E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Posted in wheels forum/got no help.. anyone here?

11-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
e9012345
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Posted in wheels forum/got no help.. anyone here?

I just did my first swap over to winters by hand today. I was doing it over at my parents house and everything went smooth except for the fact that I left my adapter at my condo with my tools. So I used a leveraged bar from my jack on my lug wrench and really tightened the lugs.

On the way home my TPMS lights came on which once I reset, went away (tends to do this when I swap to my winters/summers from 17/18's). No problems there. All pressures were fine.

However, when I got home and set my torque wrench to 88lb/ft I could not get the thing to click and the lug nuts seemed REALLY tight enough to that I was moving the car around considerably.

So my question is:

Does the torque wrench (Mastercraft Maximum 1/2 drive) not click if I have over tightened the lugs by hand? So if I accidentally torqued them to 95 lb/ft by hand and I set my lug wrench to 88 and give it hell, will it not click?

I will be loosening all my bolts tomorrow and torquing them from "not-so tight" to see if this helps.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
6MT Sport Pkg | BMW Perf. Pedals | BMW Perf. SSK | CF Steering Trim | BMW Performance Black Gloss Grilles | M3 Rep Bumper | Muffler Delete 2.5"| Charcoal Delete + K&N Drop In | CDV Delete | Clutch Stop | Active Autowerke Stage II Tune | H&R Sport Springs | Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts | 18" Gunmetal CSL Reps | BurgerTuning Spacers | Staggered Ventus V12's | ATE Super Blue & Hawk HPS | Blacklines | GP6K Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
KCX_335xi
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 | 2013 e70 X5

It clicks.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
It should click right away, but sometimes I've had it not click as well.

What I do then is set it to about 50 ft/lbs and try again and click it a couple times, then turn it upto 88 and try again.

The best thing for peace of mind would be to simply loosen and re-tighten though.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
project335i
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Wide Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
It should click right away, but sometimes I've had it not click as well.

What I do then is set it to about 50 ft/lbs and try again and click it a couple times, then turn it upto 88 and try again.

The best thing for peace of mind would be to simply loosen and re-tighten though.
There it is, exactly what you were looking for
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

I just bought a new one and mine doesn't click at all. At any setting :S
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
BigFoig
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishriv View Post
I just bought a new one and mine doesn't click at all. At any setting :S
Defective return and exchange it.

It clicks as long as the tension is met.

I won't click until it has met the tension or exceeded.

You can actually make it keep clicking if you over torque it.

To the OP your's is also defective so return it for another one.

Good thing about the mastercraft Maximum tools is that it carries a lifetime warranty so you won't need a receipt when you return it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
e9012345
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoig View Post
Defective return and exchange it.

It clicks as long as the tension is met.

I won't click until it has met the tension or exceeded.

You can actually make it keep clicking if you over torque it.

To the OP your's is also defective so return it for another one.

Good thing about the mastercraft Maximum tools is that it carries a lifetime warranty so you won't need a receipt when you return it.
Yes! So much this. I had overtightened my lug nuts to what I can only think was over 130 lb/ft+

I tried my torque wrench which was breaking the car loose before hearing a click. Returned and replaced it.. loosened ALL my lug nuts (WHICH WAS A PAIN IN THE ASS and nerve wracking to hear the occasional bang as the over-tightened lugs came undone) and sure enough tightened the lugs from about 40 lb/ft and heard consistent clicks at 88 lb/ft.

88 lb/fit was actually a lot less torque than I imagined. But the problem here was the faulty torque wrench. Thanks for all the help.

Abishriv.. replace yours because it is CERTAINLY defective.

Thanks everyone again. Now I have completed my first wheel swap, have properly torqued wheels and most of all a safe drive for my family.

Thanks!
6MT Sport Pkg | BMW Perf. Pedals | BMW Perf. SSK | CF Steering Trim | BMW Performance Black Gloss Grilles | M3 Rep Bumper | Muffler Delete 2.5"| Charcoal Delete + K&N Drop In | CDV Delete | Clutch Stop | Active Autowerke Stage II Tune | H&R Sport Springs | Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts | 18" Gunmetal CSL Reps | BurgerTuning Spacers | Staggered Ventus V12's | ATE Super Blue & Hawk HPS | Blacklines | GP6K Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0