E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Metallic Ticking noise coming from engine?

03-30-2007, 10:00 PM   #287
ecgtplayer
GO325BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary328xi View Post
The next time you take a recording of the noise with you and demand respect if they try to be a..holes.
Yeah, I told them that...but they say that doesnt work:mad:
They said they have to listen it in person...
so they want me to re-book a appointment and leave my car there for a night
They also doesnt provide me a loaner car because im under 25
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2007, 10:18 PM   #288
gary328xi
JetInsp
Rep
Drives: 07 328 XI & 335i

[QUOTE=ecgtplayer;819683]Yeah, I told them that...but they say that doesnt work:mad:
They said they have to listen it in person...
so they want me to re-book a appointment and leave my car there for a night
They also doesnt provide me a loaner car because im under 25[/QUOE]

I went through the same BS. Just be patient and follow thru. Call BMWNA make sure they log your complain. Read thru the entire thread there is tons of info how to handle this situation.

As of now i'm smiling because new car is on order.....
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2007, 10:26 PM   #289
klinkerklu
Respect my Authoritay
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi ED

Garage List
2006 330xi ED  [0.00]
Angry

:mad: :mad: :mad:
Noise came back yesterday.
Can anyone please explain to me why the lifters continue to collapse?
This repair is one week old.
Seriously, anyone?
Car will be going in for the 4th time once we make another appointment...
      03-31-2007, 10:39 PM   #290
gary328xi
JetInsp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinkerklu View Post
:mad: :mad: :mad:
Noise came back yesterday.
Can anyone please explain to me why the lifters continue to collapse?
This repair is one week old.
Seriously, anyone?
Car will be going in for the 4th time once we make another appointment...
Ok i'll try. At low RPM the oil pump is not putting out enough pressure especially when it is very cold. As of now i don't think there is a permanent fix.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2007, 11:13 PM   #291
klinkerklu
Respect my Authoritay
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi ED  [0.00]
^Yea, but 75% it happens to us on warm days (60F+), after we reach our destination. In our case neither the outside temp or oil temp has been a factor.
Town driving definitely exacerbates it (ie, driving betw. 1-4K RPMs).
So since the oil pump is mechanical, does the engine speed determine the rate of the pump, and therefore there is less pressure at lower RPMs?
But wouldn't that mean everyone would be having these problems?
Sorry, I am just a biological scientist chick here trying to understand mechanical engineering...
      04-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #292
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
... Sorry, I am just a biological scientist chick here trying to understand mechanical engineering...
ah don't sweat it. If you can wrap your head around cell bio and genetics, you can figure out cars. I got my degree in Biology too. I like to give my buddy (automotive mechanical engineer) sh*t about how engineering is the "lesser" of the two sciences...
(J/K, got nothing but for engineers... especially good ones)

... seriously though, you can figure out cars. I learned a lot helping by helping my dad when I was growing up. However, nowadays How Stuff Works has a great automotive section.

As to your question, I have a counter question for you. How many miles does your car have, and when's the last time you had your oil changed?

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #293
klinkerklu
Respect my Authoritay
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi ED  [0.00]
^ haha, trust me, I get shit all the time from my brother, the Astrophysicist.
According to him, if it's not physics, it's not science. So I've told him not to come crying to me when he needs a cure for cancer

Anyway, oil was changed at 6,500 miles, clatter started around 8,000 & the car now has 11,500.
Thanks for the link...
      04-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #294
Arrowhead
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

First, hello to everyone. It's my fisrt post.

I own a 325 and now also has the ticking issue (2775 miles). Last week I dropped my car to Fremont BMW be4 I went to work. The lady wanted me to leave the car overnight, so they can check and hear the ticking sound next morning. But the lady refused to give me either loaner car or rental car. Not even give me a ride. It's only 10 mins from my work! I read the whole pages and I am 29. I didn't know BMW won't give loaner car if under 25. Anyway, she said they only provide cars for major service. So she suggested me make another appointment and have my co-worker come with me! WTF!

This time I have the sound recording and printing pages from this thread. Can some one recommend a dealer for me? Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 10:42 PM   #295
klinkerklu
Respect my Authoritay
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi ED  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
First, hello to everyone. It's my fisrt post.

I own a 325 and now also has the ticking issue (2775 miles). Last week I dropped my car to Fremont BMW be4 I went to work. The lady wanted me to leave the car overnight, so they can check and hear the ticking sound next morning. But the lady refused to give me either loaner car or rental car. Not even give me a ride. It's only 10 mins from my work! I read the whole pages and I am 29. I didn't know BMW won't give loaner car if under 25. Anyway, she said they only provide cars for major service. So she suggested me make another appointment and have my co-worker come with me! WTF!

This time I have the sound recording and printing pages from this thread. Can some one recommend a dealer for me? Many thanks.
Welcome! Sorry your post deals with this engine crap. I say crap because we have been dealing with it since December and still have no resolution. We have been working with Stevens Creek, and I know they have had other e9x's in for the problem.
Another member here dth656, used Prestige BMW in Sonoma county. He is the only one I know of that has the problem and gotten it taken care of pretty expediently.
We considered hauling it up there for that very reason, and now kind of wish we had gone through the extra trouble.
-GL
      04-11-2007, 01:23 PM   #296
Arrowhead
Private
Rep

Quote:
We considered hauling it up there for that very reason, and now kind of wish we had gone through the extra trouble.
-GL
Hello there, count me in! Also, I will still try Fremont BMW next week since it's close to my place and work. I will keep you guys update.

It kinda sounds dumb and probably nothing to do with it, but I think I should share it. I also own a leased 325 from last June. I drive it whatever the way I like and enjoy the car every time I get in. Now the car is still totally problem free and runs so smooth as day 1. Then 2 months later, I purchased another 325 for my wife since I really enjoy the car. This time I did the soft break-in and drove like grandma to that car, but then this engine crap happened to that car! Damn! I should've found this site earlier to know this issue be4 I bought another 325!!!

