E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BEst INtake for DESERT HEAT~

03-11-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
SteanLV
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Liberty Walk M3

BEst INtake for DESERT HEAT~

HMMM anyone got any suggestion on what intakes might be best in the desert heat?
      03-11-2007, 07:47 PM   #2
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

I have felt from personal experience that the stock air box with a k&n or another drop in air filter works the best.

You dont have to worry about driving over a puddle or in the rain with it.
Ferrari 575 SA, 458 Italia
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
Coldintake
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walked U View Post
I have felt from personal experience that the stock air box with a k&n or another drop in air filter works the best.

You dont have to worry about driving over a puddle or in the rain with it.
That would be the case with a Coldintake, not so much with a Ram-style intake.
Furthermore, a coldintake will actually provide your car with hot air because being so close to the ground, the air temp right above the cement/asphalt will be higer than the air above.

To the OP, I have no idea what intakes are even out for the e90/e92
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
That would be the case with a Coldintake, not so much with a Ram-style intake.
Furthermore, a coldintake will actually provide your car with hot air because being so close to the ground, the air temp right above the cement/asphalt will be higer than the air above.

To the OP, I have no idea what intakes are even out for the e90/e92
i just find ram air intakes rediculous. even with a heat shield your intake is still sucking in hot air, at best warm air.

people have even seen a hp loss due to ram air intakes.

its cool if you want noise tho.

with the stock box at least you have circulating air getting ramed into the intake tubes near the kidney grills.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #5
Coldintake
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i just find ram air intakes rediculous. even with a heat shield your intake is still sucking in hot air, at best warm air.

people have even seen a hp loss due to ram air intakes.

its cool if you want noise tho.

with the stock box at least you have circulating air getting ramed into the intake tubes near the kidney grills.
I've been through 4 intakes on 2 different e46's, and beg to differ. Not to be rude, but have you had a ram intake on your/any BMW? The air is cooler inside the heat shield. Some intakes even have the heat shield built right around the filter, excluding the max amount of engine hot air.

A K&N barely does anything. If anything, maybe 1hp. And that's a big maybe. If you're certainly not going to mod your intake, then it is a better option than stock.

In either case, a coldintake is usually the better option. HOWEVER, in the OP's case, I don't think it'll help. The ground is radiating much more heat than the surrounding air.

People have seen a loss with almost every low end mod i.e. intake/exhaust/etc. Doesn't mean it's true or usually the case.

P.S. I had an ECIS intake on my previous 2001 330i(auto). The aux fan didn't come on after I installed the intake. Whereas would come on very often without it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
CASHBY
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335 "done up"

intake on 335 = no HP gain at all.... maybe on some N/A BMW's as long as its a true cold air intake and not a "short ram"

I dyno'd my A4 stock air box and aftermarket intake.... i made more power with my stock airbox.

as far as the 335...the stock air box is your best bet and an intake will do nothing but suck hot air in.

and yes i have had every intake that you can think of and have been doing this modding game for a long long time.

p.s this has been beatin to death and im sure a lot of people will back myself and walked u on this.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 11:38 AM   #7
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I generally agree but until someone tries it on a 335, its hard to say one way or another. I've had some cars (like my SRT4) that picked up nothing with an intake, and others (like my Corvettes) that picked up 15-20rwhp.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 11:43 AM   #8
widenlongtran
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2001 E39 M5

What you need is NOS spraying your intercooler! That would lower your charge intake temps and give you more power.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 11:48 AM   #9
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Burger View Post
I generally agree but until someone tries it on a 335, its hard to say one way or another. I've had some cars (like my SRT4) that picked up nothing with an intake, and others (like my Corvettes) that picked up 15-20rwhp.

yea most turbo cars are hard to get a true cold air intake...... n/a cars usualy will pick up a HP or more with a true cold air that hangs by the ground and not in the engine bay.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 11:49 AM   #10
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by widenlongtran View Post
What you need is NOS spraying your intercooler! That would lower your charge intake temps and give you more power.
always a great thing to do... a lot of guys spary their intercoolers inbetween runs and dyno runs as well to get the cooler intake temps and not as much heat soak.

I want to look into a intercool spray for our cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 12:03 PM   #11
Coldintake
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEA 3 View Post
intake on 335 = no HP gain at all.... maybe on some N/A BMW's as long as its a true cold air intake and not a "short ram"
Are there any intakes out for the 335?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #12
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

no... but im sure your going to reply back with .... "then how do you know"

just trust me when i say an intake on a 335 will do nothing... it might make the SWOOOSHHHH sound that everyone likes with a cone filter, but then it will suck all that hot air in. There is no room forn a true cold air intake on a 335...so it would have to be a "short ram" intake, which will make no power and suck hot air.

K&N drop in is your best bet to go with 335 if anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #13
Coldintake
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
no... but im sure your going to reply back with .... "then how do you know"

just trust me when i say an intake on a 335 will do nothing... it might make the SWOOOSHHHH sound that everyone likes with a cone filter, but then it will suck all that hot air in. There is no room forn a true cold air intake on a 335...so it would have to be a "short ram" intake, which will make no power and suck hot air.

K&N drop in is your best bet to go with 335 if anything.
I'm sorry. You're making claims on a product(s) that isn't even available yet. If you believe something for yourself, that's great. But don't make claims to other board members on products that don't exist yet.
For no room, i'm sure someone will come up with something, if at all possible. There have been amazing things done to BMW's most notably in the headlight area where they thought they had no room to mod.
I have dynoed BMW NA cars with short ram intakes, and they ALL have produced power.

