E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Battery / starter motor issues?

08-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #1
OMLGitzScott
Rep
Drives: Renaultsport Megane R26

Exclamation Battery / starter motor issues?

For the past couple of weeks I've been having an issue where the "handbrake" light on the dash remains on, as well as a red car on a ramp warning light coming up when I start the car.

I had a flick through the manual and this appears to be due to a start motor issue? However the car starts fine.

Twice in the last week I've the car has just lost all power;
Firstly after listening to the radio with the engine turned off for 10 minutes
Secondly today after driving less than two minutes when I turned the car off all the electronics failed and I couldn't remove the key fob from the dash.

Both times required a jump start to get the car going again.

The second time it happened, the issue was proceeded with the ABS / Tyre Deflation light / "!" Symbol all flashing up on the dash and the speedo dropping fron 20mph to zero and going back up again.

I had the car on a bosch code reader the other day to try and diagnose the fault, but they couldn't find the issue and said it would require a (costly) trip to a main dealer.

Any idea what the issue could be before I head off to the dealers?

Could a new battery solve the issue?
Appreciate 0