E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > BMS Filter Review **with video**

04-04-2008, 05:08 AM   #67
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3thirty5 View Post
hope no one flames me for this... but am i the only that feels a little iffy about having the turbos sucking air away from each other?.. i mean shouldn't there be a plate or something in the middle separating the 2 ends of the filter? maybe it's just me.
Some of the other intakes have different size piping to each turbo as well. I am not the expert, but I don't think they are competing. The other intakes still use one filter, but just channel to each turbo. The BMS uses one filter and the stock piping to each turbo.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 03:02 AM   #68
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Mine was supposed to have shipped out on the 7th, which was basically today. So hopefully I have it in the next 2 days or so.

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 04:30 AM   #69
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
Mine was supposed to have shipped out on the 7th, which was basically today. So hopefully I have it in the next 2 days or so.

Boost, when you get it pm me if you have any questions. It is an easy install to say the least. I have had mine on for two weeks running on 275x30 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 tires, and I still can turn them quite easily. The power is definitely there. The whole car sounds so much more like a boost car now. The pull after a couple adaption days is also apparent.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #70
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Boost, when you get it pm me if you have any questions. It is an easy install to say the least. I have had mine on for two weeks running on 275x30 Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 tires, and I still can turn them quite easily. The power is definitely there. The whole car sounds so much more like a boost car now. The pull after a couple adaption days is also apparent.
Sounds great man! I drove around for about 2 days with out my A/C filter and engine support beam on (doing work on the PROcede V2.02 maps) and the engine sounded so much better! I could hear everything. . . turbo's spooling, pressure being released, the whole deal! But now I put it all back together and the engine is quiet again : /

So, I cant wait to try this little guy out, for the slight power, and the sound. And thanks for the helping hand man

Quick question, do I need to remove the A/C filter and all that mess, or can I install this just fine with those things in the way?

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 05:03 AM   #71
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Sounds great man! I drove around for about 2 days with out my A/C filter and engine support beam on (doing work on the PROcede V2.02 maps) and the engine sounded so much better! I could hear everything. . . turbo's spooling, pressure being released, the whole deal! But now I put it all back together and the engine is quiet again : /

So, I cant wait to try this little guy out, for the slight power, and the sound. And thanks for the helping hand man

Quick question, do I need to remove the A/C filter and all that mess, or can I install this just fine with those things in the way?
Boost Nation, no problem at all my friend. Forums are such a good thing for enthusiasts! You will not need to remove anything A/C filter related. Remember the cowl that snaps on that you had to remove to get the air filter location open? If you take an extra 30 seconds and pop that off it will help you access the bolt on the clamp for the rear hose of the intake. That is the only place I differed in my install vs. the instructions.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #72
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Any tips on how to remove the 3 rubber grommets off the airbox? i've been pulling and pulling and it is slowly moving but it just wont come off. Is there a certain order i have to pull it so its easier?
      04-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #73
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
Any tips on how to remove the 3 rubber grommets off the airbox? i've been pulling and pulling and it is slowly moving but it just wont come off. Is there a certain order i have to pull it so its easier?
Put your hand inside the intake tube on the stock airbox and pull up. You are not gonna hurt them...

Do the same thing on the backside as well. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions....
      04-09-2008, 11:10 PM   #74
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
I took a small screwdriver and stuck it between the post and grommet. Make sure you do it where the flange is on the post itself. Then just lift up, and it comes right off with no fuss.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2008, 11:22 PM   #75
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep

----edit---
Problem solved. Terrys awesome. Posted the question and he responded within minutes.

Another quick question, i noticed that the filter is ALMOST touching the side of the engine (the throttle body?). There is a tiny bit of room for clearance but its really close to touching. Is it supposed to be like that? i tried rotating it around to see if i can get more clearance and that is the best i could do.

i took a photo from your thread e90AW335i, i hope its ok. Should i have plenty of clearance there or is it ok if it touches or close to touching?

Last edited by LOLrance; 04-09-2008 at 11:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2008, 05:05 AM   #76
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
----edit---
Problem solved. Terrys awesome. Posted the question and he responded within minutes.

Another quick question, i noticed that the filter is ALMOST touching the side of the engine (the throttle body?). There is a tiny bit of room for clearance but its really close to touching. Is it supposed to be like that? i tried rotating it around to see if i can get more clearance and that is the best i could do.

i took a photo from your thread e90AW335i, i hope its ok. Should i have plenty of clearance there or is it ok if it touches or close to touching?
That is what mine looks like too. I have been running it for 2 weeks now with 0 problems. I have had some warm days too.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 04:09 AM   #77
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Got mine in the mail today! Installed it, and love it!

