E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Cleaning exhaust?

08-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Cleaning exhaust?

Well last night I picked up some mothers metal polish and 0000 steel wool while I was at waldo-mart last night. My question is, do i need to wet the exhaust with water so its lubed, or put some polish on the wool or exhaust, or just used the wool dry? I know to take a cloth after the wool with the polish and polish the tip, but does the wool need lube or just dry?

Thanks,
      08-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
Eugeinus
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' Audi A6

I always give it a good spray down with water followed by degreaser prior to going at it with the steel wool.
      08-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #3
BrandonMarkelW
2nd is 1st in my opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i/sport/technology/6mt

just tried the steel wool with the eagle one never dull and it ruined my finish......im pist....so proceed with caution when using steel wool....and yes i used the recommended 0000 grade super fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Otruba_843
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonMarkelW View Post
just tried the steel wool with the eagle one never dull and it ruined my finish......im pist....so proceed with caution when using steel wool....and yes i used the recommended 0000 grade super fine.
I did it too. It didn't ruin any of my finish. The only part that is shiny on the dulled exhaust is the bottom of the tip where i guess the carbon ate it away , i bought used from the dealer and the owner didn't clean the exhaust. Your only really supposed to use it on the tip and inside lightly, not with alot of pressure. Do you have a picture?
      08-08-2012, 05:29 AM   #5
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Exhaust Tailpipe

Two things that can ruin the freshly detailed look of a vehicle; dirty glass or exhaust tips; the exhaust tips can sometimes make or break the rear view of an otherwise pristine vehicle. Spray down the inside and outside of the tips with P21S® Total Auto Wash or P21S® Polishing Soap, allow to remain in place, it will to start break down the grime. To clean the outside parts of the exhaust use either a Mini E-Z Detail brush (they are perfect for cleaning the areas between dual-tips) or an old micro fibre used strictly for dirty jobs and Optimum Metal Polish.

Wipe down the (inside and outside) exhaust tips to remove initial carbon deposit and any water ‘spots’ using P21S Total Auto Wash and a micro fibre towel. Polish using P21S® Polishing Soap (not intended for use on painted, clear coated or anodized surfaces) and/or Optimum Metal Polish and a terry cloth towel on the insides of the tips

Now move on to the outside of the tips once again with Optimum Metal Polish and an older microfiber towel that is no longer used for the painted surfaces, ensure to polish with the grain. Finish Kare FK1000P or Zoopseal are ideal choice as protection as they are both designed to withstand high temp and are extremely durable.

For really stuborn stains use a metal polish (Optimum Metal Polish) and wool a 3M™White Scotch-Brite™ pad

Blue-Job Chrome and Metal Polish has a unique non abrasive, highly concentrated, powder formula, guaranteed to remove bluing and add a long lasting shine, without scratching or dulling the finish surface. Blue-Job will leave your product brilliant, clean, dry and more resistant to future bluing or tarnishing.

Note: The inside of some vehicles exhaust tips are painted with a matte black heat resistant paint, do not use wire or bronze as this will remove the paint. This type of finish can be renewed by cleaning them well, and spraying High Temp Flat Black (Matte) Satin Paint that is available from an auto store (Dupli Color)
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
dodger03
Rep
Drives: vios

I haven't tried cleaning the exhaust guess it also needs cleaning!