E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bilstein B12 Pro-Kit suspension and M3 subframe bushings installed - Review and Pics

01-30-2015, 11:12 PM   #67
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

Anyone use swift rspec springs on by?

Are the B8's adjustable for damping like koni yellows?

Last edited by parabmw; 02-01-2015 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #68
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabmw View Post
Anyone use swift rspec springs on by?

Are the B8's adjustable for damping like koni yellows?
I think there three E82's with Bilsteins and Swifts.

And no, they are not adjustable. Both B6 and B8 dampers.
      01-20-2016, 03:22 PM   #69
Bideul
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive

Anyone with a B12 Prokit installed on a 335i xdrive can measure the distance between the center of the center cap and the fender ?

It's more reliable than a measure from the ground to the fender ... tyre dimensions, tyre pressure ...

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Bideul; 01-22-2016 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 04:48 PM   #70
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe 6MT N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I think there three E82's with Bilsteins and Swifts.

And no, they are not adjustable. Both B6 and B8 dampers.
They actually make a Bilstein B6 adjustable rebound shock for our cars. Its available in Europe and to get them you have to order them from Turner Motorsports . Com. They have the shocks shipped over to them, then ship to yhe customer.

Now B6 is for stock height springs. So oem sport springs & M-sport springs

The B8 sport shocks are shorter overall, and are designed for "springs that will lower the car over an 1" lower than stock sport package ride height.

Now idk why the knob adjustable B6 shocks are primarily marketed and sold in europe and other countries.

I also dont know why they didnt make an easily knob adjustable rebound B8 sport shock! Makes no sense to me. I guess they figure at that point you're ready for a coilover? IDKKK

All the Bilsteins shocks/struts are considered to be of very high quality.
The B12 kit(B8 struts/shocks w/Eibach Pro-Kit springs) is very well known now to dramatically improve handling over stock sport suspension, lower the car slightly, just enough to eliminate the wheel gal, and actually have a BETTER ride quality than stock.

As for me, im really really torn between the:
1) Koni yellow's and i guess H&R springs or Eibach springs
2) Bilstein B12 kit or B12 kit but with different springs (if better are to be found from others)

I like the fact that the koni yellow's are rebound adjustable, the only problem is that the rears need to be removed to adjust the rebound so that kind of deafeats the purpose of that. I know Dinan makes a custom koni yellow with knob adjustable rear shocks that you can adjust the rebound from inside the trunk on top of the shock tower. But theyre like $300 each or something ridiculous. Theyre claimed to be of custom valving to Dinan specs, but thats been debated and is believed to be not true.

Hmmm, decisions, decisions.....

Side note: the Bilstein B4 shocks are an aftermarket, direct oem replacement, for regular non-sport E90's. They have a great ride quality and will improve handling and no cost to ride quality.

Anthony
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2016, 06:51 PM   #71
joshe92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
Yes.
Hey where did you buy the B12 kit?

I love the drop!

These are a set of eibach springs with bilstein shocks, correct?

How does this compare to coils? What will last longer for the car?

I have an xDrive E92. Thank you!

Retired: E92 335i MSport Sapphire black: // aFe intake // Remus quad // AR Downpipe, Secondary cat delete // MHD // BMW PPK // Alpina B3 Flash // Vrsf 5" Stepped IC & CP
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 08:42 AM   #72
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90 View Post
They actually make a Bilstein B6 adjustable rebound shock for our cars. Its available in Europe and to get them you have to order them from Turner Motorsports . Com. They have the shocks shipped over to them, then ship to yhe customer.

The B8 sport shocks are shorter overall, and are designed for "springs that will lower the car over an 1" lower than stock sport package ride height.

Now idk why the knob adjustable B6 shocks are primarily marketed and sold in europe and other countries.

I also dont know why they didnt make an easily knob adjustable rebound B8 sport shock! Makes no sense to me. I guess they figure at that point you're ready for a coilover? IDKKK

The B12 kit(B8 struts/shocks w/Eibach Pro-Kit springs) is very well known now to dramatically improve handling over stock sport suspension, lower the car slightly, just enough to eliminate the wheel gal, and actually have a BETTER ride quality than stock.

