E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Vibration when turning at low speed?

09-17-2009, 07:22 PM   #45
Trento
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

I have an 08 328xi with 15K on it and this "vibration" or "shudder" that you feel I have had since I bought the car from the dealer. I have had my car in 3 separate times for the dealer to diagnose - and I have to say they have done have done their best - but the problem still exists.

The last work that was done was to install a new power steering rack and then re-align all four wheels. Unfortunately, the issue still persists and the car is going back once again. I also have a noticeable "whine" in the front end which I am informed is normal. It sounds like a tension whine (like when you turn your steering wheel to the max) and I have always felt this has been associated with the problem.

I'm very interested to hear of your outcome - since I have been trying to find others who may have this issue. This is not my first BMW - just my first problem without a satisfactory resolution.

Good Luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 09:36 PM   #46
npinibir2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
They called me yesterday after they put the lubrisol in the ps unit. The problem was still there. They called me in again to show the technician exactly what I was talking about. I duplicated the problem and the mechanic told me that it was normal because when you are at a stop and steer, the load is too high. I told him that the problem can't be normal that it was embarrassing to drive people around in your BMW and they ask you why the car is making that noise and vibration. I told that if it was normal, then this car is junk. This is not to be expected from a BMW.

I also brought my 2007 335i and I told him my car doesn't make that nose and he said that it was different engine and different suspension. He suggested to check another 328i to compare apples to apples. He didn't wanna try a brand spankin new BMW in which my 328i is almost brand new. Well, it's got 18000 miles. hahaha.. Anyway, he had a 2007 328i with 36,000 miles on it. He took it out and had me ride in it and he tested it to see if it will make the same droning and vibration. I told him, that is exactly how it's suppose to be, nothing, no droning and no vibration. Tried it in park, Drive and riverse. Nothing. Now he's got something to work with. New power steering is in order.

Also, if you are having issue with your windows scratches as my windows looks like crap because of a bad part that is scratching the crap out of the windows. Well, they will replace all for and I will get them to redo the tint on the windows as it came with it from the factory.

Another issue, ticking noise in the engine, very common on 328i series specially the 2008 and very annoying, they will also fix that.

I am really hoping that all this issue will be resolved. Tired of going back and forth the dealership for repair when I was only suppose to make a trip there once a year for service. This is just terrible.

I'll update when available.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #47
npinibir2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trento View Post
I have an 08 328xi with 15K on it and this "vibration" or "shudder" that you feel I have had since I bought the car from the dealer. I have had my car in 3 separate times for the dealer to diagnose - and I have to say they have done have done their best - but the problem still exists.

The last work that was done was to install a new power steering rack and then re-align all four wheels. Unfortunately, the issue still persists and the car is going back once again. I also have a noticeable "whine" in the front end which I am informed is normal. It sounds like a tension whine (like when you turn your steering wheel to the max) and I have always felt this has been associated with the problem.

I'm very interested to hear of your outcome - since I have been trying to find others who may have this issue. This is not my first BMW - just my first problem without a satisfactory resolution.

Good Luck.
This is also my first problem with BMW. Terrible experience especially when you pay the price to supposedly get better quality. Either way, it is going to get resolved. If they can't fix it, I am going to call a friend of mine who specialize in BMW and Mercedes and troubleshoot it. I am willing to pay to get this fixed and if they fix it, I will make sure that I get reimbursed for it. haha.

