E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > SLK 55 AMG - Advice & Opinions Please

03-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #45
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
The sound will be worth the price tag

Passat for work, AMG for fun?
Thats what I am thinking, and hopefully with some sunny weather I can have the roof off, then again who needs sunny weather with air scarf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
Looks like a lot of fun.
I hope so, 2.0d engines are great when traveling mega miles but I now want more power

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
The sound is definitely scary...
Hope I dont wake the neighbours in the early hours
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #46
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Jon...you know what I think!

Seriously, after my trip t the AMG factory last week the 'ownership' experience is second to none. I've got a mate who works for Bentley in Crewe and even customers who have factory tours of Bentley don't see as much as I did of AMG! The engines really are hand built, from scratch, by 1 person...just awesome!

Anyway, back to the SLK55 - the best looking roadster IMO (Vicki and I are going to look at an SLK 200K tomorrow to replace her Mini with as she's gone off the Scirocco now ) and the noise...well, I imagine just like mine (sorry...Amar's from tomorrow ) with no roof!!

Will you be able to handle the fuel consumption though...it'll give you sleepless nights!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 07:37 AM   #47
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Jon...you know what I think!

Seriously, after my trip t the AMG factory last week the 'ownership' experience is second to none. I've got a mate who works for Bentley in Crewe and even customers who have factory tours of Bentley don't see as much as I did of AMG! The engines really are hand built, from scratch, by 1 person...just awesome!

Anyway, back to the SLK55 - the best looking roadster IMO (Vicki and I are going to look at an SLK 200K tomorrow to replace her Mini with as she's gone off the Scirocco now ) and the noise...well, I imagine just like mine (sorry...Amar's from tomorrow ) with no roof!!

Will you be able to handle the fuel consumption though...it'll give you sleepless nights!
Mate I took it for a test drive and managed 15mpg, after getting used to 50 mpg in the BMW I am going through a period of rehabilitation.

It was quick but very civilized. I then realized that I was in auto mode and not sport mode. Will the sport mode make much difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #48
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Mate I took it for a test drive and managed 15mpg, after getting used to 50 mpg in the BMW I am going through a period of rehabilitation.

It was quick but very civilized. I then realized that I was in auto mode and not sport mode. Will the sport mode make much difference.

Erm....sport does make a noticeable difference in the C63 to gearchange speed and throttle response so I imagine it would also make a difference in the SLK...but it will still seem very smooth. Don't forget Jon, you're going from a turbo (which will have had a degree of lag) with a smallish power band to a big V8 which will just have power all the time without a sudden rush.

I bet it still got up to speed quickly even if you didn't notice it!!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #49
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Don't forget Jon, you're going from a turbo (which will have had a degree of lag) with a smallish power band to a big V8 which will just have power all the time without a sudden rush.

I bet it still got up to speed quickly even if you didn't notice it!!
Well put Andrew. That's exactly the difference I noticed between the Porsche Turbo and the R8 V10. The Porsche gave you a kick up the arse and the R8 V10 was a shove in the back and much more linear power delivery across the rev range. The speeds attained within the same distance were virtually identical. Ultimately just a different style of power delivery.

Suppose you could argue there's less to go wrong with a N/A engine but as always depends on the price you're paying for the quality of engineering with a turbo engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #50
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

So have you actually bought it then?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #51
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So have you actually bought it then?
Yes, sold the BMW for a very good price. Collect the Tony & Guy mobile on Friday, just when the weather changes

Will spend all Saturday giving it a full machine polish and detail.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #52
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Yes, sold the BMW for a very good price. Collect the Tony & Guy mobile on Friday, just when the weather changes

Will spend all Saturday giving it a full machine polish and detail.
Wow nice one. Get yourself booked in for a spray tan whilst you are at it
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2010, 01:22 PM   #53
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Wow nice one. Get yourself booked in for a spray tan whilst you are at it
And the highlights for my hair, what's left of it