E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Private Owners For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Cars for Sale > 1996 BMW 328i / 5-speed / ~203k miles / $3,750

03-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
jon_335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

1996 BMW 328i / 5-speed / ~203k miles / $3,750

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
Sold

Or Best Offer

Item Interest
Grad school completed + job acquired = new e92 335i for me! And that means it's time to sell the ol' e36.

Up for sale is my 1996 BMW 328i sedan. It's a 5-speed sedan with about 203k miles on the clock. I believe I am the third owner (maybe 4th?) and I have owned it for the past 7 years and 75k miles. She is in good shape for her age - she runs strong and is a blast to drive, but won't win you any awards at the car show. The car been garage-kept for the majority of time that I've owned it. This car has never disappointed me . . . whether on my daily commute or running hot laps at VIR. Even in her old age, she still manages to put a smile on my face when I drive it. But sadly, it's time to let her go. If it weren't for my student loans, I would keep this car and dedicate it to the track.

Below are some highlights (and lowlights) of this car. I've tried to keep track of everything I have done to the car. Please feel free to message me for more details and/or questions. Price is $3,750. I'm willing to negotiate, but please no low-ballers or tire-kickers.

Upgrades / mods
Mechanical
Ireland Engineering cat-back exhaust (oem exhaust included)
M3 suspension including struts, springs, sway bars and control arms (came from a 98 - no leaks, but is definitely tired)
Powerflex control arm bushings and rear trailing arm bushings
Rogue Engineering rear shock mounts
Aluminum radiator
Fan delete
Stainless steel brake lines
Hawk HT-10 front brake pads (track pads)
Solid rubber engine mounts (not installed)
Solid rubber transmission mounts (not installed)
Electric radiator fan (not installed)

Appearance
35% tinted windows (NC legal)
Euro-style taillights
Clear front corner markers
HID headlamps with angel eyes (4400K, I think) (oem lights included)
17” BMW M68 wheels with a staggered setup (front tires are General Exclaim and rears are Yokohama s.drive) (oem wheels included)

Interior
Blaupunkt Acapulco MP54 head unit w/ aux input, cd player (plays mp3s)
XM radio antenna hard wired
Integrated garage door opener (if I can figure out how to unprogram it)

Maintenance (not inclusive)
Clutch @ 98k miles (before I bought it)
Red Line MTL (transmission) fluid and Red Line 75W90 (differential) fluid (Aug. ’08)
VANOS seals (July ’09)
Radiator hoses, thermostat (Feb. ’10)
Battery (Nov. ’11)
Water pump (Oct. ‘12)
Recent oil change with Castrol 5W40 (full synthetic since I’ve owned it)
Current Wake County, NC inspection

The Bad
Clear coat on the trunk lid is in bad shape. But the paint under it is good.
Overall paint is 6/10 - dings, scratches, etc. Looks great from 20 feet, though.
It’s slowly leaking power steering fluid. I think it just needs new fittings - the hoses appear to be OK
The OBC is missing many pixels
OBC errors: low coolant (could be old wiring or bad sensor), taillight & headlight failures (due to aftermarket lights).
Headliner is starting to sag
Tires have decent tread, but are making noise
Suspension is tired and worn, but not leaking
Front left fender liner / undertray / misc plastic bits are missing
One fog light is missing (I have it in a box)
Fog lights currently don’t work
Air pump and EGR valve are bad, which causes a CEL
Seat heaters only heat the back and not the butt
Car only came with the valet key (woks in ignition and doors, but not trunk)
Windshield washers do not work very well - I just replaced the pump, but that didn't seem to fix the issue.

In full disclosure, I have tracked and autocrossed this car several times. At these events I never have had a breakdown nor an incident. With a small investment, she either will be a solid daily driver for another 100k miles or a great track car … or even a great dual-purpose car. Any BMW enthusiast will love this car and I am sad to see it go. But it’s time to move on to something a little newer and a lot faster. I’ve done my best to be truthful and catch all of the highlights, but I haven’t covered every detail. I welcome pre-purchase inspections at buyer’s expense. Let me know if you have any questions and I will do my best to answer them. Thanks for looking.

$3,750 CASH obo / Located near Raleigh, NC

The wire with the 3.5mm plug is for plugging into your iPod or phone or sat radio. The other wire is the XM Radio antenna. I have a unit that clips to the vents, which I will include if I can find it.

2007 BMW 335i | Garner, North Carolina

Last edited by jon_335; 03-12-2013 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 0