E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Aluminum Trim Problem

12-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
boris
Борис
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 n54 335i

Aluminum Trim Problem

Good Day all,

A couple weeks ago, I noticed that when I hit the engine start button, the trim moved with the button. What it feels like is the trim piece is loose.

After troubleshooting by looking up how to disassemble the trim, I noticed that the trim pushes into to the dashboard. Naturally, the first thing I did was try to push the trim in, but no avail.

Have you fellow e92 owners run into this problem? How was it solved?

I'm on the fence of taking off the trim altogether and putting it back in simply because the way it sits now its not a bad gap between the trim and the dashboard. I dont want to screw this up more without a plan.

In Winter Mode - Dunlop Wintersport 3D/Sport Edition Wheels
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
sammk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Coupe

If it's secured anything like the E46, there are retainers that you press into the dashboard, and the trim clips into the retainers. If the trim was ever removed the retainers may be damaged or loose. Happened on my E46 and I replaced a half dozen of them.

The only tricky part is manoeuvring the Start button and pulling the trim piece, but you should look for DIYs on this. Once you have the Start button and the trim out, replace the loose retainers on the dashboard and put everything back. You shouldn't need any special tools except for the trim removal tool (which you can substitute by bandaging insulation tape over a slim flat blade screwdriver). The retainers themselves are inexpensive, about a buck a piece tops.
      03-02-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
boris
Борис
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammk View Post
If it's secured anything like the E46, there are retainers that you press into the dashboard, and the trim clips into the retainers. If the trim was ever removed the retainers may be damaged or loose. Happened on my E46 and I replaced a half dozen of them.

The only tricky part is manoeuvring the Start button and pulling the trim piece, but you should look for DIYs on this. Once you have the Start button and the trim out, replace the loose retainers on the dashboard and put everything back. You shouldn't need any special tools except for the trim removal tool (which you can substitute by bandaging insulation tape over a slim flat blade screwdriver). The retainers themselves are inexpensive, about a buck a piece tops.

Found the culprit. You were absolutely right.

This is the one that is right next to the start/stop engine button. As I was taking the trim out, I came across broken pieces of this damn thing.

I went to ECS tuning to try to find the right trim pieces and They dont have any of the blue ones. Did they change in color?

If anyone can help with the link to the right one, i'd greatly appreciate it. All these damn things look the same to me.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
shamu2789
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 '07

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris View Post
Found the culprit. You were absolutely right.

This is the one that is right next to the start/stop engine button. As I was taking the trim out, I came across broken pieces of this damn thing.

I went to ECS tuning to try to find the right trim pieces and They dont have any of the blue ones. Did they change in color?

If anyone can help with the link to the right one, i'd greatly appreciate it. All these damn things look the same to me.
Had the same issue when I was vinyl wrapping my trim. You can either buy them from ECS and pay more for shipping than the actual product, or stop by a local dealership with the part number from real OEM.
Part number:11 Plug-in retainer 51457152442 $0.73

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-328..._Clip/ES17189/

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...85&hg=51&fg=95
      03-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
boris
Борис
United_States
Rep

You are a life saver. Thanks man. I'll have to stop by the dealer the next chance I get to pick one of these up.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
shamu2789
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris View Post
You are a life saver. Thanks man. I'll have to stop by the dealer the next chance I get to pick one of these up.
No problem. When you insert it, you have to also turn it clockwise with a flathead in order for it to stay in place when you slide the trim in. Good luck!
      03-20-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
boris
Борис
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamu2789 View Post
No problem. When you insert it, you have to also turn it clockwise with a flathead in order for it to stay in place when you slide the trim in. Good luck!
FYI...

Worked great.

Thanks for the help.

Hopefully this thread will help others as well!

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
shamu2789
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamu2789 View Post
FYI...

Worked great.

Thanks for the help.

Hopefully this thread will help others as well!
Anytime. Just happy to be able to help.