E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Oil level at minimum related to o ring?

09-05-2021, 05:59 AM   #1
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Oil level at minimum related to o ring?

When I last did my oil change semi recently I noticed both oil filter housing spindle o rings were gone. Luckily I had accidentally ordered one previously which was the larger of the two. So the filter housing on my vehicle currently has 2 o rings but is missing the bottom small one on the spindle. What issues could this have been causing with both of them missing? Because I remember when checking the oil at that time it was always at a good level.

Well now I'm driving around with just one missing o ring and at first my oil level was a tad over the max mark which didn't both me too much. Well the last couple days I've checked twice and noticed it was at the minimum mark. Could this have anything to do with the o-ring missing? Or maybe im just checking it when cold but needed to be hot or vice versa.

Other details are I put renewable lube synxtra oil in for this last change which I thought was supposed to be some of the best oil with the best specs around.... which at least by specs it seems to be. NOACK is 4 I believe which is really good, the best I've seen(key word SEEN, not all producers share these specs), HTHS of 3 which is ok, TBN of 10 or so which is good.. and this in particular is Bio SynXtra HD Plus SHP 5w40.

I guess my real question is out of all of this, whether my oil just seems low because of the missing o ring, or it is low because the oil burned, do I really need to spend this much on boutique oil? Granted I don't have a bypass filter either. The next oil I was considering trying out was the hotshots blackýftlaw oil which is for deleted diesels. Are these expensive oils really going to benefit mean the long run in any way? Or should I just stick to a more basic oil and an additive? I could get rhe rotella t6 and do the stiction eliminator or should I just get the rotella t6 alone and focus on regular oil changes. Also what is the best oil change interval? Other than rotella t6 is there a better oil you guys have found for deleted 335ds that doesn't break the bank?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 01:23 PM   #2
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

You are overthinking and over analyzing this. Use good quality oil. Rotella, Pennzoil Euro, LiquiMoly etc. forget the sticktion garbage. Make sure you have proper level and change your oil every 10k km or 6k mi. Btw, both Mahle and Febi filters come with all three rubber rings and copper crush washer.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 04:08 AM   #3
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D, V-10 Touareg Diesel

I just want to comment about over filling the oil. Many people think overfilling the oil level is not that bad. If you overfill the oil enough, the crankshaft can start hitting the oil in the oil pan. This will cause air entrapment in the oil which turns the liquid oil into an oil froth (oil foam). The oil froth is then picked up by the oil pump and is circulated through the engine. The oil froth does not lubricate the engine nearly as well as liquid oil and the engine can be destroyed. This is why all manufacturers have a maximum oil level along with the minimum oil level. Some manufacturers have a large safety margin between the max level of the oil and the point that damage can occur. Some manufacturers have a small safety margin. It is never wise to over fill the oil by very much.
Also always check the oil on a level surface after the engine has been turned off for at least 5 minutes to allow the oil to drain back down to the oil pan.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 12:15 PM   #4
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
You are overthinking and over analyzing this. Use good quality oil. Rotella, Pennzoil Euro, LiquiMoly etc. forget the sticktion garbage. Make sure you have proper level and change your oil every 10k km or 6k mi. Btw, both Mahle and Febi filters come with all three rubber rings and copper crush washer.
I was short on funds this last go around so I ordered a cheaper oil filter on ebay, I can't remember the brand. But I did order it because the picture they advertised showed the two spindle o rings as well as the larger one and the crush washer too. What did I end up getting?

Just the filter, large o ring, and the crush washer. Of course.

Well thanks for that info I really appreciate it and will remember for the future. Is it an emergency to get that one small spindle o ring or should I take my time in getting it? On a scale of don't worry at 0 to hurry tfu at 10 what would you rate it?

Also as im not really buying into the boutique oil bull crap anymore I just tried to think logically and went for a LL-01 oil. I went looking for rotella t6 at walmart first but that brand seemed to be sold out and so I looked for pennzoil and that was mostly gone too. I saw valvoline and castrol euro but the former was ll-04. So I decided on Castrol Edge euro car 5w-40... $25 for 5 quarts. And I needed half to get my dipstick to the max. Also right away I noticed a quiet engine and way less vibrations so that was great.

As far as diesel additives are you a believer in them?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 12:20 PM   #5
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomnavigator View Post
I just want to comment about over filling the oil. Many people think overfilling the oil level is not that bad. If you overfill the oil enough, the crankshaft can start hitting the oil in the oil pan. This will cause air entrapment in the oil which turns the liquid oil into an oil froth (oil foam). The oil froth is then picked up by the oil pump and is circulated through the engine. The oil froth does not lubricate the engine nearly as well as liquid oil and the engine can be destroyed. This is why all manufacturers have a maximum oil level along with the minimum oil level. Some manufacturers have a large safety margin between the max level of the oil and the point that damage can occur. Some manufacturers have a small safety margin. It is never wise to over fill the oil by very much.
Also always check the oil on a level surface after the engine has been turned off for at least 5 minutes to allow the oil to drain back down to the oil pan.
So there's a gap for the min and max areas on the 335d district. As long as its not over rhe max gap completely then I should be good right?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 06:55 PM   #6
Tomnavigator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D, V-10 Touareg Diesel

If you are driving without the o-ring. I would go to walmart, autozone, pep boys, etc. and buy an oil filter and add the missing o-ring from it. You could then just reuse that o-ring next oil change instead of replacing it. Reusing the o-ring is not the best thing to do but is much better than running without the o-ring.
As far as running with too much oil. The only people that know for sure how much oil is too much are the ones that ruined their engines by running too much. I personally would not worry about a little over.
When you replace the o-ring you could start your engine just prior to opening the oil filter housing before all the oil drains back down into the engine and remove some oil (one or two ounces) from the filter housing. Just pulling out the filter to add the o-ring will probably drain an ounce.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 03:27 PM   #7
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomnavigator View Post
If you are driving without the o-ring. I would go to walmart, autozone, pep boys, etc. and buy an oil filter and add the missing o-ring from it. You could then just reuse that o-ring next oil change instead of replacing it. Reusing the o-ring is not the best thing to do but is much better than running without the o-ring.
As far as running with too much oil. The only people that know for sure how much oil is too much are the ones that ruined their engines by running too much. I personally would not worry about a little over.
When you replace the o-ring you could start your engine just prior to opening the oil filter housing before all the oil drains back down into the engine and remove some oil (one or two ounces) from the filter housing. Just pulling out the filter to add the o-ring will probably drain an ounce.
The problem is that the o-ring is not the big one that goes around the top, its the smallest one that goes on the bottom spindle. Originally it just had the top one until I changed the oil the first time when I noticed both of the smaller o rings on the spindle were missing, which was when I got lucky because I had accidentally ordered the larger of the two and put it on then.

But if its not something thats gonna destroy the engine I can order it here soon from the dealership. Or maybe not. Lol ill just order it to the apartment.
Appreciate 0