E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Confusion on Order Status

09-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
Wingman335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92

Confusion on Order Status

Hello all,

I have a E92 on order. I called up BMW's toll free number, and they said that my car is scheduled for a week 38 build. Rightaway I talked to my CA and he says that the car just finished production and he will get me the VIN tomorrow.

Normally the folks at BMW have canned answers which is not always true, but the lady sounded like she was knowledgeable. The automated system said my car does not have a confirmed production date, and the website lists a totally wrong car with a "on order" status.

Whose words should I go by!?

PS. I know I should've posted this on the "Ordering/Tracking" section, but this subforum seems to be a lot more active.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
serg1282
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: through

Take whatever your CA says as gospel in this case. The 800# and owner's circle are frequently wrong.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman335 View Post
Hello all,

I have a E92 on order. I called up BMW's toll free number, and they said that my car is scheduled for a week 38 build. Rightaway I talked to my CA and he says that the car just finished production and he will get me the VIN tomorrow.

Normally the folks at BMW have canned answers which is not always true, but the lady sounded like she was knowledgeable. The automated system said my car does not have a confirmed production date, and the website lists a totally wrong car with a "on order" status.

Whose words should I go by!?

PS. I know I should've posted this on the "Ordering/Tracking" section, but this subforum seems to be a lot more active.
VIN Number comes BEFORE Production starts. When did you order? Did the dealer have ready slot for your car?

That's BS from your dealer about the VIN coming after car is done.

Website will list wrong car, usually starts with the wrong color/trim/options. This gets updated later, but everything may not show up still.

I would think the BMW Automated response has very less likelihood of being wrong. Your CA seems to be making you believe your car is ready so quickly, which is probably not true.

Good luck. Keep tracking, it is worth the wait!

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
Wingman335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serg1282 View Post
Take whatever your CA says as gospel in this case. The 800# and owner's circle are frequently wrong.
I hope so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
VIN Number comes BEFORE Production starts. When did you order? Did the dealer have ready slot for your car?

That's BS from your dealer about the VIN coming after car is done.

Website will list wrong car, usually starts with the wrong color/trim/options. This gets updated later, but everything may not show up still.

I would think the BMW Automated response has very less likelihood of being wrong. Your CA seems to be making you believe your car is ready so quickly, which is probably not true.

Good luck. Keep tracking, it is worth the wait!
I ordered it in the first week of August. I think the dealer modified a slot from his allocation to my specifications. BMWUSA website shows its an M3, where as mine is a 335. He did give me a vehicle inquiry report right after ordering, along with the production number. There was no VIN assigned at that point- at least that's what the report said.

The wait is killing me, and the August factory vacation did not help either
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I hope so!

I ordered it in the first week of August. I think the dealer modified a slot from his allocation to my specifications. BMWUSA website shows its an M3, where as mine is a 335. He did give me a vehicle inquiry report right after ordering, along with the production number. There was no VIN assigned at that point- at least that's what the report said.

The wait is killing me, and the August factory vacation did not help either
That's right. No VIN assigned at time of order confirmation.

Please see here.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427316

My Post. i.e. #6 on that thread. Text in BOLD you should be able to help find the allocated Production Week. Mine was week 35 and said so on order form. HTH

Driving: 2020 540i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa - Dec 2019 BTO - Feb 2020 Delivery
Returned: 2016 535i M-Sport Carbon Black, Ivory Nappa :: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport Min Grey, Coral Red :: 2011 E90 328i Deep Sea Blue, Oyster Dakota
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
Wingman335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
That's right. No VIN assigned at time of order confirmation.

Please see here.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427316

My Post. i.e. #6 on that thread. Text in BOLD you should be able to help find the allocated Production Week. Mine was week 35 and said so on order form. HTH
Your's had W-35-XXXXX. Does the "35" stand for the week number? I don't think that is correct. Mine is L-18-XXXXX. Week 18 occurred way before I even placed the order! The #800 real human person told me it is a week 38! I cannot believe it is so hard to find a consistent answer!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Your's had W-35-XXXXX. Does the "35" stand for the week number? I don't think that is correct. Mine is L-18-XXXXX. Week 18 occurred way before I even placed the order! The #800 real human person told me it is a week 38! I cannot believe it is so hard to find a consistent answer!
Oh well, unconfirmed info, and I was deceived by the similarity. I thought so, but I now know I was wrong. I apologize. The OP in the other thread never confirmed anything to point out I was wrong either.

I would call up BMWNA at #800 number and ask them if VIN is available. Then call up dealer and ask him for the VIN. If none of them have it, your car is far from being ready.

Dealers play these games sometimes with not letting you know the correct status as they can later cook up a story. Behind the scenes something else goes on, but they make you believe their orders can get completed very quickly and that will make you happy. I am not going to say, that is happening with you, it could be possible. My CA said car will complete before the August break as it is scheduled for next day production. That changed to Week 35 when I called up in August. I made no changes to the build in between.

I ordered July 21, got Week 35 allotment, which was right after August break.

You said you ordered in August, Week 36-38 sounds about right (assuming your dealer and mine have pretty much same allotments available and see same volume of customers). Factory re-opened and resumed operation in only 4th week of August.

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 07:23 AM   #8
Wingman335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I talked to the 800# BMWUSA number and mentioned the discrepancy between them and my dealer's information. They said that the dealer has the most recent information, as they use a different tracking system, so I should definitely go by what the dealer says.

Oh well.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 07:31 AM   #9
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Go by what the dealer says. I don't even bother with the 800 number or BMW website anymore. I just wait for my CA to update me and know he's telling me the truth.

Now, following your car on the ship is another story. It's pretty fun to see where your car is each day on the shipping website.
      09-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
10beers
'12 535xi, old '11 335xi, '95 320i
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 335i GT mineral white

Vin number is generated once car begins production. Car only takes 3-4 days at most to make after visiting factory. Some in as little as 2 days as they have a readily available amount of prepainted shells for basic colors. Majority of the wait is travel time from factory to port, port to port, port to dealership. Dealer has best tracking info is correct. What may not be correct is production week. ie you order for one week but the dealer doesnt have any slots in that week and must trade with another dealer. Mine had that problem (as a military sale) and got pushed a week to the right, but well worth the wait. Just wish I had done factory delivery as ita only about 2 hours from my current residence.
Appreciate 0