing a trend and will be addressing this issue in some sort of technical fix for all cars with this issue.
This is great news, but sadly will not help me. My warranty is up in about 4000 miles and I doubt the resolution will be had in the couple of months until those miles are gone.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #75
npinibir2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
This is great news, but sadly will not help me. My warranty is up in about 4000 miles and I doubt the resolution will be had in the couple of months until those miles are gone.
If they do a recall to fix this issue, warranty or not, your car should be included. If your car falls within the same model and year, you should be covered. Just my 2cents.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #76
npinibir2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Finally got the car back yesterday. All issues but one is resolved. Unfortunately, it is the original issue that still exist, the vibration and droning from the steering wheel. They replaced the PS unit and increased the idle to 750rpm. I thought it was actually fixed when I tried to duplicate the problem at the dealership. Until I got home and tested it again, it was not better at all.

I got a 2010 328i loaner and that car is also showing the same symptom with the vibration and droning, not as bad yet but I'll bet that it will only get worse. Oh, also the window scratching.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #77
max_asdf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90

i have this on my xi as well. one SA had told me its normal for the XI's to have it? as the axles are adjusting, which i think is incorrect. the loaner they gave me the prev time i took in, to get serviced didnt have my problem.

this vibration at low speeds happens almost everytime i try to back-in to a spot. sometimes when i make low speed turns in the parking lots. but reversing into a spot, gaurantees i get a rumble and vibration with noise.

have an appt with the dealers to take a look at this issue in the next week. will report back.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 03:18 PM   #78
npinibir2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
After keeping my car for almost a week, making more adjustments to correct the issue, well, not corrected at all, in fact, no improvement. They told me that they tested multiple 328's and said that it happens to be normal because of the engine and they said that it is the "characteristic" of the car. Whaaaaaaaaaat? The problem with the car I think is, the power steering unit is pulling so much power from the engine(about 150rpm drop) when turning the steering wheel. At least that is what I found when I decided to troubleshoot it myself. I gave it a little gas to about 900rpm and turned the steering wheel and the rpm dropped to 750.

I am done with this car and ready to get rid of it. Also consulted with the lawyer to lemon the car and how about that, I do have a case and the lawyer already sent BMW a letter regarding my case. No out of pocket money for me win or lose.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #79
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Problem SOLVED (at least for me) !!!

Since winter is coming, I changed the tires from the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT summer tires to Goodyear Eagle GW3 RFT winter tires (using the same 17" rims) and the car shaking when turning when standstill or at very low speed is completely gone !

I suspected the tires from the beginning.

I have several theories:

1. The steering "mechanism" shakes when there is not enough power to turn the wheels at idle. When using lower grip tires there is enough power to turn them and car is not shaking.

2. I had some loose lug nuts on one wheel. But the car was not shaking at speed, so I don't think this is possible.

3. The tire side geometry is different between these tires. On summer tires I noticed that when turning the wheel fully while the car was sitting still, the car raised the front by about 2cm. I will see if the winter tires do the same...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 01:06 AM   #80
npinibir2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
Problem SOLVED (at least for me) !!!

Since winter is coming, I changed the tires from the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT summer tires to Goodyear Eagle GW3 RFT winter tires (using the same 17" rims) and the car shaking when turning when standstill or at very low speed is completely gone !

I suspected the tires from the beginning.

I have several theories:

1. The steering "mechanism" shakes when there is not enough power to turn the wheels at idle. When using lower grip tires there is enough power to turn them and car is not shaking.

2. I had some loose lug nuts on one wheel. But the car was not shaking at speed, so I don't think this is possible.

3. The tire side geometry is different between these tires. On summer tires I noticed that when turning the wheel fully while the car was sitting still, the car raised the front by about 2cm. I will see if the winter tires do the same...
good if it worked for you. let us know if it comes back as I think switching the tires will make that much difference. I actually tried a bigger size wheels and i thought it was fixed. then it came back. oh well, I still have the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 04:40 AM   #81
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by npinibir2 View Post
good if it worked for you. let us know if it comes back as I think switching the tires will make that much difference. I actually tried a bigger size wheels and i thought it was fixed. then it came back. oh well, I still have the same issue.
6 days and it didn't come back...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #82
max_asdf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90

reporting back. they had a mechanic test the car with me, and he could feel it. first thing he tried was to turn on the AC which increases the idle rpms, but the shiver was still apparent. he could hear/feel it. after the drive he concluded the idle rpms was dropping too low therefore the shivers were coming from the engine through the steering, not from the power steering unit. the fix was to increase idle rpms.

so, ive had my idle rpms raised by the dealership to 700-750. i cant really tell, since it varies from time to time now. it use to be @ 600 exact. my major concern now is, why does my BMW have to idle 150rpm higher than. the mechanic had told me, cars with more power can have a lower idle RPM. he quoted 323/325/328's can have higher rpms of around 700-800... but didnt quote my 330.

