E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Deflection Pulley Snapped

05-30-2016, 02:00 PM   #1
swain90
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2005 E90

Deflection Pulley Snapped

Hi All,

Not quite sure where to put this, so feel free to move it mods!

I started my car this morning and heard rather a large clunk. After some investigation my Deflection Pulley screw has snapped, thankfully at the pulley end not the bit inside the engine block, i've managed to unscrew it out.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_3662 (parts 5,6,7)

How easy is this to replace myself?

Having a read online I need to undo the tensioner pulley, however looking at pictures of new ones, they have a pin in them. What will happen if I try and remove my current one for when I need to put the belt back on?

Cheers

Swain90
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 11:38 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Are you talking about the tensioner pulley

Are you talking about the tensioner pulley
There is a bunch of DIY's on that it comes with
a pin to relieve the tension for installation so you can put the pulley on.
The thing they have labeled as deflection pulley looks
like it's on the alternator. You also need a breaker bar with
a large Torx bit to do this.
Go to pelican part and look up there DIY you may also
find some on ytube and at the e90post diy subforum.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 01:43 AM   #3
swain90
United Kingdom
Rep

This is the inside;

View post on imgur.com

The bit highlighted in green is where the deflection pulley has come out of.

I'm guessing that the red circle is where the pin should go and i'm assuming that I should be undoing the purple bit so that I can put the belt back on.

I've had a look at some of the DIY's but the pictures have now been deleted from their hosting, and there isn't much in terms of up close videos showing you how to remove it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 04:39 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

So your car is a 320d. I've not worked on a 320d since it is not here in the Sates, but the tensioners pretty much all work the same. On the N52 (gas motor) the tensioner needs a T60 Torx bit to use with a breaker bar to move (release) the tensioner, so you need to find what Torx bit fits the 320d tensioner (knowing BMW, it's proably a T60).

The pin you speak of is a shipping pin that comes with a new tensioner. There is a hole in the body of the tensioner that matches up with the hole on the spring arm of the tensioner. Once you've released the tension on the tensioner you can slide the correct-sized pin into the hole and lock the tensioner (open), then route the belt, then move the tensioner spring arm a bit and pull the pin out. All you need to do is find the correct drift, sized to fit the hole, to lock the tensioner open.

All that said, you can really route the belt (over the tensioner), all accept the alternator pulley, then release the tension on the tensioner with the breaker bar, route the belt over the last pulley (alternator) and then apply the tension, without the need for a pin to lock the tensioner open. JUst watch your fingers...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 04:47 PM   #5
swain90
United Kingdom
Rep

I've not got the right set of tools, I've called in the breakdown cover company to try and sort it in the morning. I pay for the cover so I might as well use it?

The one thing the realoem page doesn't tell you (and this is the bit that's snapped on mine), is that you need this part #12318574809 hex bolt which is the bolt which screws through the alternator to allow you to re attach the pulley. This is the part;
http://i.imgur.com/9nN7N0f.jpg?1 http://i.imgur.com/9nN7N0f.jpg?1 View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0