E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Using flashlight plug as a USB port, stays on when the car is off normal?

06-08-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
tracerit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT

Using flashlight plug as a USB port, stays on when the car is off normal?

I bought a power adapter that converts the flashlight plug in the glovebox into a power adapter which I then use to plug in a USB car charger. Thing is that it seems this method even charges my phone when the car is off.

My USB car charger has a LED that lights up when it has power. I went down stairs 30 minutes later and it was still on but sometime between 30-45 minutes after the car was off, the light turned off.

Just wanted to know if it's going to drain my battery if I keep the USB car charger plugged in all the time. I mean when I drive i'm recharging the car's battery right? I figured 30-45 minutes to power a small LED on the USB car charger would not hurt much?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
carbidetech
postaholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Black Sapphire

Interesting...I wired a 12v DC charger port to the light in the glove box as it has power when the key (non-convenience) is out of the ignition in my '07 E90.
My concern was draining the battery as well but I did want power 24/7 if the car was on or not. It too shuts off after 35 minutes or so.
The computer will shut off any circuit it detects is left on by mistake. The only way to drain the battery is to wire something directly to the battery. I do NOT know this to be fact, only my observation from the experiments I have done.
I have installed myself, a factory Sirius module and now a TCU to have bluetooth. Still, just my guess at the computer shutting down power to prevent drain.
My 08 Malibu (yes that piece is gone) did the exact same thing but the owners manual did state that any light left on would be auto shut off after a period of time for the same reason. so.......
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
It might be on the user activated circuit that a few electronics in the car are on. I know our radios are on this circuit. I have an JL 500/1 that uses the REM lead in the factory HU and it goes off after about 30mins if the doors are not shut or opened.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
wareagle900
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

to op, to answer your question, an led will probably last about a million years on a car battery, so no, you will not drain your battery by powering a single led.
Appreciate 0