it seems to have 'kind of' fixed the issue. I have still gotten the vibration a few times since i got the car back. BUT only while change from D to R and back into my parking spot it happens. or 3-point turns (which includes a gear shift). im wondering if the transmission is playing into any of this, and BMW doesnt want to say.

slow speed forward turns dont create the shiver anymore. ONLY happens when there is a gear change with the transmission there is a chance the shiver will appear.

not sure if this is a temporary solution or a real solution, but raising idle RPM's have definatly helped. i am getting this vibration a lot less.

now i hope when i change to winters, the rest of the times im getting vibrations will go away and hope my engine will hold up the increased RPM's.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 10:54 AM   #83
lcs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_asdf View Post
reporting back. they had a mechanic test the car with me, and he could feel it. first thing he tried was to turn on the AC which increases the idle rpms, but the shiver was still apparent. he could hear/feel it. after the drive he concluded the idle rpms was dropping too low therefore the shivers were coming from the engine through the steering, not from the power steering unit. the fix was to increase idle rpms.

so, ive had my idle rpms raised by the dealership to 700-750. i cant really tell, since it varies from time to time now. it use to be @ 600 exact. my major concern now is, why does my BMW have to idle 150rpm higher than. the mechanic had told me, cars with more power can have a lower idle RPM. he quoted 323/325/328's can have higher rpms of around 700-800... but didnt quote my 330.

it seems to have 'kind of' fixed the issue. I have still gotten the vibration a few times since i got the car back. BUT only while change from D to R and back into my parking spot it happens. or 3-point turns (which includes a gear shift). im wondering if the transmission is playing into any of this, and BMW doesnt want to say.

slow speed forward turns dont create the shiver anymore. ONLY happens when there is a gear change with the transmission there is a chance the shiver will appear.

not sure if this is a temporary solution or a real solution, but raising idle RPM's have definatly helped. i am getting this vibration a lot less.

now i hope when i change to winters, the rest of the times im getting vibrations will go away and hope my engine will hold up the increased RPM's.
Thats good to hear!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2009, 12:36 PM   #84
tolkino
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 BSM E92 328i xDrive

I have had the vibration in three different tires; snows, summers and stock RFTs.. so I assume the issue is not with tires, at least for me.. I wish to see the dealer to have a look at it, but im afraid they will either blame the aftermarket suspension (which would be BS, it started happening way before), or they will tell me they couldnt find a problem :/
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #85
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I just dropped it off today at the dealer, we will see what they say. Im not expecting any solution to the problem.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #86
npinibir2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
ok, my problem is solved. It cost me 4k over a year and a half but I got rid of the problem, the car. I am looking at either C300 or A4. Which is a better buy/car. hmmmm.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 11:46 PM   #87
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by npinibir2 View Post
ok, my problem is solved. It cost me 4k over a year and a half but I got rid of the problem, the car. I am looking at either C300 or A4. Which is a better buy/car. hmmmm.
Id love the look of the C any day. Get the AMG wheels package and its smoking hot. Ive thought long and hard on this.

As far as my update, NO resolution, their opinion is that my after market suspension is leading to this. Guess what, my AFTER MARKET suspension is MADE by BMW!! Its the Performance Kit. Both dampers and springs, sways as well. Oh well, just suck it up I guess. Even my loaner had the issue, it was a spritely 328i.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #88
npinibir2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Id love the look of the C any day. Get the AMG wheels package and its smoking hot. Ive thought long and hard on this.

As far as my update, NO resolution, their opinion is that my after market suspension is leading to this. Guess what, my AFTER MARKET suspension is MADE by BMW!! Its the Performance Kit. Both dampers and springs, sways as well. Oh well, just suck it up I guess. Even my loaner had the issue, it was a spritely 328i.
I test drove both the A4 and the C300 and yes, C300 it is for me. As soon as I get the check, I'm off to the MB dealership.

It is terrible that BMW doesn't acknowledge the problem with their car and blame it on something else. I had taken my 335 in because it was leaking oil and they said that it was a spill from the last oil change. They also put a dye in just in case there really is a leak. A week later, it is leaking oil again. WTF. I took it back in and I told the manager I want them to raise it up and look for the leak and I wanted to see it myself. The manager took me back to check it out and he told me that it was bone dry and asked me "are you sure this is the car that is leaking oil?". again, WTF. I spotted the oil leak and it was coming from the tranny. their response, "You're not crazy after all". wow is all I gotta say, it took a customer to troubleshoot the freaking problem. gonna setup an appointment to have it fixed and from this point forward, I am going back there to make sure the job is done. I've lost all my patience with them.

I still love my 335 though.
Appreciate 0