E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2010 E93 No Power at Jump Start Terminal

02-03-2024, 03:55 PM   #1
gtrinker
Rep
Drives: BMW E93

2010 E93 No Power at Jump Start Terminal

There is some backstory I'll add below, but car won't start. Discovered that while there is 12 volts going to the center terminal on the distribution junction, there is no power at the jump port or the terminal going to the starter. I can buy a replacement, but it looks Iike a nightmare to change and if there where was short inside I'd expect a fuse to blow. Does anyone know if there are any electronics inside the part?

2010 328i, manual, bought used 117 miles.

Backstory: Car sat for 3 weeks with last week being 10 degrees (was away) . Prior week it rained hard. Went to start it and it didn't start, jumped it, it started. Next day dead. Was getting 14 volts while running. Went to replace the battery and the bottom of the battery was in a block of ice (need to clear the drain plugs) . Replaced battery, but didn't start the car (all lights on). Started a couple days later and it was dead. Battery charger indicted it was sulfated. Assumed it was a bad battery. Installed warranty replacement and car didn't start. That led us to the junction terminals under the hood by dumb luck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 09:10 AM   #2
gtrinker
Rep
Drives: BMW E93

Never mind, the battery terminal in the trunk was corroded due to water ingress. I ordered new cables.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 10:49 AM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrinker View Post
Never mind, the battery terminal in the trunk was corroded due to water ingress. I ordered new cables.
As you probably know:
"Transfer Points" in front of battery base will rust/short out if water is allowed to accumulate in battery well. Need to identify/ correct CAUSE of water ingress to prevent recurrence. Leak at R Tail Light seal is perhaps most common cause, or Roof Drain issues.

When Temp > Freezing, "condensate" on inside of windshield/ windows is a tell-tale sign of water in battery well, or other water leak into interior.
George
Appreciate 0