I am honestly convinced that the AC unit is related. I barely notice it with the AC off. The AC also lost some refrigerant and they didn't find any leak. WHAT? where did it go? oh well, I'm sure I'll be back there again next year for AC service.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #48
tolkino
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 BSM E92 328i xDrive

Do you guys have servotronic in your car by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #49
npinibir2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkino View Post
Do you guys have servotronic in your car by any chance?
That I don't know. Please elaborate what servotronic does and how to verify if my car has it. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #50
tolkino
Captain
Rep

Servotronic is a factory option which decreases the amount of effort needed to turn the steering wheel. For example, normally the 3-series steering wheel is hard to steer, with Servotronic it makes it lighter while parking. Or it adjusts the amount of steering assistance according to the speed. I have this option and I was thinking whether its related to the issue we're having.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #51
npinibir2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkino View Post
Servotronic is a factory option which decreases the amount of effort needed to turn the steering wheel. For example, normally the 3-series steering wheel is hard to steer, with Servotronic it makes it lighter while parking. Or it adjusts the amount of steering assistance according to the speed. I have this option and I was thinking whether its related to the issue we're having.
I will ask the dealer about whether my 328 has it or not. Another possibility too is they switched ps manufacturer from the 07 model to 08 model. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #52
tolkino
Captain
Rep

hmm my friends 2008 335xi doesnt do this, I drove it today.. Is there a way of checking power steering fluid in this car?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 07:51 PM   #53
Trento
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

My 328xi has Servotronic - hmmmmmm...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #54
npinibir2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
My 335i also doesn't have this issue. The loaner that I am driving now is a 328i 2008 and is showing the same sypmtom. The droning is not as loud yet but it's got bigger a bigger problem. There is whining noise coming from the engine compartment. If you remember the problem with the ford ps, you can hear the whining when you steer and when you accelerate.

work done to my 328i. recharge AC, replace the piece in the door that is scratching the windows on all four doors. (dealer also fixed the tint free of charge since the car came with the windows tinted.), PS unit is in order to replace current one(hopefully this fixes the problem). Lifters are also in order because the engine is ticking. This is terrible considering it is a BMW and it is a year old.

Scheduled my 335i for HPFP replacement.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #55
rkick08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by npinibir2 View Post
They called me yesterday after they put the lubrisol in the ps unit. The problem was still there. They called me in again to show the technician exactly what I was talking about. I duplicated the problem and the mechanic told me that it was normal because when you are at a stop and steer, the load is too high. I told him that the problem can't be normal that it was embarrassing to drive people around in your BMW and they ask you why the car is making that noise and vibration. I told that if it was normal, then this car is junk. This is not to be expected from a BMW.

I also brought my 2007 335i and I told him my car doesn't make that nose and he said that it was different engine and different suspension. He suggested to check another 328i to compare apples to apples. He didn't wanna try a brand spankin new BMW in which my 328i is almost brand new. Well, it's got 18000 miles. hahaha.. Anyway, he had a 2007 328i with 36,000 miles on it. He took it out and had me ride in it and he tested it to see if it will make the same droning and vibration. I told him, that is exactly how it's suppose to be, nothing, no droning and no vibration. Tried it in park, Drive and riverse. Nothing. Now he's got something to work with. New power steering is in order.

Also, if you are having issue with your windows scratches as my windows looks like crap because of a bad part that is scratching the crap out of the windows. Well, they will replace all for and I will get them to redo the tint on the windows as it came with it from the factory.

Another issue, ticking noise in the engine, very common on 328i series specially the 2008 and very annoying, they will also fix that.

I am really hoping that all this issue will be resolved. Tired of going back and forth the dealership for repair when I was only suppose to make a trip there once a year for service. This is just terrible.

I'll update when available.
my LCI 328 does this shyt! so disappointing. I first felt it when I put the aftermarket wheels and it was raining so I thought it was just the rain or the new wheels but it shouldnt be!. but it keeps happening when the pavement is dry. my dam car also scrtaches up the tint, it is so dam frustrating that you have a "BMW" with these problems brand new out of the dam lot. I could have bout a dam KIA and would have never gave me any of these issues!!!

so dam SAD!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 09:37 PM   #56
npinibir2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkick08 View Post
my LCI 328 does this shyt! so disappointing. I first felt it when I put the aftermarket wheels and it was raining so I thought it was just the rain or the new wheels but it shouldnt be!. but it keeps happening when the pavement is dry. my dam car also scrtaches up the tint, it is so dam frustrating that you have a "BMW" with these problems brand new out of the dam lot. I could have bout a dam KIA and would have never gave me any of these issues!!!

so dam SAD!
window scratching, take it to the dealer and they will fix it including the tint. I will update this thread when the droning and vibration is fixed with their solution. They might have switched manufacturer because of the crisis. Lots of shops went belly up.