2) Bilstein B12 kit or B12 kit but with different springs (if better are to be found from others)

I like the fact that the koni yellow's are rebound adjustable, the only problem is that the rears need to be removed to adjust the rebound so that kind of deafeats the purpose of that. I know Dinan makes a custom koni yellow with knob adjustable rear shocks that you can adjust the rebound from inside the trunk on top of the shock tower. But theyre like $300 each or something ridiculous. Theyre claimed to be of custom valving to Dinan specs, but thats been debated and is believed to be not true.

Side note: the Bilstein B4 shocks are an aftermarket, direct oem replacement, for regular non-sport E90's. They have a great ride quality and will improve handling and no cost to ride quality.

Anthony
Yep, you're right. They make adjustable B6's indeed, I just forget things. I didn't really look into them and went with the B12 kit for our M Sport E91. I'd give you feedback, but even after three months I still have not ordered all the replacement parts, lol. Hopefully next week!

Koni Yellow + BMW Performance springs is apparently a stellar combo. I know a guy (E91 xi) with Yellows and H&R springs and he's loving them, too.
      02-04-2016, 08:46 AM   #73
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshe92 View Post
Hey where did you buy the B12 kit?

I love the drop!

These are a set of eibach springs with bilstein shocks, correct?

How does this compare to coils? What will last longer for the car?

I have an xDrive E92. Thank you!
Yes, Bilstein B8 & Eibach Pro-Kit.

There is no B12 kit for xDrive E92's. Do your research; there's plenty of info around here.
      02-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #74
Vut
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91 LCI 328 xi

Any feedback on what it's like when the car is fully loaded with 4 adults and/or a full trunk? (i.e. does it bottom out over bumps?)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #75
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon
Quote:

Anthony
Yep, you're right. They make adjustable B6's indeed, I just forget things. I didn't really look into them and went with the B12 kit for our M Sport E91. I'd give you feedback, but even after three months I still have not ordered all the replacement parts, lol. Hopefully next week!

Koni Yellow + BMW Performance springs is apparently a stellar combo. I know a guy (E91 xi) with Yellows and H&R springs and he's loving them, too.

Get that kit installed! I wait for reviews, oh and also someone posted below. See how it is with the car fully loaded up 4 full size adults and some cargo and see how it handle the weight.

Make sure to at least order new front strut mounts, rear upper shock mounts(dinan makes a poly version which you gain some travel with), rear shock lower mounts. Its all rubber wearable parts and if your stock suspension is worn out im sure they're all worn out as well. No point of installing new struts on strut mounts that are shot!

Ahh now you're making it harder for me. I was saying to myself. Im sure the Bilsteins are set nicely right out of the box eliminating the need for adjustable rebound. I was going to go with the B12 kit when it came time(few months).

Theyre not coilovers i know that fully going into this. I cant expect coilover level adjustability.

But i also dont want the car to be a stiff track car just yet

But now you got me thinking. I can go with the koni yellows. Have the small rebound adjustment window to make it how i like it. And also try different springs until I find the combo I want. Like as you said koni+H&R or koni+bmw ps yellow springs ( which i never thought of).

Right now im doing some other things first. Beefing up the stock brakes as much as i can, they will be fine for me, for now. Brass guide pins, ate blue brake fluid, cool carbon pads, rotors are basically new and are oem which i found to be pretty good quality for a single piece steel rotor. Also ss brake lines soon.

All new shifter bushings to get rid of the little slop i have from the bad design. Going from Oem rubber to ecs teflon bushings. UUC DSSR for a solid link between shifter and trans.

Im good on power right now. I have DP's, MHD stage 1(still no fmic). Its fast. I need to upgrade my tires and all the rear bushings alrdy at this power level. So theres that too. Ahh never ends!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #76
Bideul
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive

No one with an E90 xdrive and B12 pro-kit for the height of the car ?
Tx
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 06:06 PM   #77
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

Xdrive should theoretically be the same height within a few mm's as the rwd version. Its really depends on the eibach spring rates.

They had to of stiffened the front springs a little to compensate for the extra weight of the front drive system of the awd system. How much they stiffened idk. So that would determine the drop. Someone on the forums has gotttt to have an xdrive 335 with B8's struts/shocks and Eibach pro-kit springs (B12 pro Kit components).

Maybe do a google search? I have RWD so i really cant help too much, but i do know that AWD front strut is cut down to accommodate the different front spindle with axles and you lose 1" of suspension travel on any setup including oem.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2016, 08:05 PM   #78
Joey911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i MT w/ M Sport

I too find my M sport suspension on my nearly 50,000 miles E92 very

The longer I drive on highway, the more uneven road surfaces I drive on, the harder I drive, the worse it feels.