I'm saying an after market intake MAY produce power. You're saying an after market intake IN NO WAY will ever produce power on 335. I guess the OP can decide which philosophy to follow.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 12:17 PM   #14
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry. You're making claims on a product(s) that isn't even available yet. If you believe something for yourself, that's great. But don't make claims to other board members on products that don't exist yet.
For no room, i'm sure someone will come up with something, if at all possible. There have been amazing things done to BMW's most notably in the headlight area where they thought they had no room to mod.
I have dynoed BMW NA cars with short ram intakes, and they ALL have produced power.

I'm saying an after market intake MAY produce power. You're saying an after market intake IN NO WAY will ever produce power on 335. I guess the OP can decide which philosophy to follow.
seems like you have a lot of knowledge on the 335's....

N/A cars usualy will produce power with a intake, it is completley different from a turbo charged car... but you know that right..........

this has been beatin to freaking death and judging by the number of post you have, I would say you have not read the 15 million threads about intakes on a 335.

if you want to go do it, feel free to go suck hot air in your turbo charged car!

have fun and cant wait to see the huge HP gains to prove me wrong!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 12:21 PM   #15
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep

on a f/i engine most of the cooling is done in the intercooler.

like cea said if youve seen most air intakes on a f/i car they are usually ram air intakes. so they make close to nothing for power gains.

but on a n/a car youll get better gain in power.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #16
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:

like cea said if youve seen most air intakes on a f/i car they are usually ram air intakes. so they make close to nothing for power gains.

+1
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 01:39 PM   #17
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:

Quote:
+1
+2

You aren't going to see much, if any, gain with an intake for a 335i, or turbo'd cars in general. N/A cars will see more a benefit since there is nothing compressing air into the engine as with FI. Like CEA, I have seen a HP drop with various intake setups on a turbo'd car. If anything, a good drop in element like a KandN is worthwhile just for better filtration, not so much a power gain. With a 335i, time would be better spent reducing exhaust backpressure rather than wasting money on fancy intakes.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #18
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Not to be a pita, but technically the K&N filters are less efficient at filtering dirt but more efficient at moving air.

All this air intakes don't help turbo cars talk is a bunch of BS, it just depends on the application. You can't make a general statement like that. If anything, most modern turbo cars tend to have decent air intakes from the factory as the car was designed with engine performance in mind. We'll just need to wait and see for the 335.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catm3 View Post
+2

You aren't going to see much, if any, gain with an intake for a 335i, or turbo'd cars in general. N/A cars will see more a benefit since there is nothing compressing air into the engine as with FI. Like CEA, I have seen a HP drop with various intake setups on a turbo'd car. If anything, a good drop in element like a KandN is worthwhile just for better filtration, not so much a power gain. With a 335i, time would be better spent reducing exhaust backpressure rather than wasting money on fancy intakes.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 02:02 PM   #19
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
Quote:
Not to be a pita, but technically the K&N filters are less efficient at filtering dirt but more efficient at moving air.

All this air intakes don't help turbo cars talk is a bunch of BS, it just depends on the application. You can't make a general statement like that. If anything, most modern turbo cars tend to have decent air intakes from the factory as the car was designed with engine performance in mind. We'll just need to wait and see for the 335.
Actually they are just as efficient if not more efficient than paper filters. As a paper element gets even slightly dirty, efficiency and airflow decline rapidly.

To quote you "If anything, most modern turbo cars tend to have decent air intakes from the factory as the car was designed with engine performance in mind.".

Thats precisely why coming up with elaborate intakes for a turbo car is usually a waste of time. Most intake setups are sufficient. Having said that, I am sure there will be intakes designed for the 335i.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 02:43 PM   #20
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

We arent saying the car isnt going to make power. We are just saying on a f/i car the price spent on buying the CIA is not going to be justified.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 05:40 PM   #21
Coldintake
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
if you want to go do it, feel free to go suck hot air in your turbo charged car!

have fun and cant wait to see the huge HP gains to prove me wrong!
How about this.. Let's wait and see when the first reputable intake comes out and is sold. When that intake causes a drop in power as you have stated that it will, I will BAN myself from this forum.

Quote:
We arent saying the car isnt going to make power. We are just saying on a f/i car the price spent on buying the CIA is not going to be justified.
That's exactly what's being said.
I'm not sure if you guys are new to the BMW/German car scene, but when has any mod(except for this chip by shiv) been worth it's price? When the cheapest intake is above $300 for most 3-er's. There are exhausts that cost near 2grand for our cars that provide little more than a couple HP and some noise.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2007, 05:50 PM   #22
CASHBY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How about this.. Let's wait and see when the first reputable intake comes out and is sold. When that intake causes a drop in power as you have stated that it will, I will BAN myself from this forum.
I would hate to see you leave though from something so stupid...

Quote:
That's exactly what's being said.
I'm not sure if you guys are new to the BMW/German car scene, but when has any mod(except for this chip by shiv) been worth it's price? When the cheapest intake is above $300 for most 3-er's. There are exhausts that cost near 2grand for our cars that provide little more than a couple HP and some noise.
Check my sig, far from new to the german car scene/ specially on turbo charged cars.... that is why am saying all this from years and years of experience i have not seen a intake make power on a german turbo car..
Appreciate 0