Damn thing sounds like I have a BOV now haha. Everytime you press the gas theres this loud hissing suction sound and whenever you shift or let off the gas theres a hissing whip like sound. Pretty freaking sick haha.

Popped the hood after a bunch of hard runs and it was just warm, not hot. I think the air rushing in from the snorkle really helps to cool that area down. My distilled water + water wetter + a bit of oem coolant mixture is noticeably keeping my temps down by about 10-20 degrees in every situation. I was cruising home from Costa Mesa in 45 degree weather tonight and even after repeated hard runs my temps never went over 210! The more distilled water and water wetter I add, the cooler it's running.

cant wait to get an FMIC to just really tip off the cake in terms of my engine's efficiency, longevity and relief of stress on my turbos, cooler intake temps, and MUCH better resistance to heat (they cool themselves back down way faster then the stock FMIC).

Oh, and some Forge DV's have to come too. . . but I dont have money for all of this. DP's can wait, the DV's and FMIC is more important.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 04:37 AM   #78
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Got mine in the mail today! Installed it, and love it!

Damn thing sounds like I have a BOV now haha. Everytime you press the gas theres this loud hissing suction sound and whenever you shift or let off the gas theres a hissing whip like sound. Pretty freaking sick haha.

Popped the hood after a bunch of hard runs and it was just warm, not hot. I think the air rushing in from the snorkle really helps to cool that area down. My distilled water + water wetter + a bit of oem coolant mixture is noticeably keeping my temps down by about 10-20 degrees in every situation. I was cruising home from Costa Mesa in 45 degree weather tonight and even after repeated hard runs my temps never went over 210! The more distilled water and water wetter I add, the cooler it's running.

cant wait to get an FMIC to just really tip off the cake in terms of my engine's efficiency, longevity and relief of stress on my turbos, cooler intake temps, and MUCH better resistance to heat (they cool themselves back down way faster then the stock FMIC).

Oh, and some Forge DV's have to come too. . . but I dont have money for all of this. DP's can wait, the DV's and FMIC is more important.

Easy install huh? The sounds are simply crazy! I am curious to see after a day or so if you feel more power as I did.

By the way, you car is sick. I am BSM with gun metal faced wheels as well. The combo is addicting.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 05:29 AM   #79
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Easy install huh? The sounds are simply crazy! I am curious to see after a day or so if you feel more power as I did.

By the way, you car is sick. I am BSM with gun metal faced wheels as well. The combo is addicting.
The install wasn't as easy as doing it on an E46, but I didnt expect that anyway. Those 3 rubber grommets were a pain and those other 3 rubber clasps with the hoses were also a bit of a pain. other then that, it was pretty damn simple. I dont feel any power gains yet, but 8-10 hp is hard to notice anyway.

And thanks man

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 07:21 AM   #80
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers, duh

Quote:
----edit---

L4wr3nc, have you had a chance to hit the track with that intake? Im very very intersted to see if the car runs hot after a few laps and goes limp on you. If not, thats fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #81
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3to335 View Post
L4wr3nc, have you had a chance to hit the track with that intake? Im very very intersted to see if the car runs hot after a few laps and goes limp on you. If not, thats fantastic.
i have not had a chance to go to the track yet. I will most likely go next month to Buttonwillow though. Its going to be atleast 90+ degrees there so it should be a good testament to how well the car will hold up with the intake.
      04-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #82
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers, duh

Sounds good. Cant wait to hear your feedback.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #83
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3to335 View Post
No track, but I did about an hour of almost straight WOT most the time, and that thing wasn't hot at all, just pretty warm. I think the snorkle helps a ton, I mean it's just a big rush of air to that area. . . . it's gotta help, no?

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #84
drphil71
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

yeah at high speeds alot of air has got to be flowing, and I think terry is coming up with a stage 2 involving something to help the air flow even better.
      04-11-2008, 02:30 PM   #85
Mattscott
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by drphil71 View Post
yeah at high speeds alot of air has got to be flowing, and I think terry is coming up with a stage 2 involving something to help the air flow even better.
Maybe something that forces the air into the air like the rpi scoops, and encloses the intake a little bit
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #86
GGreek5
Olimpiakos
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3

Just ordered my 335i yesterday, and just ordered the intake today!! I love it. This is my first F/I ride, so I love the sound of turbos!!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 05:33 PM   #87
adrian1480
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435icp

installing now...
The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly, who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who, at the best, know the triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #88
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGreek5 View Post
Just ordered my 335i yesterday, and just ordered the intake today!! I love it. This is my first F/I ride, so I love the sound of turbos!!
Damn congrats on the order, but I feel bad for you because you are going to stare at that intake at your house, and make the wait for your car even longer than it is...Well then again it really is an agonizing wait...
Appreciate 0