The suspension acts so dramatically over small speed bumps, wheels almost feel like off the ground for a second, even going through it slowly.

Needless to say on highway, it's like floating, bouncy bounce bounce.

When I drive hard (like a dbag going left and right), it feels like the car is throwing itself around, in a super dramatic way! Accelerate and letting go throttle, the car literally dip itself to the front, not even braking yet!! On the back roads on the other hand (still driving very hard), doesn't feel as bad as all other situations... Only problem is it doesn't say flat at all.

According to my research (not 100% accurate) that the B12 Pro-kit is same or even better than the BMW Performance Suspension kit. I will probably end up getting this in the spring as well. Now the question is which set of sway bars?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #79
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Get that kit installed! I wait for reviews, oh and also someone posted below. See how it is with the car fully loaded up 4 full size adults and some cargo and see how it handle the weight.

Make sure to at least order new front strut mounts, rear upper shock mounts(dinan makes a poly version which you gain some travel with), rear shock lower mounts. Its all rubber wearable parts and if your stock suspension is worn out im sure they're all worn out as well. No point of installing new struts on strut mounts that are shot!

Ahh now you're making it harder for me. I was saying to myself. Im sure the Bilsteins are set nicely right out of the box eliminating the need for adjustable rebound. I was going to go with the B12 kit when it came time(few months).

Theyre not coilovers i know that fully going into this. I cant expect coilover level adjustability.

But i also dont want the car to be a stiff track car just yet

But now you got me thinking. I can go with the koni yellows. Have the small rebound adjustment window to make it how i like it. And also try different springs until I find the combo I want. Like as you said koni+H&R or koni+bmw ps yellow springs ( which i never thought of).

Right now im doing some other things first. Beefing up the stock brakes as much as i can, they will be fine for me, for now. Brass guide pins, ate blue brake fluid, cool carbon pads, rotors are basically new and are oem which i found to be pretty good quality for a single piece steel rotor. Also ss brake lines soon.

All new shifter bushings to get rid of the little slop i have from the bad design. Going from Oem rubber to ecs teflon bushings. UUC DSSR for a solid link between shifter and trans.

Im good on power right now. I have DP's, MHD stage 1(still no fmic). Its fast. I need to upgrade my tires and all the rear bushings alrdy at this power level. So theres that too. Ahh never ends!
I'm ordering parts as we speak. Should be here next week.

I've got KW V2 on the 135i and everything else stock... They have helped immensely, but sometimes I feel it's still kinda sloppy. Can't really explain it. Let's hope the M3 subframe bushings will make a difference so big that I won't have to buy more parts.

I don't really know how guys can run 400hp on a otherwise stock E82. It must be twitchy as hell. For me, it's always in this order: 1) driver mod, 2) tires, 3) suspension, 4) power... which I am not gonna fiddle with. It's perfect as is.
      02-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #80
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey911

The longer I drive on highway, the more uneven road surfaces I drive on, the harder I drive, the worse it feels.

The suspension acts so dramatically over small speed bumps, wheels almost feel like off the ground for a second, even going through it slowly.

When I drive hard (like a dbag going left and right), it feels like the car is throwing itself around, in a super dramatic way! Accelerate and letting go throttle, the car literally dip itself to the front, not even braking yet!! On the back roads on the other hand (still driving very hard), doesn't feel as bad as all other situations... Only problem is it doesn't say flat at all.

According to my research (not 100% accurate) that the B12 Pro-kit is same or even better than the BMW Performance Suspension kit. I will probably end up getting this in the spring as well. Now the question is which set of sway bars?
You will enjoy the Bilstein B12 pro-kit, it will literally help the car dramatically in all the weakness areas you and so many other e90 drivers complain about.

Just to give you a better input on sway bars. What is you cars current spec. Year, model, RWD or AWD, sport or non-sport?

For RWD 335i's with sport package, i recommend:

Bilstein B12 pro-kit (or equivalent if preferred). Upgrades the crappy stock sport dampers. Stiffens and lowers car for better cornering and lower center of gravity reduces body roll..

For the front:
-New OEM sport strut mounts for the new struts
-M3 front control arms (stiffer bushings and dramatic increase in turn-in response
-E90/E92 M3 front sway bar (need M3 sway bar bushings and M3 bushing brackets, and new end-links). Keeps car flatter on turns and quick transitions. Also a big upgrade.

