E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Problems with european intake installation

06-14-2011, 12:38 AM   #1
fifty_cent
Enlisted Member
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 325 MT

Unhappy Problems with european intake installation

Hi everyone, pls help me with my problem. I had american intake and decided to change to european. I've bought used intake, but there are some strange holes in it (pic.1 - green arrows), so it's not hermetically and the main pipe doesn't fit (pic.2)

Second problem is strongly car vibration

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 01:35 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
I think that airbox is the European version of the performance airbox. I have the regular Euro box on my car and the lid looks different - plus the upper snorkel mates up with the lid perfectly as it should...

To make that work correctly you would need the mating Performance Upper Snorkel
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 01:53 AM   #3
fifty_cent
Enlisted Member
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I think that airbox is the European version of the performance airbox. I have the regular Euro box on my car and the lid looks different - plus the upper snorkel mates up with the lid perfectly as it should...

To make that work correctly you would need the mating Performance Upper Snorkel
thanks, i think so too, but could it be vibration due to absent of some parts?
and is it possible to buy these parts or only the whole performance kit?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 02:07 AM   #4
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
I don't think you can buy the seperate parts individually from the dealer. You would need to find one as you did the box - mebbe the guy you bought the box from has the upper snorkel?

Is your car U.S. spec? I know my Euro box came with a MAF - but it is Euro MAF and will not work correctly for US car. I just swapped my orignal MAF back in.

Did you reuse your original MAF, or one that came with the box?

Obviously you do not have a sealed unit, but as long as the air leaks are upstream of the MAF, it should not affect how the car runs.

Make sure you use your original MAF, and check to make sure that all duct between MAF and intake are installed correctly and airtight. Leaking air in or out of the system AFTER the MAF can cause driveability problems - MAF has already read the amount of air going into it and done it's calculations for fuel delivery, but if that air changes before it gets into the engine, it's calculations will be in error...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 02:22 AM   #5
fifty_cent
Enlisted Member
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
I don't think you can buy the seperate parts individually from the dealer. You would need to find one as you did the box - mebbe the guy you bought the box from has the upper snorkel?

Is your car U.S. spec? I know my Euro box came with a MAF - but it is Euro MAF and will not work correctly for US car. I just swapped my orignal MAF back in.

Did you reuse your original MAF, or one that came with the box?

Obviously you do not have a sealed unit, but as long as the air leaks are upstream of the MAF, it should not affect how the car runs.

Make sure you use your original MAF, and check to make sure that all duct between MAF and intake are installed correctly and airtight. Leaking air in or out of the system AFTER the MAF can cause driveability problems - MAF has already read the amount of air going into it and done it's calculations for fuel delivery, but if that air changes before it gets into the engine, it's calculations will be in error...
thanks for quik and detail answer. I used my american MAF and did everything correct with installation, so it's better to find another cover, i thnk and try.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2011, 02:39 AM   #6
fifty_cent
Enlisted Member
Russian Federation
Rep

It's interesting, can the absence of upper snorkel makes the vibration?

Today i've connected to the computer my car and checked the temperature of intake air, it was about 155 grad but temperature outside was 64 grad. I suppose the reason of vibration are holes in connections (as in picture) and the hot air flows from the fan. Can it be the reason?

Last edited by fifty_cent; 06-14-2011 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
fifty_cent
Enlisted Member
Russian Federation
Rep

hm, all connections are ok, don't know what to do, computer shows ok. Especially when i turn on condition the vibration is terrible
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
That indeed does not look like the European intake. It looks like the Performance intake.

Scroll down, you'll see a picture of the euro intake.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316115

And a picture of the performance intake.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184580

Last edited by fdriller9; 06-15-2011 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 01:34 AM   #9
fifty_cent
Enlisted Member
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
That indeed does not look like the European intake. It looks like the Performance intake.

