E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Replacing upper control arms

10-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Dannyboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Replacing upper control arms

Need a little help. I was just told by the dealer after some routing service, that my thrust arm bushings need to be replaced, They want to charge me 680.00 for this!

I don't plan on having them do that, and after reading some stuff on here. I see its better to replace the whole upper control arm. I was torn between the Meyle HD and the M3. After finding a good price on the M3's, I plan on getting these.

My question is would I be ok replacing just the upper(thrust) control arms? Do I NEED to do the lowers too since I'm going with the M3? Or will I be ok with just replacing the uppers?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

They usually sell as a kit so whilst you're in there, why not just replace both the upper and lower? It can only help to improve the handling of your car and doesn't really cost that much more.

Also, as you'll be changing the control arms to the M3 ones, don't forget that you'll also need to get a new M3 headlight adjustment rod as well. Whether or not you'll need to do this if you only do the upper arms I don't know.
      10-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
Dannyboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Thanks for the response.

I just got slammed with a water pump that failed on me, a new set of snow tires, and the thrust bushings. I cant swing the upper and lower arms!

Dealer said I just needed bushings but I'm going for the whole upper arm. I know its best to get both the upper and the lower but would be I screwing something upif I only get the uppers? Would I see any improvements with just the uppers? And what is this headlight adjustment rod all about?
Appreciate 0