For the rear:
-Dinan poly upper rear shock mounts & new rear lower shock mounts for new shocks
-Solid rear subframe bushings or M3 if keeping it more conservative/ M3 clone. If looking for simple install, poly inserts work very well.
-M3 differential bushings. Do not run solid or stiff poly diff bushings, with solid subframe bushings, if your not willing to compromise in the NVH department.
-Now as far the rear sway bar, i would leave it stock unless you have a LSD installed or plan on installing one. Because an M3 or aftermarket sway bar will be stiffer and will not allow the tires to make contact with the road as evenly, and with an open diff you're actually going to decrease overall traction. If you still want to upgrade the rear sway bar, you could go with an E93 (convertible) non-M sport package rear sway-bar, it is slightly thicker than an E90/E92 sport package rear sway bar by a little bit.
-Also if your willing to spend the $ you can get the other stronger aluminum rear M3 arms and adjustable camber arm i believe made by a few companies, one i can think of right away is the the rear Megan Racing rear adjustable arms
-LSD!!!

This makes for a GREAT start for a very well handling RWD E90.

Of course, tires should be the first thing you do, they will make the biggest difference right off the bat and are often overlooked. Crappy tires on a 5k$ coil-over setup and a fully built suspension setup means nothing.
On the other hand, great tires can make a so-so suspension setup feel that much better.

Also lighter wheels to go with the new tires will make a noticeable difference to reduce unsprung weight and rotational mass.

A good option is to get a set of nice strong lightweight rims and good performance summer tires. Use those in spring in winter. Then put a set of good all seasons or even winter tires, depending on your area to use in the fall and winter weather. This will keep your new rims in better condition and keep your new expensive tires lasting a longer period of time.

For Xdrive vehicles, your options are a little more limited and you must plan out your setup a little more because none of the front M3 parts will fit on an AWD E90. You will need to upgrade the control arms with poly bushings, aftermarket adjustable sway bar, still get the AWD version of the Bilstein B12 pro-kit ( AWD Model B8 sport struts, B8 sport shocks, Eibach pro-kit lowering spring kit).

The rear of the Xdrive E90's is the same as the RWD, so subframe bushings, diff bushings, sway bars, and control arms will fit. I don't know how the E90 Xdrive models respond to stiffer front and rear sway bars bc i don't have an Xdrive I'm willing to upgrade and haven't researched it. So therefore I can't really input on that aspect.

Anthony
Appreciate 3
lab_rat394.50
      02-11-2016, 09:00 PM   #81
Joey911
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i MT w/ M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDBooSTIn90
Quote:

You will enjoy the Bilstein B12 pro-kit, it will literally help the car dramatically in all the weakness areas you and so many other e90 drivers complain about.

Just to give you a better input on sway bars. What is you cars current spec. Year, model, RWD or AWD, sport or non-sport?

Bilstein B12 pro-kit (or equivalent if preferred). Upgrades the crappy stock sport dampers. Stiffens and lowers car for better cornering and lower center of gravity reduces body roll..

For the front:
-M3 front control arms (stiffer bushings and dramatic increase in turn-in response
-E90/E92 M3 front sway bar (need M3 sway bar bushings and M3 bushing brackets, and new end-links). Keeps car flatter on turns and quick transitions. Also a big upgrade.

For the rear:
-Dinan poly upper rear shock mounts & new rear lower shock mounts for new shocks
-Solid rear subframe bushings or M3 if keeping it more conservative/ M3 clone. If looking for simple install, poly inserts work very well.
-M3 differential bushings. Do not run solid or stiff poly diff bushings, with solid subframe bushings, if your not willing to compromise in the NVH department.
-Now as far the rear sway bar, i would leave it stock unless you have a LSD installed or plan on installing one. Because an M3 or aftermarket sway bar will be stiffer and will not allow the tires to make contact with the road as evenly, and with an open diff you're actually going to decrease overall traction. If you still want to upgrade the rear sway bar, you could go with an E93 (convertible) non-M sport package rear sway-bar, it is slightly thicker than an E90/E92 sport package rear sway bar by a little bit.
-Also if your willing to spend the $ you can get the other stronger aluminum rear M3 arms and adjustable camber arm i believe made by a few companies, one i can think of right away is the the rear Megan Racing rear adjustable arms
-LSD!!!

