E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > White Powder!

06-07-2008, 05:00 AM   #45
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Glad to see the problem has now been sorted out, Mark.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #46
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

hello UK members, I am in the US of A and I have been following this thread. My car is out of warranty and I could not locate the part# 64119179802 (must be car/region specific) on real oem. I was wondering which one do I use if I was to replace this myself?

This is what is listed for my car on real oem #3 is the evaporator but it has 2 part #, which one is the new one 9anyone know how to read/decifer on realoem?

Thanks.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=64&fg=30&hl=4
      06-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #47
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit

there is another threaad about this I just read it yesterday!!! it turns out that denso makes some of these ac units and from my understanding the condensor? is aluminium and corroding? and they are aware of the problem and fixing it quickly! im sure that stuff is not good to inhale
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 01:10 PM   #48
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedoutbimmer View Post
there is another threaad about this I just read it yesterday!!! it turns out that denso makes some of these ac units and from my understanding the condensor? is aluminium and corroding? and they are aware of the problem and fixing it quickly! im sure that stuff is not good to inhale
evaporator not condenser
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 01:15 PM   #49
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post
evaporator not condenser
hey for pulling this out of my ass I was close enough lol
yea but some one else just posted a nice write up on it try doing a
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #50
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i MSport > Merc C220CDI

I forgot about this thread, last week when I started my car it blew out like a bloody snow storm!! Couldn't believe how bad it was! But I thought I couldn't be assed with the hassle as my new one was on the way! oops, guess someone else will have to deal with it!

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #51
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedoutbimmer View Post
hey for pulling this out of my ass I was close enough lol
yea but some one else just posted a nice write up on it try doing a
No need,i have no white stuff on me
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 01:58 AM   #52
92-2T
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 335i SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03 View Post
hello UK members, I am in the US of A and I have been following this thread. My car is out of warranty and I could not locate the part# 64119179802 (must be car/region specific) on real oem. I was wondering which one do I use if I was to replace this myself?

This is what is listed for my car on real oem #3 is the evaporator but it has 2 part #, which one is the new one 9anyone know how to read/decifer on realoem?

Thanks.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=64&fg=30&hl=4
I cannot answer your questions directly and am not a US legal expert, but would suggest that as this was a known manufacturing fault your statutory consumer rights override the manufactures warranty expiring. I would check with your particular State’s consumer rights situation and emphasize the health liability issues of breathing in a fine powder.

It is a big job, taking the Dealership with all the facilities and tools nearly two days.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2008, 06:39 AM   #53
Rinos
Private First Class
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: E92 320i coupe

Problem for me is the bulletin states September 9, 2007 as last date of production of cars with this problem. My car is November, 2007 built. How is this possible?
      06-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #54
discostu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Garage List
Just had mine in with the dealer (Cooper Colchester) to repair the white powder issue under warranty. I handed them the information bulletin when I left the car and they were very good about it. I think I will have the car back tomorrow so will be looking out for any badly fitted pieces or creaks/rattles etc

Many thanks for the useful info - it could have been a nightmare without this thread and documentation

Stu
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #55
orys
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Alpina D3

damn it!!!
i have this problem too. got the car as second hand from the UK and currently in Cyprus. What do i do? Shall i contact Alpina Germany to contact them over here? It is an Alpina D3.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #56
orys
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW Alpina D3

Alpina told me to go to a local dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 07:03 AM   #57
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M Sport

Sorry to resurrec this old thread but the problem is pertanent to me as mine has just started blowing this stuff out too.

I have seen the SIB report but states the years of manufacture are vehicles produced from May 31, 2006 to September 9, 2007. My car was REGISTERED in March 2006 so presumably was manufactured long before this start date but I am still suffering the same problem. I'm assuming that I would still be covered even though this report doesn't include me?

Also, did anyone find out whether breathing in this stuff is actually dangerous? It could quite well be a claim against BMW for more than a repair of the failed component and a bargaining tool for extras......
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #58
discostu
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Garage List
Can't comment on the health implications but I am sure it cannot be good. I didn't stress about when my car suffered this issue as I figured there was very little I could do/prove!

Is your car still under warranty? Mine was repaired under the main 3yr warranty but not sure if you are covered under extended policies??
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #59
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I've got the AUC warranty which Anneka says should cover this issue no problem. Its booked in for the end of the month so i'll let you all know what happens.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 01:02 PM   #60
mobileadam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d e92 M Sport

Hi Steve,

Does this occur very often on your car? I've had it once in three months so not sure whether I (or the dealer) could reproduce it. I think it occured after not using the car for a few days but can't exactly recall how long.

