E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Good mechanics to diagnose decat smoke issue

06-09-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
umut335i
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible 2007

Good mechanics to diagnose decat smoke issue

Any recommendations on good mechanics near London/Kent area to diagnose my smoking issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
gazz1971
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

A1BN Stevenage not far from you I travelled 120 mile to them that's how good they are .
      06-09-2014, 07:24 AM   #3
umut335i
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz1971 View Post
A1BN Stevenage not far from you I travelled 120 mile to them that's how good they are .
Booked in for Saturday! Hopefully they can help!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
gazz1971
Private First Class
Rep

Good Choice let us know how you get on
Quote:
Originally Posted by umut335i View Post
Booked in for Saturday! Hopefully they can help!
      06-19-2014, 10:39 AM   #5
umut335i
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Good Choice let us know how you get on
A1BN were great mate, thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Regrettably it looks like umut335's vehicles suffering the same issue as mine apparently when driven in the road(I only saw the smoke when the car returned)it was worse than mine. As I thought pre visit it did sound like the car had the same/similar symptoms to mine, which is such a shame but as we all know all too common an issue with these cars.

We done some basic checks(time on a Saturday was always gong to be against us) looking at the various pipes and yes there was oil noted but not a major amount, which you'd kind of suspect with the amount of oil noted when driving but we strongly suspect that separating the down pipe/turbo will reveal some oil deposits for sure and removing both turbos I suspect we will see the net result of either seal failure or heavily carbon infected or seized turbines/shafts. Here's mine as a gentle reminder.

On mine I had the both issues carbon on turbo 2 and seal failure on turbo 1. All I can say us I know how all this feels. At the moment I'm trying to sort out a half decent labour rate for you umut, so please please bare with me as again it's been a mad mad week
      06-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Ta for the kind words.... I'll only tell it as it is as you know but I promise everyone here reading this now, we won't necessarily be the cheapest and we've seen up on our ramps a good few times exactly what the cheapest represents (from poor quality finish, poor for instance exhaust cuts, bad welding incorrectly installed suspension springs and brakes to inferior cheap support brackets for exhausts) and then as some of you know by either by pulling you over to show you underneath your car or by photo's visually present to the customer why it was done so cheaply.

But one thing I'll promise you is we'll do it once do it right for a fair price I won't allow cut corners, crap workmanship and to be fair if I lose work due pure money to do the job then that's sadly how it is. You win you lose but again Gary cheers for the kind words.
      06-20-2014, 01:30 AM   #8
gazz1971
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Ta for the kind words.... I'll only tell it as it is as you know but I promise everyone here reading this now, we won't necessarily be the cheapest and we've seen up on our ramps a good few times exactly what the cheapest represents (from poor quality finish, poor for instance exhaust cuts, bad welding incorrectly installed suspension springs and brakes to inferior cheap support brackets for exhausts) and then as some of you know by either by pulling you over to show you underneath your car or by photo's visually present to the customer why it was done so cheaply.

But one thing I'll promise you is we'll do it once do it right for a fair price I won't allow cut corners, crap workmanship and to be fair if I lose work due pure money to do the job then that's sadly how it is. You win you lose but again Gary cheers for the kind words.