Of course, tires should be the first thing you do, they will make the biggest difference right off the bat and are often overlooked. Crappy tires on a 5k$ coil-over setup and a fully built suspension setup means nothing.
On the other hand, great tires can make a so-so suspension setup feel that much better.

Also lighter wheels to go with the new tires will make a noticeable difference to reduce unsprung weight and rotational mass.

A good option is to get a set of nice strong lightweight rims and good performance summer tires. Use those in spring in winter. Then put a set of good all seasons or even winter tires, depending on your area to use in the fall and winter weather. This will keep your new rims in better condition and keep your new expensive tires lasting a longer period of time.

For Xdrive vehicles, your options are a little more limited and you must plan out your setup a little more because none of the front M3 parts will fit on an AWD E90. You will need to upgrade the control arms with poly bushings, aftermarket adjustable sway bar, still get the AWD version of the Bilstein B12 pro-kit ( AWD Model B8 sport struts, B8 sport shocks, Eibach pro-kit lowering spring kit).

The rear of the Xdrive E90's is the same as the RWD, so subframe bushings, diff bushings, sway bars, and control arms will fit. I don't know how the E90 Xdrive models respond to stiffer front and rear sway bars bc i don't have an Xdrive I'm willing to upgrade and haven't researched it. So therefore I can't really input on that aspect.

Anthony
Thank you for that!

I have 2011 E92 N55 335i M Sport RWD, wavetrac LSD, so I guess my choice will be M3 sway front and rear?

Lots of suspension part to refresh/upgrade
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 09:53 PM   #82
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey911 View Post
Thank you for that!

I have 2011 E92 N55 335i M Sport RWD, wavetrac LSD, so I guess my choice will be M3 sway front and rear?

Since you already have a LSD, a good one at that, i would recommend E90/E92 M3 front and rear sway bar. The LSD will take care of the less flexible rear suspension, which unloads the weight off the inside tire and causes the stock open diff to just spin the tire.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 01:08 AM   #83
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

Quote:

For the front:

For the rear:
-LSD!!!

Anthony
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2016, 12:09 AM   #84
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey911 View Post
Thank you for that!

How did the car feel and change after you got the wavetrac LSD put in? Big difference in grip? Extremely noticeable? Somewhat noticeable? Only noticeable when driving hard?

Im just kind of curious, because you dont see many posts, about how the feeling of the car changed after going from stock open-diff to LSD on these cars. But without changing a million other things at the same time.

Im more interested on how a lightly modded 335i would feel with just a LSD swapped in, as if it came from the factory with it. Which it should of absolutely have or at least been included in the sport package!!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #85
bytheway5
Rep
Drives: Car

I have been running the B12 pro-kit kit on a 2007 e90 for 3 months now. I haven't experienced the rave reviews that I have read. The car is much stiffer then the stock sport suspension and when I hit little bumps it feels like it hits the bump stops. Has anyone had this issue, anyone cut down the bumps stops or do anything else to try to fix this issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 02:57 PM   #86
AWDBooSTIn90
Nomore
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytheway5
I have been running the B12 pro-kit kit on a 2007 e90 for 3 months now. I haven't experienced the rave reviews that I have read. The car is much stiffer then the stock sport suspension and when I hit little bumps it feels like it hits the bump stops. Has anyone had this issue, anyone cut down the bumps stops or do anything else to try to fix this issue?
From what I understand you're not supposed to use external bump stops...

I could of sworn, because of the design the bump stop is inside the shock.

I've also heard that the Bilstein B8 shocks take over a month to break in! People have reported them being super super stiff and then breaking in after awhile and becoming a good balance between stiffness and comfort.

Research the bump stop issue though, im not positive about that.

Also did you get the correct setup for your car? Theres a different part# for each engine groups. Like one for 335i, a different # for 325/328/330i, and a different # for 335d, and i believe a different part # for convertibles.

That's because of the different engine weights and different rear load weights.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 03:02 PM   #87
jwong77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Garage List
Mine has taken a few weeks to break in. As for the bumpstop, I've seen some people on youtube take the internal bump stop out to trim, but besides that I haven't run into much.

Just fyi, the bumpstop is external on the rears for our cars.
      03-14-2016, 06:03 PM   #88
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwong77 View Post
Just fyi, the bumpstop is external on the rears for our cars.
You had me scared for a moment, but then I realised the rears come with their own bump stops.

Replacement BMW parts are here, car's still in service.