E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Car Has Arrived

12-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #1
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Car Has Arrived

I shipped my car to the USA on the 23rd of October all nice and clean and waxed. It arrived in Baltimore, Maryland (USA) on the 20th of November and my brother picked it up just this past Tuesday (took them ten days to notify him it arrived). He looked it over before leaving and reported to me that there are scratches on the bonnet, the doors, and the bootlid. He said it appears as if the car had been washed with a dirty cloth. I'd had the car detailed the day before I took it to be shipped and I know those marks weren't on there. Port claims I have to go through my insurance for any compensation. As much as it is irritating it's probably too much of a I'll just take the car to someone for a complete detail in the Spring.

Other than these irritating developments the car is in good condition and in good hands. I was worried the weather would be bad when my brother picked up the car because the tires are still my summer performance ones. So, what does the weather do that week? It dumps five inches of snow. Tuesday the temperature was 42ºF.

Anyone in the Washington, DC area seeing a Montego Bleu 335i with British plates, that's mine. Give the driver a thumbs up for me. Come to think of it, you'd better not be seeing that car on the highway very often.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
I think we need pics of a UK car on US soil bearing UK plates!

Glad to hear it arrived in one piece.
      12-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post

This.

Would be pretty cool. Then again I saw an E46 M3 in a staff car park bearing US Texas plates...wtf?!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKkBaSs View Post

Then again I saw an E46 M3 in a staff car park bearing US Texas plates...wtf?!
Probably just been imported into the UK - a mate imported a Dodge Ram into the UK and ran around on Texas plates for a month or so. No bother from the feds.
      12-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post

I think you're expecting a right-hand drive, Dave. My car is a US spec with UK registration. But I'll see what I can do. I just wish I could be the one driving it over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiKkBaSs View Post
This.

Would be pretty cool. Then again I saw an E46 M3 in a staff car park bearing US Texas plates...wtf?!
When I first got here I had a Nissan with Virginia plates - still got the plate, too, as it was a private plate. Back then I was limited to where I could drive before I got the UK registration. I could drive it to work in order to get the paperwork, drive it to a garage to get the MOT, and drive it to the DVLA in Leeds. I think I had a week in which to do this. Nowadays that restriction has either been rescinded or is not enforced 'cause I see the same cars with US plates for weeks on end.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Pleased your car has made it across the pond OK Floyd

One thing I have never understood, would it not have been cheaper to just buy and then sell a RHD UK spec car over here, and then buy a US spec one over there? I would have thought the shipping costs would cost more than the loss?

Just curious thats all, lol!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
Pleased your car has made it across the pond OK Floyd

One thing I have never understood, would it not have been cheaper to just buy and then sell a RHD UK spec car over here, and then buy a US spec one over there? I would have thought the shipping costs would cost more than the loss?

Just curious thats all, lol!
My intention when I bought it last fall (2008) was to ship it last March and catch up with it in April. Job market didn't let this happen and I couldn't run that fast anyway. I opted for the 12-month UK registration which precluded me having to have it SVA'd at a cost of about £1500 even though I ended up doing about 3/4 of the required conversions anyway. Shipping costs were included in the price of the car and all I had to pay was the port fees in Maryland ($235). I got a substantial discount on the car, too. It's worked out a bit better, too, since I have now owned the car for 12 months I won't have to pay sales tax in the states when I eventually register it -- depending upon in which state I end up next year.

Last edited by SoYank; 12-12-2009 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2009, 01:23 AM   #8
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
I think you're expecting a right-hand drive, Dave. My car is a US spec with UK registration. But I'll see what I can do. I just wish I could be the one driving it over there.
Ahhhhhhh I see now thanks!
      12-13-2009, 04:03 AM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Floyd, great to hear the 335 got there in one piece. (apart from scratches). It's had one hell of an adventure that car mate. (not just this one, but In total). See you next week mate.
      12-13-2009, 07:47 AM   #10
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Floyd, great to hear the 335 got there in one piece. (apart from scratches). It's had one hell of an adventure that car mate. (not just this one, but In total). See you next week mate.
Looking forward to it, Carl.
Appreciate 0