E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Catted vs Catless Downpipes

11-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #23
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Not quite accurate. They detect degradation of the cats and, as the cats are become less effective, do affect fuel trim.

Neil
Affect in which direction - run the engine leaner or richer if cat degradation is detected? I would assume the ECU will lean out the bank with a failing cat, no?

And as a followup question - what is done about catless DP tuning for flash and piggyback to counteract this? Or is it such a small change that nothing is done in the aftermarket tune when running catless?
      11-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #24
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
Affect in which direction - run the engine leaner or richer if cat degradation is detected? I would assume the ECU will lean out the bank with a failing cat, no?

And as a followup question - what is done about catless DP tuning for flash and piggyback to counteract this? Or is it such a small change that nothing is done in the aftermarket tune when running catless?
James -

You're asking me technical questions. Hah!

Certainly it is possible that the post-cat O2 sensors do little other than the monitor cats, but I've been told that they do adjust LTFT as the cats become less effective -- presumably leaning out the AFR.

For this reason, I'm told it's advisable for those using the DP fix to install it only when necessary to show readiness for inspections and not to leave it installed.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #25
awei130
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, E92, 987

Only the catless downpipes work with the xi models.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #26
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
Once again, you're providing misinformation.

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #27
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post

A tune's serving a different purpose then an o2 Sim. Tune is increasing performance & just blocking out the SES/CEL thrown by emissions (thus blocking a OEM DME correction of AFRs). An o2 Sim alters your AFRs so you pass an OBD Scan when your car has the primary cats deleted; that's why there's a cool knob on the DP Fix to adjust how strong you need to go before the car is Ready & Passable.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #28
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Not quite accurate. They detect degradation of the cats and, as the cats are become less effective, do affect fuel trim.

Neil
So the DP fix is wired in to make the DME believe the cats are in tip-top shape whereas the Cobb Stage2 or JB4 clear the code, also making the DME believe the cats are in tip-top shape.

So no, for all intents and purposes it does not affect fuel trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post

Want to try again instead of taunting? You're probably the worst when it comes to misinforming people on this forum.

Quote:
A tune's serving a different purpose then an o2 Sim. Tune is increasing performance & just blocking out the SES/CEL thrown by emissions (thus blocking a OEM DME correction of AFRs). An o2 Sim alters your AFRs so you pass an OBD Scan when your car has the primary cats deleted; that's why there's a cool knob on the DP Fix to adjust how strong you need to go before the car is Ready & Passable.
An O2 sim doesn't alter your AFRs, it alters what the sensor sees, big difference. If ithe sim actually altered the AFRs, then it would be adjusting fuel or timing or affecting the O2 sensors that actually measure AFR and not an AFR dropoff post-cat and it doesn't. And the primary O2 sensors in this DME are what is used for that purpose. The secondary O2s may be reactionary and cause the DME to alter the original tune in case of bad cats, etc; but as it stands, if the DME thinks the cats are A-OK, it does not affect AFR.

Last edited by Sered; 11-09-2012 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #29
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

The DP fix does not clear codes. Instead, it allows the DME to show readiness.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #30
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
You know what, how about you go drive around with an o2 Sim installed & take some logs. I can guarantee you that the logs won't be as pretty as when the o2 Sim is NOT on the car.

And if what you're suggesting is true (that the o2 Sim basically just fools the sensors), why aren't all the major tunes already incorporating it into their software & selling their own versions (instead only BMS has a corner on this market for the N54, N20 & S65 markets)? Why aren't Terry, Shiv & other major tuners running with o2 Sensors installed in their cars?

Explanation: It affects the tunes settings & should only be used (and installed) when getting an OBD scan. Otherwise, get rid of it cause it's going to negatively impact the cars performance settings.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #31
Quebequer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

There is a lot of misinformation here.
First, there are some options for catted downpipes for xi's. I have ultimate racing catted downpipes on my car. There is also AR's, and probably others.
Second, with my UR catted downpipes, I don't throw any cell without JB4 in. I always remove JB4 and meth kit before going in for warranty claim. I changed both turbos and my transfer case on warranty. A friend of mine has an Xi with the same downpipe as mine, and he's running JB+, which does not carry the downpipe fix option. Absolutely no cell, and car can go in for warranty with them installed.
I love my catted downpipes because there is no rasp. There is no place to put some resonators on xi's, so rasp is awful with an aftermarket exhaust. Also, I had catless ones before, and I really did not see downgrade in performance, buttdyno wise.
      11-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #32
Hellrot Sachin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 335i

Since it seems that people here know a thing or two... Does anyone have any information on the change in emissions when you take the two rear cats out for downpipes.. not for a CEL or inspection, but for my own conscience.. I know, crazy thought. but I'm thinking of getting DP without cats, if someone tells me the emissions difference is negligible and the rears are really redundant.. anyone?

Thanks,

Sachin
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #33
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellrot Sachin View Post
Since it seems that people here know a thing or two... Does anyone have any information on the change in emissions when you take the two rear cats out for downpipes.. not for a CEL or inspection, but for my own conscience.. I know, crazy thought. but I'm thinking of getting DP without cats, if someone tells me the emissions difference is negligible and the rears are really redundant.. anyone?

Thanks,

Sachin
Concerned about a sniffer test? And there's two completely separate sets of cats in an N54 exhaust: 1st set are in the DPs, 2nd set are located further back in the midpipe section. Unless you replace the midpipes, the secondary cats are maintained (even if you change your axle-back exhaust).
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #34
335ikiid
daygo.
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89
^^^That'll interfere with the AFRs & could cause the car to unintentionally run rich/too lean

It's recommended that once you use the BMS DP Fix to pass an inspection test, that you remove it again before ripping on the car
really? learned something new today haha
      11-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #35
Hellrot Sachin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TiAg E90 335i

Quote:
Concerned about a sniffer test? And there's two completely separate sets of cats in an N54 exhaust: 1st set are in the DPs, 2nd set are located further back in the midpipe section. Unless you replace the midpipes, the secondary cats are maintained (even if you change your axle-back exhaust).
Ha.. not as concerned with a true sniffer test.. just wondering how much worse is it for emissions and the environment if I go catless DP..

HRS
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #36
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Ha.. not as concerned with a true sniffer test.. just wondering how much worse is it for emissions and the environment if I go catless DP..

HRS
For the enviroment? Well the emissions will increase with catless DP's that's for sure, but like benzy said there are secondary cats still in place. Far less emissions than if you were fully catless, but a little bit more than fully catted. Once your car is warmed up, you can't smell the exhaust with only the secondaries in place, so there working
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #37
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:

HRS
Going completely catless, the most you'll notice is the smell at start up & in the cold (since you live in Chicago), you'll prob get smoke from the tailpipes until the engine & exhaust finally warm up
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #38
TommyLights
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Man

An O2 sim doesn't alter your AFRs, it alters what the sensor sees, big difference. If ithe sim actually altered the AFRs, then it would be adjusting fuel or timing or affecting the O2 sensors that actually measure AFR and not an AFR dropoff post-cat and it doesn't. And the primary O2 sensors in this DME are what is used for that purpose. The secondary O2s may be reactionary and cause the DME to alter the original tune in case of bad cats, etc; but as it stands, if the DME thinks the cats are A-OK, it does not affect AFR.[/QUOTE]

I dont think the first sentence is true. BMS states that the DP fix works by altering the signal the sensor is sending to the DME and replaces it with a fixed value.