E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Another BMS Powerbox review

10-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
sibhusky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Another BMS Powerbox review

Ive seen already a few on the forums but thought id pass my feedback. I got mine recently from JGMODS whom is a site sponser.

The install is not too bad but found that working with the factory connectors can be tricky. Anyways it took me about 1.5 hours to do this. It went well and i found the only thing lackluster is how the new pins attach to the old ones as the pins are really designed to be utilized in a male female connector housing. Perhaps BMS can source these connectors from Digikey or an electronics retailer as the automotive environment is pretty rough. Someone else recommended using heatshrink tubing which is in my opinion the way to go as you can retain the pins if you ever need to revert back. Soldering is another option but then your cutting wire. I ended up using electric tape and wire tied everything down to prevent the pins from sliding out. I used double sided tape to attach the BMS to the plastic ECU housing.

Having an engineering background, i opened the BMS and found a PIC microcontroller which is essentially being used to manipulate the throttle by wire circuit. Theres not much inside aside from the microcontroller and a few resistors mounted upon the PC board.

As to the difference, well i must say this is the most underrated 10hp ive ever felt. i remember from back in my younger days from working on a 5.0 mustang, id go through headers, heads and superchargers to get hp difference but this nifty device does make a significant difference without much hassle.

In my case i have a auto wagon. After starting it up, i immediately noticed i had no shift lag or hesitation and the car immediately responded to the gas pedal and pulled, it does feel more torquey up to 3k. The car also reved very easily up to 6k and made it feel like your in DS mode but i still get the gas mileage of being in D mode. I just went on a 300 mile highway trip and averaged 27mpg, so it doesnt look like the BMS had an adverse affect on mileage. Passing is so much easier as the car instantly finds a gear and revs to redline if you need it.

In know there are varying opinions, but its the best 279 you can spend and notice a difference with. Id pass on cold air, the intake and other mods and try this first before going with component changes.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
will bleich
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: pos

What exactly is this? A new tune or something like the sprint boodter

facebook will bleich
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
monkey_wrench
Caught the Bimmer-Bug
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
So even though you have an engineering background you're OK driving around in a costly BMW with ECU wiring electrical-taped together?

Doesn't add up...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
sibhusky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Yeah im ok driving around with what i have. If you read my post carefully youll see that i stated that i did a combination of electrical tape per the original directions and wire tied both the pins and connectors to prevent them from sliding out assuming the tape fails. I should mention that im using 3M industrial grade electrical tape.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
monkey_wrench
Caught the Bimmer-Bug
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post
Yeah im ok driving around with what i have. If you read my post carefully youll see that i stated that i did a combination of electrical tape per the original directions and wire tied both the pins and connectors to prevent them from sliding out assuming the tape fails. I should mention that im using 3M industrial grade electrical tape.
I did read your post carefully, and I did notice that.
But you of all people, with the engineering background, should know that the contacts were made to be in a connector. Period.

But if you're comfortable driving around like that, it's your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
will bleich
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
I did read your post carefully, and I did notice that.
But you of all people, with the engineering background, should know that the contacts were made to be in a connector. Period.

But if you're comfortable driving around like that, it's your car.
why is everyone on this forum a dickhead!!!!, what did you acomplish by calling him out for nigering something, we all do it sometimes, and sometimes you have to so leave him alone
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowandslow115 View Post
what did you acomplish by calling him out for nigering
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #8
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the block

Quote:
why is everyone on this forum a dickhead!!!!, what did you acomplish by calling him out for nigering something, we all do it sometimes, and sometimes you have to so leave him alone
I agree with you tho, there was no need for calling him out on anything. He was just simply giving us another review of the pbx. Great writeup.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
will bleich
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneout View Post
lol sorry its a term here in pennsylvania not a racial slur should have said rigging
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
rich123321
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E90

Garage List
2015 335i  [0.00]
Really thinking about getting one in the future thanks for this
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
monkey_wrench
Caught the Bimmer-Bug
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Damn son, what's the purpose of a forum when one can't vent his opinion anymore?

If you want an ego-stroking website get a fucking laptop and a webcam and look at yourself instead.

Plus, how was I being a dick? Guy says he's an engineer (or has an engineering background) but is perfectly happy with taping and zip tying ECU wiring together? You guys need to grow some thicker skin. Not everyone always agrees with you or likes what you do.
If he posts it on a public forum he should expect some opinions which he might not share.

But I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.

Last edited by monkey_wrench; 10-23-2012 at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #12
will bleich
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
Damn son, what's the purpose of a forum when one can't vent his opinion anymore?

If you want an ego-stroking website get a fucking laptop and a webcam and look at yourself instead.

Plus, how was I being a dick? Guy says he's an engineer (or has an engineering background) but is perfectly happy with taping and zip tying ECU wiring together? You guys need to grow some thicker skin. Not everyone always agrees with you or likes what you do.
If he posts it on a public forum he should expect some opinions which he might not share.

But I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.
keep your rude comments to yourself noone wants to hear them
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Think the dude is just mad Cuz he paid (or wants to pay) triple for the same hp Gains
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 10:56 PM   #14
manutdas11
EL JIMMY NEURON
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
Think the dude is just mad Cuz he paid (or wants to pay) triple for the same hp Gains
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 05:29 AM   #15
monkey_wrench
Caught the Bimmer-Bug
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #16
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

To the OP, thanks for the review but I think i'll still go the AA Tune Route.
      10-25-2012, 12:21 AM   #17
blingman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3er

I want to get AA tune but will wait until I can get the 3 stage manifold swap. I got the BMS and have no regret. Wish I got it since day one. I hated how the car drove stock and came to a point of almost selling it until I installed the BMS. Im not power hungry, but it drives so much better and more responsive with this and that's all I needed.
Appreciate 0