E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Pls help?? Misfires under boost after reinstalling Rev3

11-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
Baracus135i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Pls help?? Misfires under boost after reinstalling Rev3

Pls help? Have been having major issues with misfires after re-installing my Procede Rev3?
Recently had both turbo’s replaced after a loud police siren noise. Car has been running stock for several months as I was fighting with BMW to cover under warranty.
So last weekend I decide to start re-installing some mods, just the Rev 3 and AR downpipes. However I've now hit a major issue, car is misfiring intermittently when boosting over 10-12 PSI?? Seems especially prominent when temp is still between 150-175F and when doing a logging run from low rpms, and just as boost hits about 10-12psi? When engine is fully warm misfire is intermittent, but when moderately warm sometime misfires actually persist until I switch back to map 0 or otherwise I have to completely re-start? However once back in stock mode after a restart, car runs perfectly fine without misfire??

Due to my altitude and poor fuel quality (stay in Johannesburg South Africa at 5700ft) I decided to start trouble shooting conservatively with stg 0 at a start boost setting of 10, with the 11-25 maps I had loaded previously, just for consistency sake. After the first few misfires I then re-installed the firmware and maps (making sure they were the correct and compatible versions) with user interface 5.32, misfires still persisted though? Then after speaking to Robert I switched to the new 9-10 firmware and maps using user interface 5.34, and still the same thing?

Then started looking at hardware, first thing I did was to pull the plugs, they still look relatively good as I had them replaced 3000 miles ago and have been running stock since then.
Had a spare coil pack at home so swapped it between cylinders, but misfire codes still appeared in multiple cylinders (see below)?

Logged the car on several runs (logs below), some didn’t even reach higher rpm’s as was misfiring so badly. Seems AFR’s oscillate/jump to lean when misfires occur (have highlighted with a ring in the below logs), even flat line at 20 when misfires persist?

So the way I see it, it could only be one of the following in order of probability:

- Injectors (unfortunately I can’t seem to load INPA on my 64bit laptop?)
- HP Fuel pump
- O2 sensors
- Plugs (next I’m going to swap these out)
- Vanos
- Coil packs
- Procede hardware issue

Have eliminated bad fuel as I filled up again at a different filling station

Any suggestions on what to test/try or log next? Really don’t want to uninstall the DP’s as they are such a PITA to remove

[IMG]http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy38/Baracus135i/Log412-11-2012.jpg[/IMG

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Baracus135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Bump!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
slostjoe
NEWBICON
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335is

I had this problem with the procede as well and was never able to find a solution. I would try your plugs first if they have never been changed. Have you sent these logs to Vishnu?
      11-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

In regard to plugs, sometimes new isn't always necessary, make sure they are gapped correctly is what is important.

Otherwise I'm not sure where else I can help so free bump.

Edit-Have you considered going back to an older firmware and map that was stable? Also are you able to get race gas in your country for testing purposes to rule out octane issues? (100+ octane).

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 11-14-2012 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Baracus135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Have you considered going back to an older firmware and map that was stable?
Hi Jeff many thanks, yep intitially loaded up 11-25 with pro5v110 firmware which, worked flawlessly previously
Quote:
Also are you able to get race gas in your country for testing purposes to rule out octane issues? (100+ octane).
Was also gonna install my PWM kit, but haven't yet as wanted to sort the misfire out first. Boost is very low though as I was troubleshooting using stg0 and the min start boost setting of 10, had no problems with this before. However will get hold of some race fuel or octane booster just to test
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus135i View Post
Hi Jeff many thanks, yep intitially loaded up 11-25 with pro5v110 firmware which, worked flawlessly previouslyWas also gonna install my PWM kit, but haven't yet as wanted to sort the misfire out first. Boost is very low though as I was troubleshooting using stg0 and the min start boost setting of 10, had no problems with this before. However will get hold of some race fuel or octane booster just to test
Yes will i don think the octane is the concern here but I do recall someone having similar issues. Let me see if I can dig anything up cause I know it's frustrating.

I do recall people having misifires that would simply never go away even on the lowest of boost settings.

As you probably know and have troubleshooted it normally starts with, spark plugs, coil packs, injectors, intake valve cleaning, after that it starts getting tricky to troubleshoot.

Have you tried calling vishnu, I know the time difference might make that difficult.

Also, are you 100% certain the o2 sensors were installed correctly? In their appropriate location? It's common for them to be placed in the wrong bung hole.

Do you only have misfire codes, are there any other shadow codes?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
Baracus135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Have you tried calling vishnu, I know the time difference might make that difficult.
Yep, spoke to Robert yesterday morning (US time), and sent him the logs, still waiting for a reply though?
Quote:
Also, are you 100% certain the o2 sensors were installed correctly? In their appropriate location? It's common for them to be placed in the wrong bung hole.
Had one of the local BM dealership technicians do a private job and install the DP's for me, so I assume they were installed correctly. However was going to get them re-checked, but was thinking if they were swapped around would it not misfire in stock mode as well?? What are the usual symptoms when incorrectly installed?
Quote:
Do you only have misfire codes, are there any other shadow codes?
Checked with the BT cable and no other shadow codes, just the misfire ones
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Please excuse my ignorance but does your check engine light come on each time you have a misfire? And you then check the code and it shows misfire? Is that how you know you're getting misfires?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
Baracus135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25 View Post
Please excuse my ignorance but does your check engine light come on each time you have a misfire? And you then check the code and it shows misfire? Is that how you know you're getting misfires?
No engine check light thus far, am reading the codes either on the Procede or with the BT cable. However can immediately feel when it's misfiring, major hestitations when intermitent, and then if it persists it basically runs like a tractor on 4 or 5 cyclinders
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
Baracus135i
Enlisted Member
Rep

***Misfires Resolved***

So finally got round to changing my plugs this weekend, and good news the misfires are gone

Really though that after 3000 miles they would be fine, but had close look at the old plugs again and I could've of guessed it, seems BMW left one of the old plugs in, still had the Bosch logo in blue?? Which means it one of the original plugs, the logo on all the others was dark green
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus135i View Post
So finally got round to changing my plugs this weekend, and good news the misfires are gone

Really though that after 3000 miles they would be fine, but had close look at the old plugs again and I could've of guessed it, seems BMW left one of the old plugs in, still had the Bosch logo in blue?? Which means it one of the original plugs, the logo on all the others was dark green
That's good to hear.....but a bad plug in one cylinder would not explain why you were getting misfires in both banks = cylinder 6 and cylinder 2

Two completely different banks.

Perhaps the other cylinder misfired as a domino effect of the DME cutting fuel to the first one?

In any case I hope you remain misfire free

Do us a favour and post up in a couple of days to verify whether this worked. Sometimes problems go away initially only to rear their ugly heads later.

Been there....done that.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Where in Africa is this? Just to make sure it isn't indeed because of fuel quality... I don't really know what to expect there.
Appreciate 0