I am just curious and maybe we can start an new thread and do the head count. "How many ppl w/ hard or no break-in has ticking issue v.s ppl w/ soft break-in?"
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #297
wp326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Arrowhead, where do you work? i am at metron.
I work 5min from Fremont BMW, and bought a '06 330i from there in Feb.
I saw this thread after i made the purchase, been pretty worried about my car having this crappy issue ever since. Now i am at 1k miles, I haven't heard anything yet. fingers crossed.
btw, the production is june 2006. Just starting to punch it hard since 900miles.
I let it warm up until rpm drops down to like 500 or so before driving it. I am not sure if this helps.

Last edited by wp326; 04-11-2007 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: EDIT
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 12:49 AM   #298
klinkerklu
Respect my Authoritay
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi ED  [0.00]
Quote:
Hello there, count me in! Also, I will still try Fremont BMW next week since it's close to my place and work. I will keep you guys update.

It kinda sounds dumb and probably nothing to do with it, but I think I should share it. I also own a leased 325 from last June. I drive it whatever the way I like and enjoy the car every time I get in. Now the car is still totally problem free and runs so smooth as day 1. Then 2 months later, I purchased another 325 for my wife since I really enjoy the car. This time I did the soft break-in and drove like grandma to that car, but then this engine crap happened to that car! Damn! I should've found this site earlier to know this issue be4 I bought another 325!!!

I am just curious and maybe we can start an new thread and do the head count. "How many ppl w/ hard or no break-in has ticking issue v.s ppl w/ soft break-in?"
It's not a break in issue. Our first 2k were driven hard in Europe. Since then my husband drives the car like he's on the track everyday. Because of the randomness of all the people involved in this thread, I suspect it's a retarded engine issue which BMW has yet to identify, and has nothing to do with what/ how we drive.
      04-12-2007, 01:51 AM   #299
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

^ +1

Six Sigma fans unite, for we are all experiencing the bane of variation.

... my car's been ticking more of late. I'm going in next Wednesday for a couple other things, so they'll take a look at it (hopefully).

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 09:56 AM   #300
gary328xi
JetInsp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ages944 View Post
^ +1

... my car's been ticking more of late. I'm going in next Wednesday for a couple other things, so they'll take a look at it (hopefully).
Good luck...Hopefully no pain.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #301
Arrowhead
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ages944 View Post
^ +1

Good luck to you and me..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #302
Arrowhead
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp326 View Post
I let it warm up until rpm drops down to like 500 or so before driving it. I am not sure if this helps.
wp326, that's exactly how I did, but..:mad:. I should've just leased the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #303
wp326
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

should have just gone to Honda next door. oh well. I like bimmer.
if it breaks, damn, take it to the dealer. after 30 days and still no fix. call it a lemon. and get your money back. someone on this thread has got their car replaced. Until i hear that awful ticking, i am loving it.

You warm it up too. humm. may be i should just driving it like stole it.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 05:20 PM   #304
Arrowhead
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp326 View Post
should have just gone to Honda next door. oh well. I like bimmer.
if it breaks, damn, take it to the dealer. after 30 days and still no fix. call it a lemon. and get your money back. someone on this thread has got their car replaced. Until i hear that awful ticking, i am loving it.

You warm it up too. humm. may be i should just driving it like stole it.
I am not familiar with handling the CA lemon law..but if it's just like you said, then it's time for 335 or IS 350
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2007, 11:34 AM   #305
gary328xi
JetInsp
Rep

Quote:
I am not familiar with handling the CA lemon law..but if it's just like you said, then it's time for 335 or IS 350
Just do it ! i did 335i baby. I believe CA has a very good lemon law similar to NJ.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2007, 02:54 PM   #306
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

hey guys,

i live and work in fremont as well, although for the past 2 months or so i've been in seattle, so havent driven my car much (but so far ticking has not returned). Prestige BMW did give me the run around the first time i took the car there (i.e. they replaced ONLY the lifters, and the noise was even worse....even when i went to pick up my car!) i was told that its 'normal'. have never been to Fremont BMW; i was put off by their sales staff when i was shopping around.

and to the six sigma folks, yeah this shoud call for a black belt to look at the production processes for the affected parts. i'm assuming that the tolerances for those parts are not set high enough, hence the variation that makes it into the finished product. just a thought
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #307
klinkerklu
Respect my Authoritay
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330xi ED  [0.00]
Question oil consumption?

For those of you who actually had work done on their car, I was wondering who got an oil change out of it.

We didn't. I am curious because this morning I got the low oil warning light, & when I checked, it was at minimum. I had to add a quart (maybe more when I check it again later--) even though last month before I took it to have the lifters replaced it read max level (like it always has).

It just seems weird that it dropped so much in less than a month when it never has before...

:mad: [Also the goddamn ticking was present on the drive in this morning]:mad:
      04-19-2007, 10:54 AM   #308
flicks28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i; 2006 325i

Quote:

:mad: [Also the goddamn ticking was present on the drive in this morning]:mad:
I would be pretty angry now. I would seriously begin looking at your states lemon law. How many miles are you at now on the car??

When I took my car in for the first ticking noise, my oil was low. I drove the car about 1000 miles from first hearing the noise until I took it in. I do not know what my oil level was at when first hearing the ticking sound, but I assume I was in the acceptable range.

If you have your oil low indicator on, I would certainly put a quart in today. The ticking sound we have, I have been told there is a very thin layer of oil between the metallic parts which is good, however if you have low oil, that thin layer may not be there and it could be metal on metal.
Appreciate 0