You're right, so dam SAD.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #57
lcs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i LCI

I took it in for a test run with the shop foreman and he told me that this is because the idle revs are too low. He will take it up 50 rpms for me and I hope it will cure the problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #58
npinibir2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcs View Post
I took it in for a test run with the shop foreman and he told me that this is because the idle revs are too low. He will take it up 50 rpms for me and I hope it will cure the problem.
I just tried it. normal idle is 650. Tried it at 700 and it's still there. It makes a big difference though at 1000 rpms but then again, for me, that is too high and it doesn't get rid of the problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #59
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
I also brought my 2007 335i and I told him my car doesn't make that nose and he said that it was different engine and different suspension. He suggested to check another 328i to compare apples to apples.
That absurd, my 335 has this problem.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 08:51 AM   #60
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Shit, and all this time I thought the shop used crappy tint material. One more problem to get fixed in 4000 miles.
2020 M340
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #61
npinibir2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
Shit, and all this time I thought the shop used crappy tint material. One more problem to get fixed in 4000 miles.
The dealer fixed the windows and the tint. woohoo. Maybe they did it because they knew I was getting frustrated with them. lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #62
lcs
Lieutenant
Rep

maybe I should just cancel the appointment to raise the idle revs since it doesn't solve the problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #63
npinibir2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
maybe I should just cancel the appointment to raise the idle revs since it doesn't solve the problem.
I'd say go with it. Let them make a fool out of themselves by guesing. Who knows, it might work for you. But, the argument is, why does your car have to be 50rpms higher than all the other BMW's out there? If other 3 series are functioning correctly with 650rpms idle, why should your car be any different. I am guessing that there will be a recall about this problem. The question is, when.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 11:19 PM   #64
lcs
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'd say go with it. Let them make a fool out of themselves by guesing. Who knows, it might work for you. But, the argument is, why does your car have to be 50rpms higher than all the other BMW's out there? If other 3 series are functioning correctly with 650rpms idle, why should your car be any different. I am guessing that there will be a recall about this problem. The question is, when.
lol alright, guess I will go and at least do it so theres a record in file incase something pops up in the future. Seems like after 3months of owning this car and having this problem from the beginning I kind of gotten used to it. But sometimes I just want it to be perfect...lol the appointment wouldn't happen till oct 7 because i wanted a loaner and it takes longer for one. I will for sure update if they have a fix.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 11:31 PM   #65
npinibir2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
lol alright, guess I will go and at least do it so theres a record in file incase something pops up in the future. Seems like after 3months of owning this car and having this problem from the beginning I kind of gotten used to it. But sometimes I just want it to be perfect...lol the appointment wouldn't happen till oct 7 because i wanted a loaner and it takes longer for one. I will for sure update if they have a fix.
yup, get it documented. I think my appt is before your appt for the new ps unit. I'll update with result. there's gotta be owners there that is having this issue but just not complaining yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #66
npinibir2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraggy View Post
OK, here's the latest. After getting my wife's car from the dealer to have the window trim and the tint fixed. I drove the car tonight for the first time and rolled the windows down. I am so disappointed and pissed that the dealership not only lied but also falsified the document. They did not replace the window trim, they removed it. Now there is a gap wide enough that you can actually see the inside of the door. No more protection from things to fall in there. In the docement, it state, "Removing and installing both front door trim panels", "Removing and installing both rear door trim panels".

I think they owe me some money as I paid for the damn door trim panels.

Or should I just talk to a lawyer. This is BS.
Appreciate 0