Scroll down, you'll see a picture of the euro intake.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316115

And a picture of the performance intake.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184580
Indeed, but now the engine works incorrect. And old filter I throw out. Can it be due to missing some "performance" parts?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 02:14 AM   #10
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
From the looks of it, all you need is the Performance Upper Snorkel to properly match to the lid opening & the rear lid extension piece that pulls air from base of windshield (all though I would think the proper snorkel is the more important of the two). Unfortunately, you can't buy just those seperate pieces from the dealer - they are included in entire setup only.

While it is true that with the large mismatch between the snorkel and the lid you are sucking in hot underhood air instead of only cooler outside air - the Temp Sensor would still read this temp correctly and send that info to the computer for proper run conditions. Performance may drop off some due to hotter ingested air, but should not have an effect that would cause vibration.

If the reason behind the vibration is due to the new intake install - I can still see no way it would have that effect unless there is an intake tract leak somewhere between the MAF and the engine that is allowing extra air to be sucked into the engine that is not being accounted for by the MAF. and/or there is an electrical connection that you disconnected during install and forgot to reconnect...

Do you only feel the vibration @ idle, or all the time?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 02:51 AM   #11
fifty_cent
Enlisted Member
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
From the looks of it, all you need is the Performance Upper Snorkel to properly match to the lid opening & the rear lid extension piece that pulls air from base of windshield (all though I would think the proper snorkel is the more important of the two). Unfortunately, you can't buy just those seperate pieces from the dealer - they are included in entire setup only.

While it is true that with the large mismatch between the snorkel and the lid you are sucking in hot underhood air instead of only cooler outside air - the Temp Sensor would still read this temp correctly and send that info to the computer for proper run conditions. Performance may drop off some due to hotter ingested air, but should not have an effect that would cause vibration.

If the reason behind the vibration is due to the new intake install - I can still see no way it would have that effect unless there is an intake tract leak somewhere between the MAF and the engine that is allowing extra air to be sucked into the engine that is not being accounted for by the MAF. and/or there is an electrical connection that you disconnected during install and forgot to reconnect...

Do you only feel the vibration @ idle, or all the time?
Thanks for reply.

Yesterday I checked all connections again, everything is ok between MAF and intake, the computer shows normal data (13-14 kg per hour).
But vibration I feel only at idle and the same if I hold 1200 rmp on neutral.

Now I'm looking for european cover (not performance) but not sure that it will help
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #12
BudVlad
Old Geezer
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 N53B30

Garage List
2008 E92 N53B30  [10.00]
It won’t be the cover. My car idles normally with the cover off.

06-20-2011, 06:49 AM   #13
fifty_cent
Enlisted Member
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudVlad View Post
It won’t be the cover. My car idles normally with the cover off.

where is your Upper Snorkel?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 07:03 AM   #14
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

Take the cover off and take a picture. That looks like the PI lid that uses the stock lower box. A complete mismatch. Pony up and buy the complete and correct EURO box and lid and round air filter. Come on, You own a BMW, not a honda or toyota.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #15
fifty_cent
Enlisted Member
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post
Take the cover off and take a picture. That looks like the PI lid that uses the stock lower box. A complete mismatch. Pony up and buy the complete and correct EURO box and lid and round air filter. Come on, You own a BMW, not a honda or toyota.
I did

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #16
CobraMarty
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi e90 + e92

My bad. You got the correct PI intake duct I see. Does it still vibrate.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #17
BudVlad
Old Geezer
Czech_Republic
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 N53B30  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty_cent View Post
where is your Upper Snorkel?
I don’t have upper snorkel.

06-21-2011, 12:51 AM   #18
fifty_cent
Enlisted Member
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post
My bad. You got the correct PI intake duct I see. Does it still vibrate.
Yes, i found another parts)
now it's it a little vibration, but much better that was before.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 12:52 AM   #19
fifty_cent
Enlisted Member
Russian Federation
Rep

[QUOTE=BudVlad;9855380]I don’t have upper snorkel.
QUOTE]

why? have u hole for sound?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2011, 01:27 AM   #20
BudVlad
Old Geezer
Czech_Republic
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 N53B30  [10.00]
That opening is for sound. The snorkel makes it louder.