E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > Necessary to get xdrive in seattle?

07-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
rv77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-sport AW

Necessary to get xdrive in seattle?

Hi, I'm wondering if it's worth it to get a 335xi living in Seattle. I've never driven a bmw and never own RWD before. I'm looking at a 335i but not sure if I need the xdrive for winter driving. Also, is there any difference in the driving or power between xdrive and no xdrive. Any comments is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
RWD is more fun IMO, Xdrive is useful because you can also drive it in the snow. I don't have xDrive and have been fine in the rain, however, I don't drive it in the snow (I got stuck a couple of times..) I would say if you don't plan on driving it in the winter time much, get the RWD but if you want to be able to drive it during the winter, go for it... Keep in mind that xDrive eats up more gas than a RWD.

BTW, My friend has a xDrive 335i and stock for stock (against a RWD) xdrive will be faster from a standstill, but from a rolling start, the RWD will be faster.

ALSO... there are a lot of people on here that use their RWD's for winter driving as well.. They use a combination of sandbags in the truck and some good ass winter tires (Blizzaks).
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
rv77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-sport AW

Thanks for the comment. I've lived in Seattle for a long time and it only snows really bad a few times here that I can remember. I'm more concern about driving RWD in the rain since I've never own RWD before. I was doing a search and discovered that AWD does not have the sport suspension. I was planning on getting the m-sport package with the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv77 View Post
Thanks for the comment. I've lived in Seattle for a long time and it only snows really bad a few times here that I can remember. I'm more concern about driving RWD in the rain since I've never own RWD before. I was doing a search and discovered that AWD does not have the sport suspension. I was planning on getting the m-sport package with the car.
If the rain is your biggest concern, get the RWD. You just need to be a little more careful when driving in the rain. I haven't had a problem with my car in the rain, shit it's actually better than my moms FWD camry.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
barbados
First Lieutenant
Antigua and Barbuda
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I had an STi before my 335i and I don't miss AWD at all, I think it's overrated and less fun to drive. I think the tires matter more than the number of wheels that are powered. Oh yeah, the 335xi has more wheel gap too
Appreciate 0