Thanks

Adam
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 01:50 PM   #61
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I've had it on and off for the past few weeks now. It started from nowhere really as it went cold about a month ago so I stopped using the aircon. When a week later it warmed up and I put the aircon on (using auto full blast) I was showered in white bits and I mean it was everywhere it was a right mess. I stopped using it thinking the exterior vents were blocked but on checking them they were fine. I didn't bother checking the micro filter as it was brand new (only fitted 3 months ago by BMW) and knew that had it have been coming from outside the filter would have caught it. After using the aircon over the past week the bits have started to tail off, it certainly isn't as bad as it was at first but considering this has happened once it'll mean somethings gone and needs replacing, especially if the aluminium oxide causes any health risk when inhaling.

Now I find out its quite a common problem with the older 3ers with a faulty part made by Denso. When my car was in today for something else I showed a BMW techy and he looked at the bits in the car and said there have been a few brought in lately with this issue. He said it shouldn't be a problem warranty wise so I booked it in for the end of the month but they need to do a quick physical diagnostic check first to see if this failed evaporator is the cause. I believe this is just a case of removing the radio and heater controls and checking something behind there and once confirmed the warranty claim goes in, gets approved by BMW and the whole dash is removed and component replaced.

It seems a ball ache of a job just for a small part but considering an aircon unit should last the life of the car (and is needed in the current hot weather) this is a pretty poor showing from BMW. Then again my DSC unit has just failed and I've had a clutch and flywheel replaced all in the space of 9 months of ownership so nothing surprises me.

As far as I am aware you don't need to replicate the snow effect at the time of inspection. They will do a physical check and will be able to see in the cabin and all the air vents the white powder so you should be ok. If you're under warranty I'd get it done because outside of warranty this is three days worth of labour and parts and at £120.00 an hour for labour thats a lot of cash they'll want.

Last edited by SteveF1; 06-17-2010 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #62
mobileadam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d e92 M Sport

Thanks Steve.

I wonder if BMW fail to find what they are looking for during the diagnostic check they charge you? I read earlier that they remove the few bits to actuallysee if the unit is made by Denso and then obviously replace it if it is.

I've also got power mirrors that randomly move every time you unlock the car (up, down, left and right) so I'll probably book it in for both as I'm covered by AUC warranty.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #63
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Anneka from Synter stated a dealer may request you pay for the diagnostic check as a 'formality' but that due to this being a known problem it will almost certainly be found to be faulty and therefore replaced. However, there is the possibility they will charge you.

This happened to me at the beginning of the year when my clutch juddered. The dealer wanted me to pay for two hours labour if they found no warranty covered fault but after kicking off with the service manager the dealer backed off and said they'll cover the cost no matter what. I assume this will be the case with this, it certainly will be for my part. If they find mine not to be covered by warranty then they won't see a penny out of me this side of a court case anyway.

From what Bowker states the initial physical diagnostic should only take half an hour so its £60 maximum anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 03:29 PM   #64
SteveF1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I don't know if it makes a difference but since buying the car last August (when it was just 3yrs old) the aircon has always smelt musty. This has been reported to the dealer twice now, once last October and then again this April and on both occasions they stated it wasn't a warranty issue and masked the smell with a bacteria killing odoriser as a 'goodwill gesture'. It was only on the second occasion that they said the aircon needed recharging but getting cold has never been the problem.

However, over the past few months when the aircon has been turned on there has been an instant musty smell before warm very damp air has flooded the cabin causing the windows to mist up before clearing again quickly.

Now is this a case of the faulty evaporator causing this musty smell or is it the case that the aircon hasn't been recharged by the previous owner which has caused the evaporator to fail and thus caused it to blow out aluminium oxide?

If they end up replacing the evaporator is this the area were the aircon system starts getting smelly and causing the bacteria to build up as this may be a case of two birds one stone.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #65
chris1440
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 320d M Sport

Hi, another ressurection here, but after having my e92 for a few months I have noticed that my vents are puffing out white powder like there is no tomorrow. The car was registered in Nov 2007 so I am guessing it was made between those dates mentioned above (up to september 9th 2007).
Obviously my car is out of manufacturers warranty but I do have a 3rd party warranty that should cover air con. But they will only cover £40 an hour for labour (BMW dealer is £120 an hour) Do I try it on with BMW and try to claim because it is a known fault or will they fob me off and I'll have to pay?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 05:09 PM   #66
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

I have seen this on an early 2008 car.

A year ago when looking for a AUC I test drove a 135i at the local shop, it has this white powder all over the interior.

I walked away for a couple of reasons but they couldnt expalin it to me and it bothered me too.
Very much like corrosion of an alloy part IMO.